U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
 
4 posts, read 9,828 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Austin from Singapore around summer 2008. We have a home in Raleigh that we will actually relocate from when we return from Singapore. We are looking forward to the move to Austin. Anyone looking for a home in Apex?

I would love advice from Locals regarding the best area to live with a REASONABLE commute to IBM. Our wish is that we LOVE to be by the water. Any body of water. I presently receive home listings from the following areas: River North, CLS and Lakeway. We also like what is happening at Lakeway Marina. There are so many beautiful homes to select from, but from reading the threads I see that traffic is a problem. Did I read that there is a train system? Will that help a commuter to IBM?

We are in our 50's, so we would love a relaxing pace, close access to water activity, walking trails, etc. Single family or Luxury TH developments, no more than $550.000 price range.

I will also be searching for a teaching or school administrator position. I am happy to work anywhere in the Lake Travis School System.

Please help us narrow the search as it is all very overwhelming, but very exciting as well.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 AM
 
212 posts, read 1,023,923 times
Reputation: 78
First thing to factor in your decision is the property taxes here. They are roughly 3% per year or $16,500 per year on a $550K house.

There is no train system here for commuters that I have seen. Lake Travis area is great, that is the direction you'd want to be looking I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
14,436 posts, read 31,750,599 times
Reputation: 7769
I assume that you will be working at the IBM site located in N. Austin in the MoPac/Burnet road area? If so, Lakeway will be a nasty commute. You might try looking at the north shore of the lake (volente area, maybe).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
 
1,035 posts, read 4,213,447 times
Reputation: 201
Here's an article about the comuter rail that's starting up next year. The station in Leander is open (currently running buses to downtown and UT) The article lists the planned train stops from Leander.

News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | LOCAL NEWS (http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=181903 - broken link)

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/downloads/METRO-0330%20METRORAIL_REV (broken link)[1].pdf

Volente is a good idea, Trainwreck : )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
 
290 posts, read 1,115,372 times
Reputation: 82
that commuter rail will not help someone working for IBM. If you live in Austin, and work for IBM, you will need a car to get to work. $550k can get you a nice house in Austin, but notice the property tax. I complain about mine from late November till late January every year..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
 
32 posts, read 139,332 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Here's an article about the comuter rail that's starting up next year. The station in Leander is open (currently running buses to downtown and UT) The article lists the planned train stops from Leander.

News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | LOCAL NEWS (http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=181903 - broken link)

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/downloads/METRO-0330%20METRORAIL_REV (broken link)[1].pdf

Volente is a good idea, Trainwreck : )
Any idea where the terminal will end downtown?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 AM
 
7,444 posts, read 13,166,907 times
Reputation: 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmganfield View Post
We will be relocating to Austin from Singapore around summer 2008. We have a home in Raleigh that we will actually relocate from when we return from Singapore. We are looking forward to the move to Austin. Anyone looking for a home in Apex?

I would love advice from Locals regarding the best area to live with a REASONABLE commute to IBM. Our wish is that we LOVE to be by the water. Any body of water. I presently receive home listings from the following areas: River North, CLS and Lakeway. We also like what is happening at Lakeway Marina. There are so many beautiful homes to select from, but from reading the threads I see that traffic is a problem. Did I read that there is a train system? Will that help a commuter to IBM?

We are in our 50's, so we would love a relaxing pace, close access to water activity, walking trails, etc. Single family or Luxury TH developments, no more than $550.000 price range.

I will also be searching for a teaching or school administrator position. I am happy to work anywhere in the Lake Travis School System.

Please help us narrow the search as it is all very overwhelming, but very exciting as well.

Thanks!
As someone else said, volente and jonestown would be your best bets. Also north 620 (not sure if it is leander or cedar park) would be good as well. If you arent on the water there is a ton of cheap land. If you want waterfront the land itself will probably run 200-300K. Houses are anywhere from 200-500/sq ft.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 AM
 
1,035 posts, read 4,213,447 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfpilot View Post
Any idea where the terminal will end downtown?

The map link I posted didn't work so I found another one. Acutally, the whole "All systems go" website is full of information about future plans, etc.

All Systems Go Long-Range Transit Plan - CapMetro
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
 
468 posts, read 1,141,415 times
Reputation: 199
Default capMetro transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
The map link I posted didn't work so I found another one. Acutally, the whole "All systems go" website is full of information about future plans, etc.

All Systems Go Long-Range Transit Plan - CapMetro

The transit system is almost ready to open, is that right?
How has this affected real estate & business in austin's suburbs over the past couple years?

I assume that outlying real estate near the stations would go up - as people are able to live further out of town and simultaneously lower commute time.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: central Austin
7,233 posts, read 14,441,367 times
Reputation: 3900
It is not going to change much at all! Right now, they are planning 7 trains inbound in the morning! Capacity will be around 1100 people.

This is not the El starting up! It is still Texas, most people trying to get to most places will need a car. You can get around on the bus but it will slow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top