Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Taxes will be different (not sure how of which way) and utilities will be different providers (at least some of them). Not sure any of that is critical - commute and neighborhood will probably be a much more significant difference.
I spot checked a modest looking property in Lakeway on the Travis County Tax Assessor website, and found that it would be appraised a lot higher then a similar property in Austin, yet the lakeway property and school district taxe rates were still lower then it would be in Austin. So you pay more for the property, but you pay lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
You probably need to go looking for homes in both. In may come down to where you can find the type of house you want.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 PM

58 posts, read 256,201 times
Yes, there are tons of kids in Lakeway! That's all changed and improved in the last several years. There's a local mom group here with 150 moms in it, mostly all from Lakeway and Bee Cave. We love Lakeway, feel free to PM me with any questions. :-)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I think if you spend a day or two touring houses in each area, one will emerge as a front runner for you. You'll have a lot more options at your doorstep or just beyond in CC. Lakeway has a strong sense of community pride, and a distinctly different feel.

One area is not "better" than the other, but I think more people would choose Circle C over Lakeway than vice versa.

Steve

Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM

116 posts, read 213,011 times
Someone above mentioned sidewalks, and while it may sound crazy to some, that's one of the reasons we chose Circle C over a couple of other neighborhoods. We like the safe walking access to so many things in the neighborhood: school, pool, park, coffee, ice cream shop. If we could make some kind of cut through, we could even walk easily to the Alamo and home after a few drinks.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 10,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Sounds to me like you know a good amount about both already.
How often do you think you will be coming into town or going downtown?
We will probably be going into town 2-3 times a week I'm guessing.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwfjw View Post
We will probably be going into town 2-3 times a week I'm guessing.
That would definitely tilt things toward CC unless you're very "drive tolerant".

Looking at it on Google Maps versus driving it are two different things. Also, some parts of Lakeway are "deep" into Lakeway, so you're spending time just getting to 620 before the real drive starts, which will be either Hwy 71 or Bee Cave Rd.. Both nasty, crowded, windy drives.

Don't get me wrong, Lakeway is great, but I think some people underestimate how "out there" it is. For a stay home mom with a commuting tolerant husband and some kids, A+. For dual commuters to downtown or NW Austin, "D" for location. For you guys, 2 or 3 times a week coming into town, somewhere in between.

Steve

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That would definitely tilt things toward CC unless you're very "drive tolerant".

Looking at it on Google Maps versus driving it are two different things. Also, some parts of Lakeway are "deep" into Lakeway, so you're spending time just getting to 620 before the real drive starts, which will be either Hwy 71 or Bee Cave Rd.. Both nasty, crowded, windy drives.

Don't get me wrong, Lakeway is great, but I think some people underestimate how "out there" it is. For a stay home mom with a commuting tolerant husband and some kids, A+. For dual commuters to downtown or NW Austin, "D" for location. For you guys, 2 or 3 times a week coming into town, somewhere in between.

Steve
We faced this very choice. Many things to love about both. It wasn't so much the distance to town as it was the quality of the roads to get there and back. The getting in and out of Lakeway was something we recognized as well. But the big issue was the nature of the roads - Bee Cave, 71, or SW Parkway. VERY dark at night. Compare that to Circle C - divided, limited access lit freeway almost literally to your front door. So we went SW. Yesterday was a perfect example of the wisdom of that. Home this week, so I went to S. First for BBQ at JMueller's, picked up baked goods at Sugar Mama's, and a few things for dinner at Central Market. No way I would have driven from Lakeway to do that, even mid day.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
No way I would have driven from Lakeway to do that, even mid day.
Because there aren't baked goods or BBQ in Lakeway?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Because there aren't baked goods or BBQ in Lakeway?
Yea, you're right. All BBQ is the same. Bill Miller's, Snow's - machts nicht zu mir. Actually, I drove by three places that are just as good as Buster's in Lakeway to get to JMueller. "Good enough" BBQ wasn't the issue.

As far as baked goods, if the LT area is such a great market, then why did Hey, Cupcake and Bountiful Cafe quit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin