Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,852 times

Advertisements

First of all, I love these forums and all of you are wonderful for all of the information you provide for prospective imports. And, yes, this is another question about living in Lakeway.

So, my husband and I are looking at Lakeway, we have been reading this forum and aren't too excited about the speed traps we hear about with Lakeway Police, but it also makes us really nervous about how controlling they seem to be over your property. They sound like some of the bad HOAs we hear about. Does anybody have any experience with Lakeway being too controlling with your property? We have a lot of ideas for our house and we know that we will have to do work on anything we buy, so how bad is their permit process? Are they very controlling with interior remodeling as well? Also, besides the speed traps, permit procedures and things of that nature, are there any other ways that Lakeway can be oppressive? My husband and I are very easy going and we like things around us to be easy going, as well so hearing about all of this makes us nervous.

We just love what we see of the area, though and we are looking at houses near the resort because we really love the idea of becoming members of the resort, to use their pools and fitness center and all that, does anybody have any experience with a membership there, as well?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM

15,238 posts, read 35,431,654 times
I don't live there, but drive through there pretty much weekly to get to Lake Travis. Yep, there is almost always a Lakeway patrol car or two on 620, but the funny thing is, we have never gotten a speeding ticket - presumably because we are at or near the speed limit. You do have to be careful in that the road is easy to speed on, but as long as you don't, it isn't a problem as far as we can tell. Other than hwy 620, I can't vouch for.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

326 posts, read 681,441 times
Lakeway isn't too bad. I've lived in Lakeway, The Hills and now Lake Pointe. Lakeway and Lake Pointe are both similar with their HOAs. They're present and will notify you of trash cans left out for too long - stuff like that. However, The Hills is 10x worse. We got a ticket from the security guard almost once a week for the silliest things. It was horrible and way too controlling so we moved. I would avoid all of the gated communities in the area if you're looking for a relaxed, easy going vibe.

What you hear about the speeding in Lakeway is true though. Lakeway Boulevard is 30mph the entire way. If you're going 35mph, they will pull you over. This is why people complain about the amount of time it takes to get out of Lakeway - because of the low speed limits. It can be tough at times to go 30 for the entire length of Lakeway Blvd. If you care about that sort of thing, I would suggest looking for a property closer to the front of Lakeway.

As far as working on your house, as long as you don't do anything like paint your house orange, the permit process is smooth. Also, there should be no problem with updating the interior.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
I lived in Lakeway for 12 years. It is a very nice place. But when it came time to move to a bigger house (our kids were older and we needed more space) we moved out of Lakeway. I'd say half the reason was we wanted a place less controlling and less comforming. Lakeway doesn't have an HOA, but it is just about the same because everything an HOA does is simply a Lakeway ordinance. I don't like getting letters in the mail because we had a visiting friends' boat parked in our driveway for three days. Etc. I was never aware of any serious interest in what happened inside a house. They care very much what your fence looks like and what direction your garage faces.

Some people like that kind of enforced style. I don't. So I live in Spicewood instead.

There are many very nice people in Lakeway. They do nice things with parks, parades, etc. The speed limits are crazy low, and enforced strictly. The schools are excellent and it is beautiful.

More concerning today is their thirst for annexation, the control they gain with it, and property taxes.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,696,604 times
Is this controlling enough for you?

"I'm tired of everyone wondering where their pet is — ‘Where's Buffy?' " Council Member Earl Broussard said. "Well, I know where Buffy is. Let's go ahead and take care of these coyotes. Kill them all."

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,640,201 times
Lakeway is beautiful but we just couldn't live there because of the police force-- and we are the ideal boring, thoughtful, law-abiding citizens but I don't want to have to look over my shoulder the whole time.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
I will say that my few occasional interactions with Lakeway police have been very positive. I think they are good people. But they policies they enforce are "tight." If you had an emergency, they would be good to have around.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,461 times
I have lived in Lakeway since 2004. They have the same problems as other areas. Drugs in school, crime in the area, speed traps, city code enforcers, etc. The city council is full of old people that do not like change and were always trying to raise taxes to get things built. Good thing we reached the limit....

Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 AM

19 posts, read 31,471 times
I moved here to Lakeway just a couple months ago. I thought the speed limits/enforcement would really be a killer for me, luckily I work from home so I don't have to commute through it every day. I have a lead foot, so I've been very watchful - and the radar detector helps quite a bit. Also, once you are here and see all the nice deer walking around it will make more sense - also the lack of sidewalks takes some getting used to.

No experience on the permits yet, although we are going to put up a small shed in the backyard and will eventually do something with a large flat area over the patio that is strong enough to put a room on (all of a sudden 4000 sq feet doesn't seem big enough and our last house was 2200 huh?!). I did expect to be yelled at about our long grass since our yard grooming capacity was wiped out and we had to go buy things like lawn mowers all over again - but no one complained and we finally got to take care of it last weekend - the weather was nice enough to do it in the middle of the day and avoid the west nile mosquitos :-)

One thing I was bummed about was that the cool aquatic center closes the kiddie part for much of the year. We are going to the Y 25 minutes away for fun swimming on weekends right now. The resort pools are also unheated - maybe the new owners, the Carlyle group, will improve things (for once LOL!)

I think we're at a pretty good spot, but if you are looking at two similar houses you may want to drive around some, because having to go across the entire residential area can add 10 to 15 minutes to your drive easily.

We really like the little waterfall area on Sailmaster which we finally got around to hiking.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM

28 posts, read 65,156 times
This is helpful information; but one additional thing you may consider...

Think of all the people who live there. If you move there, what kind of people do you think you'll be living next to? The kind of people who are ok with all overbearing rules, who want everything to be cookie-cutter, generic, sterile, ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin