Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM

19 posts, read 31,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't drive slow at all. ... And I don't know why something so obvious is so widely overlooked, since it actually works.
I use the cruise control the same way. I set it at the speed limit and then just monitor that I'm not getting too close to the vehicle ahead. It's amazing how much less stressful it is to drive that way. But I don't think most cruise controls engage below a highway speed of at least 35 or 40, too fast for the 30 mph zones in Lakeway. And personally I've only seen them on automatic transmissions.
Well, to solve the mystery of the obvious - it would seem that many people think that is slow LOL

I was playing around with my cruise control (on a 6 speed manual transmission) and it does work and the manual says down to 25mph - I played around with it and haven't seen it disengage at the bottom of 3rd gear.

I'm curious if the original poster's assessment has changed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,176 times
Building a home in Lakeway on a greenbelt. What do you mean they kill the coyotes! I thought that Lakeway was very environmentally friendly and that they wanted to conserve the natural beauty/species of the area.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesselingh View Post
I Building a home in Lakeway on a greenbelt.
Quote:
thought that Lakeway was very environmentally friendly and that they wanted to conserve the natural beauty/species of the area.
Ummm, these two statements do not go together. Yes, they killed the coyotes - as baby pups actually. Now, you get a protected greenbelt and a view.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM

o.k. so the house is on the greenbelt. How is being on the greenbelt equate with killing coyotes. My understanding was that Lakeway wanted to protect this huge piece of land for the wildlife. Again, what does killing coyotes do to protect a view.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,522 times
You're building on their homes. Encroaching on their territory. Taking away habitat. Removing hunting ground. Eliminating normal space for them. Running them over with your car. Poisoning them with your fertilizers and weed killers.

"Greenbelt" is a trumped up name for developer bulls!t of "we couldn't build here anyway, so now we surcharge you to back to it".

It's not being on the greenbelt. It's the house in the first place.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Yes, I agree with you. That is the very sad fact about humans and nature. We need homes which need ground which then encroach on all the native species. I am sure you live in a house which also displaced some wildlife. I do not agree with slaughtering any animals. I believe people think that coyotes are disposal just like feral pigs, prairie dogs, wolves, etc. I can go on and on and on. Funny thing, you make a lot of assumptions. As a matter of fact, I take great care NOT to use anything that can hurt my surroundings. I spend quite a of money feeding birds and any wildlife that is in need. I have never hit or ran over any animal in my whole life. I take great care when driving. You missed my whole initial point. I will state it again. Why does Lakeway kill coyotes? Who are they bothering? They do not pose any threat to humans. If you are stupid enough to let you cat or small dog out without any supervision, then yes something very bad will happen

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM

251 posts, read 398,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
^^^^lame...
Big time.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,769,855 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. That is the very sad fact about humans and nature. We need homes which need ground which then encroach on all the native species. I am sure you live in a house which also displaced some wildlife. I do not agree with slaughtering any animals. I believe people think that coyotes are disposal just like feral pigs, prairie dogs, wolves, etc. I can go on and on and on. Funny thing, you make a lot of assumptions. As a matter of fact, I take great care NOT to use anything that can hurt my surroundings. I spend quite a of money feeding birds and any wildlife that is in need. I have never hit or ran over any animal in my whole life. I take great care when driving. You missed my whole initial point. I will state it again. Why does Lakeway kill coyotes? Who are they bothering? They do not pose any threat to humans. If you are stupid enough to let you cat or small dog out without any supervision, then yes something very bad will happen
Actually, you missed his point. By building onto greenfield you automatically increase sprawl and encroach on neighbor and impact your world in a way that urbanites never do.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
You might have heard about this incident. http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...traps-1/nRWD6/ Lakeway resident Lance Mitchell was arrested back in 2009 for trying to warn motorists about a speed trap ahead. He was jailed and charged with four different crimes, all of which months later were adjudged not-guilty. He then sued the City of Lakeway. Three years later the litigation was settled with Lakeway paying Mr. Mitchell an undisclosed settlement fee. Also the Senior Sgr. James Debrow who was responsible for these tickets no longer works there.

Speed Trap Ahead » All Matters of Mitchell vs. City of Lakeway, et. al. have been resolved

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-26-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidFilm View Post
First of all, I love these forums and all of you are wonderful for all of the information you provide for prospective imports. And, yes, this is another question about living in Lakeway.

So, my husband and I are looking at Lakeway, we have been reading this forum and aren't too excited about the speed traps we hear about with Lakeway Police, but it also makes us really nervous about how controlling they seem to be over your property. They sound like some of the bad HOAs we hear about. Does anybody have any experience with Lakeway being too controlling with your property? We have a lot of ideas for our house and we know that we will have to do work on anything we buy, so how bad is their permit process? Are they very controlling with interior remodeling as well? Also, besides the speed traps, permit procedures and things of that nature, are there any other ways that Lakeway can be oppressive? My husband and I are very easy going and we like things around us to be easy going, as well so hearing about all of this makes us nervous.

We just love what we see of the area, though and we are looking at houses near the resort because we really love the idea of becoming members of the resort, to use their pools and fitness center and all that, does anybody have any experience with a membership there, as well?

Thank you!
You can read the building codes here, which include things like maintenance requirements for residential structures and landscaping requirements. http://z2codes.franklinlegal.net/fra...02,%20div%2011

I did not see anything in it that was unusual for interior modifications. They will be required to meet modern building codes. They do require permits for things like reroofing a house, which is not required everywhere. City of Lakeway, TX - Official Website - Permit Applications & Forms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin