Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

I am from India and planning to move from Bay area to Austin. I have got mixed opinions from people that I live in the Bay area itself, but I thought I should ask you all.

My son is attending challenger school here and we are going to enroll him to challenger school at avery ranch, tx. How is the school ?

Whats a good apartment to stay near the school as my spouse doesnot drive. I was thinking of settling down with Riverton apartments but if you think there are better apartments please let us know.

Also are there lot of play parks nearby the place ?

Your answers will be really helpful in making a decision for me and my family.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,077,491 times
I am not familiar with the Avery Ranch area, so I can't say anything about that (sorry), but I also moved from the Bay Area. I can tell you that unless they have lived in Texas or have family here, Californians have very little knowledge about Texas. (I think the reverse is true also.) Before we moved, I noticed that people almost universally frowned when I said we were moving to Texas (they think of conservatives and big oil), but when I said Austin, they said "Oh.....I hear that's OK." The impression is just one of Austin being more liberal or open minded than the rest of the state. My point is that Californians generally cannot help with giving any information about or impression of the state or of Austin, and you are right to seek input from Texans.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,307,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am not familiar with the Avery Ranch area, so I can't say anything about that (sorry), but I also moved from the Bay Area. I can tell you that unless they have lived in Texas or have family here, Californians have very little knowledge about Texas. (I think the reverse is true also.) Before we moved, I noticed that people almost universally frowned when I said we were moving to Texas (they think of conservatives and big oil), but when I said Austin, they said "Oh.....I hear that's OK." The impression is just one of Austin being more liberal or open minded than the rest of the state. My point is that Californians generally cannot help with giving any information about or impression of the state or of Austin, and you are right to seek input from Texans.
Sounds similar to my experiences on the east coast. When I was visiting Boston, people would ask me where I was visiting from, and they would respond with 'ooohh' in a descending tone when I said Texas. But when I said Austin, suddenly the life came back to their face and let out an ascending ooohh, that's cool. Fascinating.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM

84 posts, read 224,962 times
Avery Ranch is situated really close to Champion Park, Brushy Creek Park and Brushy Creek Sports Park.

Also, the Brushy Creek Regional Trail runs East/West through those three parks and into West Cedar Park ending at Twin Lakes.

Great area for parks!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,859,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Sounds similar to my experiences on the east coast. When I was visiting Boston, people would ask me where I was visiting from, and they would respond with 'ooohh' in a descending tone when I said Texas. But when I said Austin, suddenly the life came back to their face and let out an ascending ooohh, that's cool. Fascinating.
I personally find that a bit annoying and unfair to the rest of Texas.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM

84 posts, read 224,962 times
That is so true. Californians have a totally different view of Austin vs. rest of Texas.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,268,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
And really, really inaccurate (but, then, most stereotyping is).

Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,920,586 times
Quote:
True, unless you want to start arguing politics with the locals, I have never noticed much difference in the way people treated you in most parts of Texas. They are all pretty easy going, polite, helpful if you ask for assistance, and mind their own business otherwise.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM

554 posts, read 742,645 times
Default Moving from SF Bay Area to Texas

Quote:

Me, too! That condescending 'tone' is all-too-familiar when heard from colleagues and (so-called) friends who've never lived in Texas.
Austin, while a great place for younger, hip, intellectual, and well-educated types - may not be the cure-all and end-all for those who believe they're God's Gift to humanity.

If you are there and not liking it, we used to have a bumper sticker, years ago; it said:
"If you Don't Like Texas ... Leave!"
And, for those who look down their noses at what the Texan culture represents (independence, liberty, and a 'mind-your-own-bidness' attitude), maybe they should reconsider relocating there.
Sorry ... I don't want to make anyone mad. But, "when you're runnin' down my Country, Hoss, you're standin' on th' fightin'-side of me!" (Merle Haggard)

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,024,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Austin has great marketing, and has been mostly treated well by the media and writers. The other cities in the state, not so much.

But yes, the mindset about Texas from many on the coasts is idiotic sometimes.... sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin