Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Posting this story because Austin has a plastic bag ban going into effect next year.
This article is about a study done one year after the bag ban went into effect in a California city.

Study: Plastic bag ban affects spending | KXAN.com
A report from the National Center for Policy Analysis says a study done in communities that have banned the use of plastic shopping bags results in shoppers going to areas that do not have such a ban -- affecting revenues and employment.
NCPA says it surveyed store managers in Los Angeles County, which has had a ban since July 2011, and the results show an impact on store revenues and levels of employment.
According to the NCPA study , there was a 10 percent reduction over the one-year periods studied, both before and after the ban on plastic bags. In comparison, 60 percent of the areas without the ban showed a 9 percent average increase in sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Posting this story because Austin has a plastic bag ban going into effect next year.
This article is about a study done one year after the bag ban went into effect in a California city.

A report from the National Center for Policy Analysis says a study done in communities that have banned the use of plastic shopping bags results in shoppers going to areas that do not have such a ban -- affecting revenues and employment.
NCPA says it surveyed store managers in Los Angeles County, which has had a ban since July 2011, and the results show an impact on store revenues and levels of employment.
According to the NCPA study , there was a 10 percent reduction over the one-year periods studied, both before and after the ban on plastic bags. In comparison, 60 percent of the areas without the ban showed a 9 percent average increase in sales.
Makes complete sense, on one level. Not sure I'd personally drive out of the way for plastic bags, especially in Austin traffic.

"Honey, I'll be back in a few hours. I'm driving to Pflugerville to buy some groceries".

But we do in fact put them to good use in many ways around the house. Mainly as trashbin liners, extra wrapping for frozen food, lunch totes during the school year, etc.

Steve

Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Even though we live inside the Austin city limits, the closest grocery stores are in Round Rock(kinda sorta Brushy Creek) and Cedar Park. I almost always use a 'permanent' bag, but I reckon I won't have to worry if I forget. Maybe we should widen Parmer Lane up here where it crosses into Cedar Park. No wonder HEB is expanding that store!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times
I have to question the legitimacy of this study. The NCPA is a conservative think tank. There is an obvious motive for wanting to prove this. And the effects of a ban, if any, are most likely milked in order to advance their agenda. I'd like to see a study done that is neutral, and that actually produces an outcome based on more than one area.

Last edited by Austinite101; 08-16-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for plastic bags. Talking to a couple in their 70s/early 80s a few days ago who remember groceries being delivered in metal crates, which I guess lasted quite a while. I think stackable, nested crates/bins might be the way I go forward with this. I already have some at home anyway.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I have to question the legitimacy of this study. The NCPA is a conservative think tank. There is obvious motive for wanting to prove this. And the effects of a ban, if any, are most likely milked in order to advance their agenda. I'd like to see a study done that is neutral, and that actually produces an outcome based on more than one area.
I have to agree. When reviewing a study, the first thing to look at is who is doing the study, and do they have in interest in the results coming out one way or the other. The second thing to look at is how the study was actually conducted, including too small a sample (as in just one location.)

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
This is a non-issue, IMHO. If you don't remember to bring a bag with you, you'll buy a reusable bag for a dollar. No big whup.

Do that enough times and you'll start remembering to bring the reusables bags with you. No big whup.

Drive out of my way to get a free plastic bag? Are you serious?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times
HEB gave out free reusable bags some months ago.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
HEB is 200 yards from my house. The nearest non-COA grocery is probably Randalls/HEB in Westlake, 8 or 9 miles away (maybe more?). I could buy new reusable bags every time and come out way ahead.....

Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

80 large stores, 700 small stores. Response rate was 3%. 23 stores is not a large enough sample to draw any conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin