Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 51,188 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving my family out to Austin and was wondering how some other interacial couples felt about texas and how their kids felt about the schools and making friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

124 posts, read 700,515 times
I can't speak for Austin, but you should not have a problem there at all. It is a progressive city. I have a close friend who is in an interracial marriage and she adores Austin.

I live in Houston. Houston is an international city with people from all over the world. As a person who is in a multicultural family, I find the people in Houston to be very accepting of my family.

The areas in Texas where you may find problems will be in the rural areas. I never had problems in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, or Houston. That is not to say that you will never run into a person who is a racists because racism exist everywhere. However, you can rest assure that your family will be accepted in Austin.

No matter what city you choose to live in just select an area that has a great school district and one that is culturally diverse.

By the way, to checkout the school ratings and campus profiles in Texas Schools go to Welcome to the Texas Education Agency and you can post a thread about the best school districts in Austin.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM

12 posts, read 56,998 times
We live in small town Kyle (just south of Austin) and we have not had any issues regarding our multicultural family. My husband is white, I'm pacific islander, and all is well here. We're from Southern California (Boo, I know-- we're one of those many transplants, LOL), and coming from a region that is as diverse as SoCal, we are pleased with our new surroundings. We don't tolerate racial drama. So far, so good!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 96,115 times
I'm also living in Kyle, and I'm Asian (Chinese) and I haven't really experienced any form for racism in this small town or in Austin. Just when I go to HEB in town, I get some people that may look at me and possibly think, "where on earth did we get an asian guy in this town?" I've moved from southern California( yes, another transplant) where it's very diverse and lots of interracial couples living all throughout Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and etc.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM

102 posts, read 385,025 times
Austin is one of those wonderful places where people look past your skin.
Having been in the Army these last 6 years, I can only hope to find a place as comfortable, once again, for my progressive hubby and I.

MLE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin