Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite007 View Post
I wonder how many people put off creating a family because they cannot get good health insurance coverage or cannot afford to pay out of pocket for it even at a place that is intended for the uninsured.
Um, every responsible person I know (myself included) has put off creating a family until they could afford to do so. I thought that's what you're supposed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 44,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Um, every responsible person I know (myself included) has put off creating a family until they could afford to do so. I thought that's what you're supposed to do.
Yes, I agree that is how things should be handled. I did not consider doing so until things were in order in the line of finances and health insurance. It might seem crazy to some to put off creating or adding to a family because of the lack of full health insurance coverage for pregnancy/maternity/complications but frankly I was too scared to do it without full insurance coverage.

What I meant was I would like to know some statistical numbers as to how many people put off becoming pregnant because of the lack of full health insurance coverage for pregnancy/maternity/complications. To my surprise there are some people I have meant who are having children without maternity insurance but have coverage for pregnancy complications. In other words, if you have a normal healthy birth process, you end up paying 100% out of pocket but if there is any complications they are solely covered under that type of policy. This is where Texas falls short on individual coverage if you can even get accepted into a health insurance policy.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,033 times
Default Insurance is Impartant

It is very important thing give a insurance with maternity coverage. maternity is greatest thing in the world. so Health Insurance texas gives great insurance for us because there maternity coverage. We don't wont fear anything else because protect maternity. I Think This is a Great affect of yours . thank you texas.

Last edited by sampathecd; 11-17-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Most obgyns will charge you a flat fee for maternity. We were quoted $4000 for everything.
Same with the hospital. And you have other options including midwives and birthing centers.
If you cannot afford this, you are telling me you can afford a kid?
Spare me, please.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
This.

We waited till we had both the time and the money.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
This thread was an eye-opener for me. I consider myself extremely fortunate in that I've had group coverage at every job I've had since college. I realize how lucky I have really been now. I had my child while covered by Kaiser Permanente and paid $10 for each prenatal visit and $75.00 total for delivery service. Having never been in an independent market for insurance, I simply never considered maternity coverage as an 'extra'. All reproductive services were covered with the 3 different plans I've had throughout my adulthood and I wrongly assumed this was just a standard benefit.

With that in mind, my heart goes out to those finding themselves in this situation. Family planning is key, but is not 100% effective. Pregnant women in Texas are seeing fewer choices than ever for them to ponder, so as I now consider the difficulty of many people in obtaining maternity coverage, I really do empathize with those caught in that unfortunate situation.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This thread was an eye-opener for me. I consider myself extremely fortunate in that I've had group coverage at every job I've had since college. I realize how lucky I have really been now. I had my child while covered by Kaiser Permanente and paid $10 for each prenatal visit and $75.00 total for delivery service. Having never been in an independent market for insurance, I simply never considered maternity coverage as an 'extra'. All reproductive services were covered with the 3 different plans I've had throughout my adulthood and I wrongly assumed this was just a standard benefit.

With that in mind, my heart goes out to those finding themselves in this situation. Family planning is key, but is not 100% effective. Pregnant women in Texas are seeing fewer choices than ever for them to ponder, so as I now consider the difficulty of many people in obtaining maternity coverage, I really do empathize with those caught in that unfortunate situation.
That problem has been solved. Maternity/newborn and pediatric services are now essential services every plan has to have (unless grandfathered).

All plans will cover maternity/newborn/pediatric services .

And even though you only paid $75 out of your pocket that was not the actual cost to have a baby.
Did you ever wonder who paid the rest of your bill ?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That problem has been solved. Maternity/newborn and pediatric services are now essential services every plan has to have (unless grandfathered).

All plans will cover maternity/newborn/pediatric services .

And even though you only paid $75 out of your pocket that was not the actual cost to have a baby.
Did you ever wonder who paid the rest of your bill ?
The monthly insurance premiums that I paid went into Kaiser Permanente's fund to provide care for its insured members. Am I at fault somehow for not analyzing this exchange of money-for-services-rendered more deeply than that?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
I don't know why, but after reading threads like this I don't know how anyone can live in this country.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Lets face it womens issues are expensive and they still typically leave the workforce after a child for extended periods of time sometimes permanently. Insurance is a business. They should not be forced to provide coverage for women who may become pregnant at some point. Children are expensive and thrive in 2 parent homes. If you plan on having a child you should be married and the man can add his wife as a dependent on his insurance to cover maternity. If you are female and unmarried with household income under 100k you dont get pregnant. If you cant handle that than you should remain a virgin until a man chooses you. Other countries are able to have universal coverage and inexpensive maternity and neo natal care while providing ridiculous things like maternity and paternity leave because of stuff we dont know about but clearly dont want. Families are not important but are very very important. How difficult is that to understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: