Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 10,406 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new to city data. Have a few questions.... some may seem completely absurd.

I'm looking for work in the fitness field and am having a hard time in N.J. VERY competitive here & the market seems swamped. What's the job market there for fitness? Also, I'm having a hard time up here in N.J. with the 'tough' attitudes. Not to sound like a weakling, but it may not be for me -my personality. I'm an outgoing, upbeat and friendly. Finding it pretty hard to relate to people here. Constantly find a 'get lost' attitude or a 'yea, nice to know you, but can't talk now' attitude. Has anyone who has lived in NJ (and moved to Austin, TX) felt this way?? I guess you have to have a certain personality to be happy here or maybe just a real tough skin! Thanks, any info would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
I think there are any number of places that would be friendlier than what you describe, Texas being one of them. Fitness is big in Austin, with lots of people participating, but I know nothing about the market for jobs in that area. Make sure that whatever you do in fitness would be fine when the summer heat is over 100 degrees. We spend a lot of time here (months) in pretty extreme heat. There are probably lots of friendly places that are not as hot.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,385 times
A buddy of mine moved from NJ to Austin and vastly prefers Austin (he grew up on the Jersey shore). Anecdotal of course, but as somebody who grew up in neighboring Delaware and then spent time in NYC, you couldn't pay me to live in Jersey. Maybe in the far western part near PA.

Jersey is very densely packed and I've never cared for the stereotypical attitudes one encounters there if we're speaking in broad generalizations. I have several friends from there but all of them left the state!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,258 times
Fitness is big here. Lots of people trying to make a career in the field. I've seen a lot of people starting up fitness based businesses. Those with a good product or service and hustle are successful and still in business. Plenty others come and go.

Lots of big chain health clubs (Lifetime, Golds Gym, 24 hour fitness, etc.) and the past few years smaller franchise centers (Curves, Koko Fit Club, etc.) and everything in between, including some pay as you go places popping up in old abandoned supermarket buildings.

Seems like Boot Camp and Cross Fit is the latest rage. A friend runs a boot camp series, does personal training and sells supplements on the side and seems to be doing OK.

Check out Austin Fit Magazine. Seems like they have been in publication a few years. It may give you some more ideas about the options.

Austin Fit Magazine

I'd say attitudes are positive about fitness. Most people are friendly and just want to help others with fitness advice. I'm sure there are a few of the tough types, too, but for the most part you will find people are nice.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM

49 posts, read 188,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin50stars View Post
Hello. I'm new to city data. Have a few questions.... some may seem completely absurd.

I'm looking for work in the fitness field and am having a hard time in N.J. VERY competitive here & the market seems swamped. What's the job market there for fitness? Also, I'm having a hard time up here in N.J. with the 'tough' attitudes. Not to sound like a weakling, but it may not be for me -my personality. I'm an outgoing, upbeat and friendly. Finding it pretty hard to relate to people here. Constantly find a 'get lost' attitude or a 'yea, nice to know you, but can't talk now' attitude. Has anyone who has lived in NJ (and moved to Austin, TX) felt this way?? I guess you have to have a certain personality to be happy here or maybe just a real tough skin! Thanks, any info would be great!!
I can definitely relate to your situation, I am trying to get a job in the Criminal Justice field here in NY, but the waiting lists are as thick as a phone book! I consider myself thick skinned enough here to survive but cant enjoy how everyone here is so unfriendly, self centered and judgmental. They only time I talk to my neighbors is when they believe I have disrespected them in some way! Either my dog defecated on their lawn and I purposely didn't pick it up or if I had a few people over the house and one of my guest happens to park more towards their property rather than mine , other than that its not so much as a wave or smile. That being said I hope to be in Austin by this time next year at the lastest Good luck to you and your search!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM

314 posts, read 817,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin50stars View Post

Well it might be an east coast thing? I'm a native south Floridian and pretty much tired of the nastiness that goes on around here. Don't get me wrong, there are a few nice people you bump into but overall the personalities you meet are not so great. A lot of people here are impatient, self centered, or just plan right uneducated who obviously did not learn any manners from their mother. I am too thinking about moving to Austin, I know nastiness lingers everywhere but down here it is excessive.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
That is so interesting. I'm convinced it's a northern thing. I live in maine but while I think they're very friendly, New Englanders are so much more unfriendly than those down south. I spent a few days in Northern Florida and was so surprised how friendly and conversational people were. Here, if I say something I think is funny, or joke in line at the supermarket, I get met with blank stares. Crickets. Down there, everyone was receptive to new comers, would just stop to chit chat, men were super polite. Completely gone up North.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM

314 posts, read 817,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2Susan View Post
That is so interesting. I'm convinced it's a northern thing. I live in maine but while I think they're very friendly, New Englanders are so much more unfriendly than those down south. I spent a few days in Northern Florida and was so surprised how friendly and conversational people were. Here, if I say something I think is funny, or joke in line at the supermarket, I get met with blank stares. Crickets. Down there, everyone was receptive to new comers, would just stop to chit chat, men were super polite. Completely gone up North.

I'd like to say south Florida is like the New York of the south. There is nothing "southern" about soFL. All of the transplants are from the Northeast and if not there then south America. There are a lot of rude people and I could relate to the rudeness that is being mentioned coming from people from the northeast.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,092 times
Fitness is big in Austin? Hmmm, something must be wrong with that statement. Where did all these overweight smokers come from then???

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think there are any number of places that would be friendlier than what you describe, Texas being one of them. Fitness is big in Austin, with lots of people participating, but I know nothing about the market for jobs in that area. Make sure that whatever you do in fitness would be fine when the summer heat is over 100 degrees. We spend a lot of time here (months) in pretty extreme heat. There are probably lots of friendly places that are not as hot.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,437 times
From the people I've known in the industry there, the fitness industry is very competitive and pays very low to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin