Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM

318 posts, read 670,219 times

Advertisements

I have been here almost a year, so it's time to renew the vehicles.

I was able to pay for the registration (and got my stickers already), but I have not gotten an inspection done.

My research suggests that I should have an inspection done as well. Does that sound right? Even though I already have the registration done?

In my previous town, the registration couldn't be processed until the registration was done. But since it didn't say anything about it in the registration packet for renewal, I am confused.

I am in Williamson County, if that is a piece of info needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
You have to have the inspection done annually. If you have Texas plates/registration sticker, but have no inspection sticker, you're going to be pulled over sooner or later.

So the answer is, yes, you have to have an inspection done. You'll have to provide proof of insurance when you get it or they can't do it, by law.

This is throughout Texas.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
The exception that applies most often is the '2 year' sticker that comes on new vehicles. If you had a new vehicle for one year and renewed the registration sticker, you would not need the inspection done for the second year. Check the inspection sticker on your windshield. It should have the expiration date clearly visible.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,147 times
Yeah, look at the date on front of the sticker. The state doesn't send you a reminder, like for registration, so it's easy to forget.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
And it is a standardized cost, although some places will sometimes offer a coupon for a few dollars off.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
And it is a standardized cost
...by county. If you go to a county that requires an emissions test (Travis does, not sure about Williamson), you will pay a lot more than in a county that doesn't require emissions testing.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...by county. If you go to a county that requires an emissions test (Travis does, not sure about Williamson), you will pay a lot more than in a county that doesn't require emissions testing.
... but you have to be tested in the county you are registered in.

For those not in the know, in more heavily populated counties, like Travis, you're required to get an emissions test in addition to the safety test, and that costs more.

Here's the official state website on the topic:

TxDPS - Vehicle Inspection Program

Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
but you have to be tested in the county you are registered in.
That would be new, then...I thought if you were registered in an emission testing county, then you had to be tested in an emission testing county, even if not the same. I got my car tested in Houston a few years back while I was there, even though I am registered in Travis, never thought about it. If you are not required to do emissions testing, I think you are free to go anywhere (even if they end up doing and charging you for a test).

Old 07-26-2012, 02:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
That would be new, then...I thought if you were registered in an emission testing county, then you had to be tested in an emission testing county, even if not the same.
Erkk, that's what I meant. If you are registered in an emissions-test county (see the list on the website I posted) you can't go to a non-emissions test county to get your sticker.

Better?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Correct on the cost. Per the article linked, here are the counties that require emissions testing:

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include:
Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.

By the bye, the last few days of the month and the first couple of the month are usually a bit busier than mid-month at many of the inspection stations. I think StickerStop offers a small discount for not being a 'deadline' customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin