Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I disagree, and you are making assumptions, again. I've also been all over the country and to multiple other countries, as have many my age.
"Old" is relative, but it also means I've had real world work experience in multiple locations and cities, and have traveled for not just pleasure but for business.... rather than having just vacation or childhood experiences in other places. This fact shouldn't be disqualified or shunned.
That's good for you, but don't try to dismiss my opinions just because of this lack of "experience". If you disagree with me, then tell me. Don't go around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Hmm...it's unfortunate that this thread is descending into a personal argument about what is "old" or who is more knowledgeable or perceptive. There have been many good opinions from a lot of different people so far in this thread. Also, traveling or even living in another place doesn't automatically qualify anyone's opinion as superior. That's just anecdotal observation.

On another note, one thing that I haven't seen plans for, are more downtown parks. In the lustful pursuit of more buildings, this seems to be overlooked a bit. Why not clean up some of the existing spaces (Republic park, Shoal Creek) and add some more PUBLIC green spaces in the downtown area? Lady Bird Lake is great but I'm talking about those nice little parks dotted through many cities CBDs.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
On another note, one thing that I haven't seen plans for, are more downtown parks. In the lustful pursuit of more buildings, this seems to be overlooked a bit. Why not clean up some of the existing spaces (Republic park, Shoal Creek) and add some more PUBLIC green spaces in the downtown area? Lady Bird Lake is great but I'm talking about those nice little parks dotted through many cities CBDs.
Perhaps because parks don't bring in the tax revenue like buildings/highrises do? I'm not surprised in the lack of attention.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
How is it a personal insult to your character when I say that you probably say that about any building?
Because it was dismissive of what I had said, and it was totally a projection, based on nothing but your own imagination.

Quote:
Nonetheless, fair enough... I personally didn't think the T Stacey Tower was all that great either.
Thank you. I rest my case.

Quote:
It's just that I hear it over and over from so many people that no matter how great the architecture is people will speak of it negatively just because its a skyscraper.
That wouldn't be me.

Quote:
It's understandable to dislike it for being in the way of the Capitol, having a strange modernist architecture and also for being oddly placed.
My complaints are #1 and #3. I find the architecture interesting. I just can't see it at that site. Context is everything. No matter what direction you come at it from that tower would be an alien, dominating presence towering over the area... diminishing The Blanton Museum, diminishing the Bob Bullock Museum. And using the Planetarium project as a Trojan Horse to sneak an over-tall condominium project into that area, which would clearly serve as blockbuster for further skyscraper development up there, would not serve to unite UT with the Capitol area, but rather to seriously divide them.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
My complaints are #1 and #3. I find the architecture interesting. I just can't see it at that site. Context is everything. No matter what direction you come at it from that tower would be an alien, dominating presence towering over the area... diminishing The Blanton Museum, diminishing the Bob Bullock Museum. And using the Planetarium project as a Trojan Horse to sneak an over-tall condominium project into that area, which would clearly serve as blockbuster for further skyscraper development up there, would not serve to unite UT with the Capitol area, but rather to seriously divide them.
I think I agree with this as well. The UT/Capitol area should stay mid-rise and in scale with the building around the Capitol. In other words: a "Capitol District". There is plenty of room south of that to develop high rises. It's important establish districts based on use and aesthetics. Case in point: Houston's willy-nilly sprawl of high-rise development.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,748 times
Quote:
The city is spending $147 million to fix Waller Creek and build the tunnel. Once that is done the city is planning on spending $60 million plus an additional $60 million match from private donations to do a face lift on Waller Creek.

There is a huge exciting competition that many of the most famous and well respected designers in the world are trying to win, to design the new Waller Creek.

Once the tunnel is done there will be the pond @ Waterloo Park and the creek will use water from the lake to run constantly. So if it floods it uses the flood tunnels and during dry seasons it reverses that water from the lake to keep it going.

Last I heard they were going to announce the winner and the plan for the face lift in October. I am very excited! Can hardly wait! There are so many very very different designers going for it, it is impossible to guess at what the winning plan could look like. All those designers have done so many wildly different things.

Also, they are doing the part of Auditorium Shores trail head right by Congress Bridge. That should be nice. And C3 is putting up some money to try to fix up Auditorium Shores itself. And the board walk is being done right now to move the trail off the streets onto the lake east of there.

Republic Square Park is going to get redone. They don't know how they will redo Republic Park but there are lots of ideas going around. It doesn't get near as much use as it should. No one seems to know why. lol. But they are trying to figure out some way to redo it, so that more people will use it and possibly incorporate the farmers market into the new plans better.

For Brushy, something needs to be done with the house. lol I like Wooldrige. It is to bad the other park block was given to the Baptist, paved over, and turned into a church.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-22-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Because it was dismissive of what I had said, and it was totally a projection, based on nothing but your own imagination.
Yes it was meant to be dismissive because its a silly opinion. You are not silly, just your opinion. And if there was an imagination is that I thought you were just another one of those people who just hate towers for arbitrary reasons. An opinion that I also find pretty silly... much like my friend who dislikes Scorsese films for reasons I stated before or people who think that Manchaca is pronounced "man-shack". If I confused you for those then yes, that was an imagination and you deserve my apologies. But keep in mind that I'm not insulting anyone's character... just the opinions of those who say such things.

Albeit, I find you a nice person and very engaging as I agree with you on so many other issues. I just don't see why is it that people can't take a taste of their own medicine when being facetious. We are adults, save for Austinite101 and there is just no need to get our panties in a bunch. We're discussing and having fun at the same time.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Seriously divide them? Do you think there is some cohesiveness as of now? There is virtually no scene in the area. It's not any better as you may be putting it. There is no foot traffic, no nothing. It's dead mostly 24/7 and something like this may liven it up a little. And it seems to me that that in and of itself would actually tie the Capitol area with UT. Not just on street level but also through the skyline. You don't think that the skyline looks oddly shaped as of now with the UT tower on one far side and the Capitol somewhere between that and the Austin skyline?

I always thought that area could use more skyline to combine downtown with the UT tower making an impressive sight. On the contrary with what you are saying, I think it ties everything well on all cylinders. Obviously that one tower will not do the work, but as you say it will be like a Trojan Horse to sneak more towers in and that's the idea... that's why I'm in favor of this. The area is dead.. period. These projects serve to make it more lively, on street level and skyline.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The city is spending $147 million to fix Waller Creek and build the tunnel. Once that is done the city is planning on spending $60 million plus an additional $60 million match from private donations to do a face lift on Waller Creek.

There is a huge exciting competition that many of the most famous and well respected designers in the world are trying to win, to design the new Waller Creek.

Once the tunnel is done there will be the pond @ Waterloo Park and the creek will use water from the lake to run constantly. So if it floods it uses the flood tunnels and during dry seasons it reverses that water from the lake to keep it going.

Last I heard they were going to announce the winner and the plan for the face lift in October. I am very excited! Can hardly wait! There are so many very very different designers going for it, it is impossible to guess at what the winning plan could look like. All those designers have done so many wildly different things.

Also, they are doing the part of Auditorium Shores trail head right by Congress Bridge. That should be nice. And C3 is putting up some money to try to fix up Auditorium Shores itself. And the board walk is being done right now to move the trail off the streets onto the lake east of there.

Republic Square Park is going to get redone. They don't know how they will redo Republic Park but there are lots of ideas going around. It doesn't get near as much use as it should. No one seems to know why. lol. But they are trying to figure out some way to redo it, so that more people will use it and possibly incorporate the farmers market into the new plans better.

For Brushy, something needs to be done with the house. lol I like Wooldrige. It is to bad the other park block was given to the Baptist, paved over, and turned into a church.
I think the hope is it will become a mini Riverwalk like San Antonio. But I hope not, I hope it's not touristy. I don't really like the Riverwalk. Last time there, a few months ago, we couldn't even eat outside because of all the birds aggressively trying to get food from the plates on tables.

Steve

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Quote:
I think I agree with this as well. The UT/Capitol area should stay mid-rise and in scale with the building around the Capitol. In other words: a "Capitol District". There is plenty of room south of that to develop high rises. It's important establish districts based on use and aesthetics. Case in point: Houston's willy-nilly sprawl of high-rise development.
Look - the "Capitol District" here in Austin is BY FAR the worst use of land in town. I would suffer a thousand upper Burnet blvds. over that lifeless, soul-less barren wasteland. The really criminal part is - It's freaking smack dab right in-between two of most foot traffic friendly areas of Austin - the CBD and UT. It's an urban crime and the very idea that we should be protecting this nuclear wasteland is absolutely absurd.

Does the Planetarium Bldg. work in context? My goodness gracious no! And thank god for that. The VERY LAST thing that area needs is more single use mid-rise buildings with attached parking lots the size of a city block.

Is it perfect? I have no idea - but it is a START. And we should be jumping for flippin' joy over the thing. Not arguing over whether it's too tall and will overwhelm the scale of the nearby parking lots.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think the hope is it will become a mini Riverwalk like San Antonio. But I hope not, I hope it's not touristy. I don't really like the Riverwalk. Last time there, a few months ago, we couldn't even eat outside because of all the birds aggressively trying to get food from the plates on tables.

Steve
You should look at the projects those architects have done. I know one of the architects bidding worked on the Mint Plaza here in San Francisco. It's not touristy and there are local venues like Blue Bottle and some wine bars. Anyways, here's a website to give you an idea what it looks like. It may not be the best comparison since the Waller Creek will be at a larger scale, and quite frankly... who are we kidding. Anything is better than what Austin has now.

Anyways... here's this website on the Mint Plaza.
Google Image Result for http://www.localecology.org/images/sf_mintplaza_raingarden_1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin