Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,653,065 times

Advertisements

Lived in Bee Cave and barely had any bugs except an occasional scorpion but they were usually just outside the garage, or once in the bathtub upstairs BUT these massive roaches in Bouldin are horrid! In addition to others I keep finding in my kitchen (all dead) found a dead one in my dishwasher this morning-- after I ran it last night! I continue to keep my kitchen super clean and bleached and it has helped but not deterred them completely. We are moving off of Far West and I hope they are not as common there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
In addition to others I keep finding in my kitchen (all dead) found a dead one in my dishwasher this morning-- after I ran it last night! I continue to keep my kitchen super clean and bleached and it has helped but not deterred them completely.
It sounds like you are describing tree roaches, and no, keeping everything clean does not deter them because they don't care, they are probably just coming in from outdoors because of the heat and drought. The thing that would be most effective to deter them is finding out where they are getting into the house and sealing it up. Openings in the wall or floors around plumbing, and cracks without weatherstripping under doors are two common points of entry.

Tree roaches live in damp, decaying wood, and that's what they eat too. Unless you have a pile of wet logs in your kitchen, they are unlikely to take up residence there.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Those tree roaches are common all over Austin. If you didn't see them in Bee Cave you just somehow over looked them. It is not likely that they are coming int the house for food. They usually come into the house only for water when it is dry out side. Sprinkling a little boric acid powder around the baseboards and house foundation usually kills the roaches and keeps them from coming inside. HowStuffWorks "How to Get Rid of Roaches with Boric Acid"

It is non-toxic to humans but kills roaches. You can buy it at Walgreens. Pic*Boric Acid Roach Killer III Powder | Walgreens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: