Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 35,421 times

Advertisements

I haven't been fishing in years. I completely lack the skill, equipment, and possible endorsements required to do so, but, I want to go fishing. I've seen people with rods around Town Lake and Barton Springs, is that kind of thing legit? If I were to join them on the banks of the lake would I get chased off by the police or a guy with a bongo drum?

Keep in mind I don't have a boat or anything, but does anyone know of a good fishing spot? The closer to Central Austin the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Yes, you can fish there, but there are other places to go. Most of them are far away from central Austin however. Fishing is really popular on Lake Buchanan, since there aren't as many people jetting around in massive boats ala Lake Travis. Granger and Georgetown are also good fishing Lakes. Probably Bastrop too. You can get a fishing license at any Walmart or Academy or Cabellas

Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
We have been going out to Sandy Creek Park on Lake Travis in Cedar Park and its pretty quiet during the weekdays and we have caught some fish also (couple of bass)

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Yeah, guess I'm just mostly thinking weekend. I know there are spots on Travis where it's pretty easy to catch something. I also imagine in the boating "off" season the fishing would be great too.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM

44 posts, read 189,371 times
The state record for the largest striper was broken just below Mansfield Dam from the bank.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 28,901 times
Way to ignore globochem's question fellas. I realize this post is 4 years old, but seeing as how it is the first link to come up when searching "places to fish in Austin", it deserves an answer in earnest.

While there are certainly places near Austin that are not are not as overfished as Town Lake, the question was where to fish nearest to Central Austin, which would in fact be Town Lake, or Lake Austin just a few miles upriver to the NW.

Here are a couple of Texas Parks and Wildlife links that focus on fishing information and sites in and around Austin:

[url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/gofishing/austinfish/[/url]
[url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_k0700_1216.pdf[/url]

In the second link, number 2 explains where to fish on Town Lake, as marked on the map as 2a, 2b, and 2c. You can fish these areas from the banks, or with small watercraft. Also, you don't need a fishing license if you are in any state park (assuming you paid the usually nominal fee to enter, check with each park for daily fees). McKinney Falls State Park, where the TPWD is headquartered, is around 10 miles or so south of downtown Austin and will supply you with fishing gear (rods, reels, tackle) for FREE (you can borrow artificial lures when the visitor's center is open, or buy live bait--usually mealworms & earthworms--in the park).

While you may have a better chance of "success" fishing a little further out from Austin where there are areas that are not as overfished (stressed by fishing pressure), success is a state of mind. I've never regretted a fishing outing even when I spent all day without catching anything. Being outdoors, in relative solitude with nature, or among others who share your appreciation can be therapeutic. Just remember, it's called fishing, not catching, so don't be too hard on yourself or give up on it if you don't pull in "the big one" your first time out. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 28,503 times
I am from Ft. Worth and have a number of fishing spots up here. I take my wife to the crappie houses in the area, Does anyone know of any crappie houses in the Austin area, or, any type of fishing barge?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
TPWD website has a schedule that shows when lakes and ponds are stocked Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Fishing & Boating

Dont forget your fishing license the money goes back to TPWD 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin