Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
This is what Austin could look like without infill - BTW - this IS what Dallas and Houston looked like in the 1970s.

If you want to live in the days where we had low density and acres of nice surface parking lots to park our amply sized cars - then here's your paradise.

Personally, I like what's happening.
This is what gets me. All those who always gripe and say that by building infill is trying to be like Dallas or Houston, when in reality those WilCo NIMBYs who hate the infill in DT Austin and want to protect the parking lots that are being built on are in fact the ones who want Austin to be like Dallas or Houston. It doesn't surprise me the strongest protectors of the downtown Austin parking lot wasteland are those from the Round Rock area and not from Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I would hope so. That area is mostly office, so it is a 9-5 kind of area. It needs residential and that tower would introduce that to midtown.
I don't agree that every area needs to be like every other downtown.

Matter of fact, that is one reason I really, really strongly object to the planetarium tower plan. If allowed to go forward it would literally be a "block buster," opening the floodgates to other over-sized projects in that corridor which will serve to overwhelm the infrastructure and totally alter the visual horizon behind the Capitol complex.

Nope. I'm ok with the various highrise projects on tap for south of the Capitol development, but lets keep them in that area.

Sorry, the planetarium project is great, but I think it's the wrong place for a skyscraper.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:17 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
thats a nice looking skyline! I wish SA wasnt still stuck in the 19th century. Our skyline sucks.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
BevoLJ, if you'll read, you'll see that I said it looks like Dallas did back in the day, not how Dallas looks now. I said that very carefully, but apparently fruitlessly.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
BevoLJ, if you'll read, you'll see that I said it looks like Dallas did back in the day, not how Dallas looks now. I said that very carefully, but apparently fruitlessly.
Still offices, that look very different. Additionally they laid waste to many older buildings to make way for the big boxes they built. Both what they built, how it looked, and the destruction they caused by building them are are all completely different. How do they seem similar? I wasn't even close to being born back then so I don't know. I honestly want to know what it is about them that seems similar, because to me everything about them could not possibly seem more different. Which is why I am having a very hard time understanding where you are coming from when you say such things. Not trying to come off as abrasive, though I probably do, it is just that it seems so weird to me that it could be suggested I can't understand it.

Dallas 1960's:

From KRLD Radio Dallas: http://www.akdart.com/vtr/jpeg/37-02rzy.jpg

Dallas 1970's:

From John T Roberts on Dallas Architecture: http://www.dallasarchitecture.info/skyline-1-1978.jpg

Austin today:

Photo by KevinFromTexas on SSP: A little bit of Austin - SkyscraperPage Forum

DT by BevoLJ, on Flickr

The only buildings I can see in Austin that could even remotely resemble anything in Dallas (and even then a big stretch to me) are buildings built 30 years ago. Not anything from the past 30 years and certainly not anything planned for the near future in Austin.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
This is what gets me. All those who always gripe and say that by building infill is trying to be like Dallas or Houston, when in reality those WilCo NIMBYs who hate the infill in DT Austin and want to protect the parking lots that are being built on are in fact the ones who want Austin to be like Dallas or Houston. It doesn't surprise me the strongest protectors of the downtown Austin parking lot wasteland are those from the Round Rock area and not from Austin.
Oh my god! I just threw up in my mouth a little!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Oh my god! I just threw up in my mouth a little!
Lol, I know! Any wonder they created the tunnels? I wouldn't want to have to see that either!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
thats a nice looking skyline! I wish SA wasnt still stuck in the 19th century. Our skyline sucks.
I'm sure that time will come someday.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
I'm sure that time will come someday.
SA really needs to build some scrapers downtown and stop looking like a tuxedo with brown shoes

Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 PM

JW Marriott - 408ft.

Whoops! Almost forgot the JW. This one's cranes are going up in the next couple of days. Gosh we are about to add countless 400 footers. Good thing some 500 and 600 footers will accompany them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin