Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Again, it's unproven that there was any offense. Keep that in mind.
I'm sorry, I've defended Lance Armstrong for all these years, goving him the benefit of the dougt. If he were innocent there wood be no reason to give up, he has every legal resource in the world.

He will be convicted by the USADA and stripped of his victories. This is very sad.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Lance Armstrong ended his fight over doping -- but who really cares? - More Sports - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Oddly enough, I agree with the author - I just don't care.....

If he was doping (and statistically, a vast majority of cyclists were/are), then he was damn good at it, since he was tested more than probably just about any athlete in the world and never tested positive. Maybe he was, I just can't get myself to care. Maybe because I (like many people) have suspected he might have for so long now. Regardless, his achievements still seem astonishing and his drive and his accomplishments off the bike still stand out.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Lance Armstrong ended his fight over doping -- but who really cares? - More Sports - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Oddly enough, I agree with the author - I just don't care.....

If he was doping (and statistically, a vast majority of cyclists were/are), then he was damn good at it, since he was tested more than probably just about any athlete in the world and never tested positive. Maybe he was, I just can't get myself to care. Maybe because I (like many people) have suspected he might have for so long now. Regardless, his achievements still seem astonishing and his drive and his accomplishments off the bike still stand out.
I don't care either. I admire his accomplishments and the good works he does. I don't think his name is tarnished by this. I think people understand that at some point, one has to pick his battles. Sometimes "winning" is more costly and damaging that just walking away from the fight. He's been fighting these types of accusations from haters going way back to the idiot French who didn't like him.

Roger Clements "won" his similar allegation in court, embarrassing the Federal Government and causing a lot of discussion about the subjectivity of some of these witch hunts and whether they are fair. That said, I don't think Roger's "win" helped him any more than Lance's "loss" will hurt him, because most people have an opinion that won't be changed by any of this anyway.

Lance Armstrong should remain the namesake of the bikeway. He's as Austin as Willie, the most celebrated pot smoker of all time. And Willie has a statue at the epicenter of Austin, the unveiling of which had copious amounts of reefer smoke wafting through the air. It would be more than moronic to devalue Lance Armstrong, his accomplishments and contributions to Austin and cancer research because of still unproven allegations that he doped.

Steve

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Lance Armstrong should remain the namesake of the bikeway. He's as Austin as Willie, the most celebrated pot smoker of all time. And Willie has a statue at the epicenter of Austin, the unveiling of which had copious amounts of reefer smoke wafting through the air. It would be more than moronic to devalue Lance Armstrong, his accomplishments and contributions to Austin and cancer research because of still unproven allegations that he doped.

Steve
His accomplishments in cycling will be erased from the books. He has chosen to not dispute these though he has both every legal right and every means with which to do so. The governing body will pass judgment and that, like it or not, will be the last word on the matter and of record.

I think it would be very difficult to proceed with the kind of accolades and honorifics knowing that the very thing he is being honored for has been nullified.

Now, if the city wants to honor him for his efforts and contributions to fighting cancer, that is fine. Certainly, no question where that is concerned. But I find it hard to beleive there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony, with all the pomp and circumstance, with no mention of his cycling career.

BTW, WN was honored for his contributions in music, not his dope smoking achievements, laudable though they may be. If it were revealed that someone else wrote all the lyrics and he lip synced all his songs, well, I think we'd have to rethink honoring WN as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
His accomplishments in cycling will be erased from the books. He has chosen to not dispute these though he has both every legal right and every means with which to do so. The governing body will pass judgment and that, like it or not, will be the last word on the matter and of record.

I think it would be very difficult to proceed with the kind of accolades and honorifics knowing that the very thing he is being honored for has been nullified.

Now, if the city wants to honor him for his efforts and contributions to fighting cancer, that is fine. Certainly, no question where that is concerned. But I find it hard to beleive there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony, with all the pomp and circumstance, with no mention of his cycling career.

BTW, WN was honored for his contributions in music, not his dope smoking achievements, laudable though they may be. If it were revealed that someone else wrote all the lyrics and he lip synced all his songs, well, I think we'd have to rethink honoring WN as well.
Every heard of "jury nullification"? This is the same. Public Opinion nullification. This is a good move on his part.

I have respect for Lance Armstrong, I have disrespect for his accusers and the USADA. I'm not saying I'm "right" nor do I know any facts. I just don't trust the system and I don't care if he doped. I'm simply explaining one Austinite's opinion following the announcement of this news, about this particular person. And I seriously doubt I'm alone.

Giving up a fight isn't the same as admitting wrong. I just settled a lawsuit with an idiot tenant last month. I was 100% in the right and could have proved it in court, 100%. But it would have cost more to prove I'm right than to just pay the tenant to go away and never bother me again. Lance Armstrong's decision seems perfectly logical to me. Now he can move on, and people can think what they want.

Steve

Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
WN was honored for his contributions in music, not his dope smoking achievements, laudable though they may be. If it were revealed that someone else wrote all the lyrics and he lip synced all his songs,
But did his smoking contribute to his music? Almost definitely . Your comparison would be more accurate if LA did not actually ride the tour himself.

And I have not looked at a record book of any kind in years, I just remember who was great at their sport.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Giving up a fight isn't the same as admitting wrong. I just settled a lawsuit with an idiot tenant last month. I was 100% in the right and could have proved it in court, 100%. But it would have cost more to prove I'm right than to just pay the tenant to go away and never bother me again. Lance Armstrong's decision seems perfectly logical to me. Now he can move on, and people can think what they want.

Steve
This is not a nuisance suit you settle to move on with your life. This is the crowning achievement of a career and one of the greatest and storied accomplishments in all of sports history. I find it hard, née impossible, to believe that you concede and have your name forever tarnished and your records stripped, your cause sullied, without fighting this all the way to the end unless there was truth to the allegations. Especially when he has every legal resources at his disposal. I'm sorry, up until 12 hours ago I would have defended LA against any and all accusers so long as he maintained his innocence and had not be found in violation. Just as I gave Roger Clemens the benefit of the doubt until he had his day in court. Conceding without guilt seems entirely implausible in this situation.

I feel very bad for him and this must be incredibly painful.

Obviously he is one of the most gifted athletes ever, and that he contributes greatly to is cause cannot be disputed and deserves a great deal of recognition and praise. Unfortunately, his achievements in sports have been effectively nullified and the first line of every biography from here on out will refer to his being banned from cycling and all his TdF victories stripped for cheating. Unfortunately, this is now his legacy.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But did his smoking contribute to his music? Almost definitely . Your comparison would be more accurate if LA did not actually ride the tour himself.

And I have not looked at a record book of any kind in years, I just remember who was great at their sport.
The point I was making is that WNs accomplishments, despite the dope, have never been at issue. He did write those beautiful songs, he did sing with the voice of the angels. Lance Armstrong will forever be associated with having been banned from the sport for cheating. It's impossible to honor him for the very thing he has now been stripped of.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Quote:
I don't care either. I admire his accomplishments and the good works he does. I don't think his name is tarnished by this. I think people understand that at some point, one has to pick his battles. Sometimes "winning" is more costly and damaging that just walking away from the fight. He's been fighting these types of accusations from haters going way back to the idiot French who didn't like him.

Roger Clements "won" his similar allegation in court, embarrassing the Federal Government and causing a lot of discussion about the subjectivity of some of these witch hunts and whether they are fair. That said, I don't think Roger's "win" helped him any more than Lance's "loss" will hurt him, because most people have an opinion that won't be changed by any of this anyway.

Steve
Agreed

Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: