Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 AM

166 posts, read 445,950 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm originally from Louisiana but have been living in Oregon for the last four years. I'd really like to move to Texas or Louisiana, specially Austin, Dallas or New Orleans, to be closer to my family but I'm concerned about the job market. Out of those three cities, would you guys happen to know which one would be easiest to find a legal assistant job with benefits (health, 401K.) I have 3 years in records/reception at a medium sized firm and 2 years experience as a legal assistant at a patent/ip firm. How difficult would it be for me to find a fulltime job as a legal assistant with benefits in Austin? What is the legal assistant market like? I really want to move back but I have a stable job here and it's difficult to give up to start all over again. But I really miss my family! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Chris,

the legal market in Austin is ok, but not overwhelming. I'm a legal secretary/assistant who relocated from NYC eight years ago. In NYC, well paying jobs in my field were aplenty, even after 9/11. When I moved here, the pickings weren't what I was used to. They're definitely not meager, but might not be what you are used to. The legal industry here is also pretty tight knit, in some ways Austin is a "big small town" in that regard. Dallas might be your best bet since there are a number of big law firms there. There are many big law firms in Austin (Fulbright, mine, Vinson & Elkins, Greenberg Traurig) too, so I dont' really want to dissuade you from Austin either. I'd recommend using a legal staffing agency or maybe try indeed.com. There are many small, local firms here, but they don't really pay that much (often they are hourly) and some may not offer benefits.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the info Riaelise! I really appreciate it. What is the best legal staffing agency to go through in Austin?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Also, what is a typical starting salary and how much can one expect to make after say, 5 to 7 years of experience? I've heard legal assistant salaries in Austin are pretty low compared to other places.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Also, what is a typical starting salary and how much can one expect to make after say, 5 to 7 years of experience? I've heard legal assistant salaries in Austin are pretty low compared to other places.
My wife was a bankruptcy and intellectual property assistant in california. Out there she made about 60K as an IP legal assistant with 2 years of experience. When she came to austin in 2000 she found that she would make about 35K so she ended up not doing it at all.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Wow, that is a huge pay drop. Did she end up doing something outside of the legal field? That is really discouraging. Have you heard that things are better in Dallas? I've been hearing people say that. I'm hoping the pay is better in Dallas because otherwise I might just have to stay where I am despite really missing my family and wanting to move closer.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Wow, that is a huge pay drop. Did she end up doing something outside of the legal field? That is really discouraging. Have you heard that things are better in Dallas? I've been hearing people say that. I'm hoping the pay is better in Dallas because otherwise I might just have to stay where I am despite really missing my family and wanting to move closer.
She ended up doing bookkeeping instead where she could make about 48K.

I think the issue is that IP/Patents arent very big here. Maybe if you did some other kind of corporate or governmental law the story might be different.

Also companies like IBM have in house legal staff so you might want to look into those jobs.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Austin seems to be over-saturated in this skillset, from what I hear/see.

I'd try Dallas and Houston first.

New Orleans - great place to visit, not so much to live, plus it's small.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks scrckr. Those are helpful insights. I'm starting to feel like Dallas or Houston would be better locales for my line of work. I prefer Dallas to Houston. I just hope I can be happy in Dallas. I'm relatively liberal, a Buddhist and tend to like things that are quirky rather than mainstream. Do you think I would fit in ok there?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
In NYC, I'd be making 70-80+K, sans overtime. I make in the 60s (with overtime being a nice bump) here but the standard of living is comparable, if not better! The legal field isn't as dominate here in Austin as it is in say Dallas or Houston. Also, those two cities believe it or not pay MORE and the cost of living is less. Both cities have big law presence -- there are quite a few international firms that do not have Austin offices, ie Baker & McKenzie, Jones Day, etc. However, there are certain other things that Austin has that is appealing, so if you are really considering Austin, I'd suggest submitting your resume to such agencies as Attorney Resource, Co-Counsel (i think that's what it's called), I'm kind of "meh" about Burnett Staffing but if you want to give them a try, go ahead.

When you say "legal assistant" do you mean paralegal or secretary? Are you open to being employed as either depending on what's available? I'm currently a legal secretary who also does paralegal work (but doesn't bill, thereby saving the client money). I have 17 years total experience, but have only done litigation for four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin