Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,299,884 times

Advertisements

Give it a year, and most people will not even realize there was a time when there was grocery bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,995 times
I've been using my own bags for a few years now.
But I still think biodegrable plastic is a good idea on disposables, and needs to be used more.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,731,489 times
To paraphrase Jon Stewart: the plastic bag ban combines the draconian overreach of government that people love, with the probable lack of results they've come to expect.

It's not going to stop littering. Most of us have found those little plastic bags to be quite useful secondarily (to line trashcans, take litter, etc.). In fact, Bed Bath and Beyond sells a handy little dispenser to store the plastic bags that many of us have been using for years. It won't cut down our use on plastic bags (still have to line trash cans, still have to take out the litter) but it will make out lives a bit more inconvenient and a bit more expensive.

Congratulations do-gooders, mark up another entirely meaningless victory.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 AM

83 posts, read 200,148 times
Default what's the point

The point of banning plastic bags is not to impact local economy or make businesses or jobs suffer. Neither is it to force one to buy re-usable bags.

The point is to keep plastic, non degradable, here-for-forever, out of our landfills, a demonstrated, documented problem in urban communities, including Austin. And, with easy access to domestic high grade oil gone and domestic supplies of even the poorer grades dwindling, it makes sense to minimize non-neccessary petroleum use. Keeping the myriad plastic bags off of our city roadways would be nice too. Banning plastic bags is a good start.

Anyone visiting IKEA on a weekend afternoon would agree that a "no bag" policy won't hurt business.

And if having free plastic bags is a real issue, one can always raid the plastic bag recycling bin at your local HEB and stock up for the coming drought.

I didn't read to the beginning of this thread--don't see this mentioned so forgive if I'm repeating.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrix View Post
The point of banning plastic bags is not to impact local economy or make businesses or jobs suffer. Neither is it to force one to buy re-usable bags.

The point is to keep plastic, non degradable, here-for-forever, out of our landfills, a demonstrated, documented problem in urban communities, including Austin. And, with easy access to domestic high grade oil gone and domestic supplies of even the poorer grades dwindling, it makes sense to minimize non-neccessary petroleum use. Keeping the myriad plastic bags off of our city roadways would be nice too. Banning plastic bags is a good start.

Anyone visiting IKEA on a weekend afternoon would agree that a "no bag" policy won't hurt business.
Agree that the no-bag policy won't hurt business...people still gotta eat.
Disagree that this will accomplish anything. Until someone invents an econimic alternative to plastic liners I'll just be purchasing them and also potty bags for the pets...
So all you've done is made my life a little more annoying and a little more expensive. Thanks.

Last edited by Komeht; 08-18-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM

499 posts, read 1,300,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Disagree that this will accomplish anything. Until someone invents an econimic alternative to plastic liners I'll just be purchasing them and also potty bags for the pets...
So all you've done is made my life a little more annoying and a little more expensive. Thanks.
Unless your dog is dropping a big enough doo that you need a full sized grocery bag every time, you can get by with smaller bags = less plastic in the landfill. Plus, you can buy biodegradable pet waste bags.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Unless your dog is dropping a big enough doo that you need a full sized grocery bag every time, you can get by with smaller bags = less plastic in the landfill. Plus, you can buy biodegradable pet waste bags.
The land fills are no big deal. As natural resources become more scarce, landfills will become gold mines. I think that will happen long before we run out of room for land fills.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
In case you didn't know, we live in Texas. Landfill space is not a problem.
You're right that I can buy pet waste bags. I can also buy trash can liners. Thank you very much for accomplishing nothing and adding two chores and expenses to my life. Sleep better?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM

499 posts, read 1,300,444 times
Yes, much better

Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
80 large stores, 700 small stores. Response rate was 3%. 23 stores is not a large enough sample to draw any conclusions.
"Response rate was 3%" is good...... Mass mailers wanting to sell you something say that a 1% response is good.....when stores like wally world send out a mass mailing if 3% showed up the store couldn't hold them all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin