Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You realize he started this very informative thread, right?
Bingo! Not only that, the kid's idea of how cities should be built is on a more rational path.

And also, this idea of "if you weren't born here, you're not free to comment" is asinine. I can understand if you don't live there as of now, although I'd still wager that in a discussion board anyone is free to comment.

But any citizen of any city is not only free to comment but free to make a change for the betterment of the city, regardless of where that person was born. No one gets a license of entitlement of any kind just because you were born in that city and that's something that Austin citizens need to learn to deal with. The city will continue to change, diverse people will continue to move in and so I think its in everyone's best interest to be aware of these changes and accept them and work together to make something truly unique and remarkable for the city. And this attitude of "I was born in this city, my opinion matters more than yours," just doesn't fly and that's something you have to deal with. That attitude makes you sound like those pretentious rich people from Berkeley who think they are entitled to a cheaper cup of coffee than a tourist. And I'm sorry but that's not the attitude that people have learned to love about Texas, let alone Austin.

Last edited by migol84; 08-21-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM

258 posts, read 323,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Look, I understand your dislike of crowded areas. My parents are the same way. I know because even here in San Francisco I avoid all the areas where I know there will be lots of foot traffic with annoying people shoving you and pushing you everywhere you go.

But let me just say, you're a true southern at best, because Austin is in fact no way as vibrant as these urban mega cities like San francisco, Los Angeles, let alone New York. I can assure you, you can still walk in just about anywhere in downtown Austin and there will be no one sharing the sidewalk with you.

What people want is to have better public transportation, and not be so spread out. Is that so much to ask for? Austin is not as crowded as you think it is. It's just your perceptions are set too in the past where the population was like what Victoria or Waco is now.

And when you mean, "nobody goes there anymore" what you are saying are all your friends and relatives who are your age. That is "everybody" to you. But there are so much more people, in fact more than your "everybody" who'd wanna live in downtown whether you see it that or not. That is a reality.

I agree with you. Valid points

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
The hell I'm not. I was born in this city, and I will most likely die in it. I've never lived more than 1000ft. from DT, minus the two years I spent in Tokyo. This city is my home and I have "experienced" this city more than 4/5ths of the Austinites in this city. You have no right to tell me I'm not "qualified" to comment. You don't even live in Austin anymore I don't know what it is with old fogies like you who think there is an age of which youth are able to comment on important matters. There isn't.
As someone who is now in my 40s, I am thrilled that someone as young as yourself is as interested and informed on local/global issues as you! I sure as hell wasn't at 17

As someone who also teaches and interacts with young people daily (college-age), I can attest to many other younger folks who are well-informed. Sure, experience is beneficial and necessary for a longer lens, but the case could be made that the older one gets, the less likely they are to accept new ways of thinking.

I applaud you - keep it up!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
The hell I'm not. I was born in this city, and I will most likely die in it. I've never lived more than 1000ft. from DT, minus the two years I spent in Tokyo. This city is my home and I have "experienced" this city more than 4/5ths of the Austinites in this city. You have no right to tell me I'm not "qualified" to comment. You don't even live in Austin anymore I don't know what it is with old fogies like you who think there is an age of which youth are able to comment on important matters. There isn't.
I think your opinions are as valuable as anyone else. On this topic especially. Living in Tokyo for two years exposed you to a large urban environment with a dense population, so you have a perspective most of us haven't experienced.

For the record, I've lived in Austin since 1985, when I was 23 years old. I'll turn 50 next month. I think Austin is a great place to remain youthful even as I age, and I enjoy the age mix that is abound. I'll never, never, retire to a Sun City or any other "active retirement" type community.

I'd love to live downtown, ride a bike around every day, hang at a favortie coffee shop, and be a semi-retired slacker/know-it-all. But that phase of life isn't quite here yet as my youngest has 3 more years of high school.

Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Looks good.

But you know you Austinites can say goodbye to this one:

6th & Congress (which was going to be the new tallest in the city) has been cancelled, for those of you who don't know. Shame, too. I would have loved to see it.

The property is being sold.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think your opinions are as valuable as anyone else. On this topic especially. Living in Tokyo for two years exposed you to a large urban environment with a dense population, so you have a perspective most of us haven't experienced.

For the record, I've lived in Austin since 1985, when I was 23 years old. I'll turn 50 next month. I think Austin is a great place to remain youthful even as I age, and I enjoy the age mix that is abound. I'll never, never, retire to a Sun City or any other "active retirement" type community.

I'd love to live downtown, ride a bike around every day, hang at a favortie coffee shop, and be a semi-retired slacker/know-it-all. But that phase of life isn't quite here yet as my youngest has 3 more years of high school.

Steve
The area I lived in had a pop. density of 85,000+ per sq mile. During the day, it swelled to 300K+. Definitely a one of a kind experience.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
The area I lived in had a pop. density of 85,000+ per sq mile. During the day, it swelled to 300K+. Definitely a one of a kind experience.
In my book, despite your relative youth, you have more knowledge, experience and wisdom about urban cities and issues than a hundred horse ladies. Thanks for your contributions - please ignore anyone who thinks you're too young to do so.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Oh and Austinite101, sorry about spending all your money. Wasn't my idea.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Oh and Austinite101, sorry about spending all your money. Wasn't my idea.
I hope your not talking about the 50 dollars I lost the other day.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
I hope your not talking about the 50 dollars I lost the other day.
No, I'm talking about the money you lost when my generation decided certain businesses were too big to fail, yet government was somehow not big enough. We thank you in advance for picking up the tab.

And all the more reason your opinion matters more! Need to keep the future workforce happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin