Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM

19 posts, read 31,637 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure about that chicagorunner.

Although there seems to be a core older generation that likes things that way - I think there are probably a lot of families that just put up with it because the area is nice and the school district is great.

And although there are some areas that are sterile in the sense that the lawns are well manicured, I don't think it's nearly as cookie cutter as other obvious suburban alternatives like Cedar Park and Circle C from what I've seen.

I must have jinxed myself with the earlier post - I got a speeding ticket today. I was almost out to the 620 on Lohman Crossing and was talking to my daughter (usually that's when I get the ticket) and I foolishly gave my radar detector to my mate so I could figure out what was wrong with the 2nd one. Grrrr...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlucksandiego View Post
I must have jinxed myself with the earlier post - I got a speeding ticket today. I was almost out to the 620 on Lohman Crossing and was talking to my daughter (usually that's when I get the ticket) and I foolishly gave my radar detector to my mate so I could figure out what was wrong with the 2nd one. Grrrr...
Here's a trick I use that works much more reliably than any radar detector made, especially where the cops are aggressive, like they are in that area. I know, it's not a terribly popular method, and it might seem kind of old fashioned, but it really works. Best of all it is cheaper than cheap, and doesn't need any batteries or cords, and it works in all kinds of weather. And the proof of the pudding is that I've never gotten a ticket in that area. What I do is, I make sure I never drive over the posted speed limit. Try it, it really works!

Seriously, give it a try.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,959 times
^^^^lame...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that chicagorunner.

Although there seems to be a core older generation that likes things that way - I think there are probably a lot of families that just put up with it because the area is nice and the school district is great.

And although there are some areas that are sterile in the sense that the lawns are well manicured, I don't think it's nearly as cookie cutter as other obvious suburban alternatives like Cedar Park and Circle C from what I've seen.

I think Lakeway may be considered less "cookie cutter" than Circle C because there are more custom homes on larger lots in Lakeway. But to me Lakeway is more conforming, more homogeneous in many ways (racial, religious, socio-economic, political, etc.). I never owned a home there (rented a condo), so I probably didn't feel the full pressure of control. But I talked to one person who faced very stiff fines because her dog went into a neighbor's yard, and another person who was glad that the new "yard enforcer" no longer carried a ruler to measure everyone's grass (but it within their program to do that.) I am not a big speeder, but I always felt oppressed by the fact that there were so many police cars out there trying to get you for going a mile or two over the limit. This is especially hard on Lakeway Blvd, where there are sizable hills, and it is hard not to go a little faster when going down hill.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
I think it is inaccurate to talk about Lakeway and "speed traps." A speed "trap" is something done by some communities to generate revenue from speedling tickets, usually by reducing the speed limits suddenly and surprising you with a police officer.

Lakeway doesn't have speed traps. The speed limits throughout are LOW, and they enforce them. I think the only place with a speed limit greater than 30 MPH is a short stretch on Lohmans Crossing Rd. closest to 620.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM

436 posts, read 1,615,021 times
on the police-- for the speed limit, I just set my car on cruise. yes, it seems silly, but otherwise I go too fast on lakeway blvd, esp. downhill. also as mentioned, the police do enfore but I have to tell you, a less than 5 minute response time is pretty nice when you need it. It's a trade off I'm willing to make.

as far as enforcement of zoning laws-- we haven't had a problem. just pay attention to when you cut your trees and don't trim oaks at the wrong time of year. grass heights and landscapes vary by owner. maybe some areas of lakeway are more controlling in that regard but in the older/non-hoa sections, this isn't a problem.

same with "cookie cutter-ness"-- perhaps in some of the new sections that might be true, but not in the older areas. I don't think I've ever seen two houses look alike. (and some of the older sections have new custom houses currently being built- not all homes in the older sections are "old".)

Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM

19 posts, read 31,637 times
OpenD thanks for the advice! People that would drive slow anyway love getting to give this snarky helpful tip.

Grasshopper - I know what you mean about the oppressiveness, time will tell if it is too grating on me. I have to admit that it has been surprising to me how authoritative Austin is in general. Or maybe in the past I always found it interesting from a distance that Austin seemed to be so free/independent thinking while being the capitol - and maybe that was simply untrue. (e.g. the acceptance of the way the occupy Austin protesters are being treated - entrapment, etc.)
So far, it has just been a choice to take the bad with the good. It is very nice to be able to see the dear families hang out in yards, have our children walk freely on the street and get a sense as to what is safe, see neighbors walk around at night feeling safe. We were at the Iguana grill the other night and some native Texans were real nice and stopped by to chat and I just don't see that happen as much with a lot of the transplants from either coast. So I don't equate friendliness with ethnic diversity (I am NY born Chinese and mommy is a redhead from OH)

needsomeinfo - agree about the ease with which you can accidentally break the speed limit just by coasting. Maybe I should try the cruise control - I've always assumed it wouldn't work well with manual transmission, especially below highway speeds, but some experimentation may be in order.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
OpenD thanks for the advice! People that would drive slow anyway love getting to give this snarky helpful tip.
I don't drive slow at all. I drive right at the posted speed limit, whether that be 15 mph or 85 mph, weather conditions permitting. And it wasn't meant to be snarky, it was actually meant to be practical. Yes, tongue in cheek, but eminently practical. Wherever someone else is headed with a lead foot, I'll get there almost as fast and be far more relaxed about it. I have friends who spend fortunes on radar detectors and speeding tickets and attorney fees and increased insurance premiums, but I have none of that. And I don't know why something so obvious is so widely overlooked, since it actually works.

Quote:
needsomeinfo - agree about the ease with which you can accidentally break the speed limit just by coasting. Maybe I should try the cruise control - I've always assumed it wouldn't work well with manual transmission, especially below highway speeds, but some experimentation may be in order.
I use the cruise control the same way. I set it at the speed limit and then just monitor that I'm not getting too close to the vehicle ahead. It's amazing how much less stressful it is to drive that way. But I don't think most cruise controls engage below a highway speed of at least 35 or 40, too fast for the 30 mph zones in Lakeway. And personally I've only seen them on automatic transmissions.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
Quote:
Grasshopper - I know what you mean about the oppressiveness, time will tell if it is too grating on me. I have to admit that it has been surprising to me how authoritative Austin is in general. Or maybe in the past I always found it interesting from a distance that Austin seemed to be so free/independent thinking while being the capitol - and maybe that was simply untrue. (e.g. the acceptance of the way the occupy Austin protesters are being treated - entrapment, etc.)
So far, it has just been a choice to take the bad with the good. It is very nice to be able to see the dear families hang out in yards, have our children walk freely on the street and get a sense as to what is safe, see neighbors walk around at night feeling safe. We were at the Iguana grill the other night and some native Texans were real nice and stopped by to chat and I just don't see that happen as much with a lot of the transplants from either coast. So I don't equate friendliness with ethnic diversity (I am NY born Chinese and mommy is a redhead from OH)
I don't mean to be too harsh on Lakeway. It is very beautiful land. Personally, I don't like seeing so many golf courses, and I would never live on one, but I am a greenbelt kind of person rather than a golf course kind of person. I like wild things. There are some very nice things about Lakeway, including the good schools, and I know lots of people love living there. I'm happier in Circle C, but everyone is different.

The deer population there is very controlled, too, but that is probably for the better. When the population gets too large, they relocate some. I was upset by their "a good coyote is a dead coyote" policy, but some people may think that's a good idea.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,287,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But I don't think most cruise controls engage below a highway speed of at least 35 or 40, too fast for the 30 mph zones in Lakeway. And personally I've only seen them on automatic transmissions.
My car is newer, but not fancy, and cruise control has a minimum of 25 mph. Wish it was 20, honestly, just for school zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin