Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM

33 posts, read 58,030 times

Advertisements

I am fresh out of college grad with BA in communications. Looking to move to Austin or San Antonio buy am not 100% on this. Also have in laws push Austin and my own family push Chicago's North Shore. I have gotten 3 calls from Austin to come and interview but nothing was possible to finish on the phone and all refused Skype interview. In CHicago I got one interview offer but I was not comfortable with flying and spending 400$ or more just to interview and most likely not get job offer. Just read somebody said their kid got job within 2 weeks. How? I have applied for over 100 jobs in past 3 weeks and nothing.

SO I know this was asked a lot but if anyone knows- how hard it is to get a job if you are grad with no exp, in the middle of changing careers. IT is dramatic change. HOw many months might take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
If you are getting interviews you should man up and come to town and schedule as many as you can in a 48 hour period. Even drop in a few places you'd like to work, call well ahead and get an appointment. I think you are asking a lot for some manager to set up his computer for a skype interview. You sound young and you likely don't have kids or a wife, go where the jobs are. Based on what you've posted I would assume you weren't serious and didn't really want the job if you wouldn't travel for the interview. If you get serious about moving somewhere I'd get a google voice number for that area, so all calls to you from employers would be local calls.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM

I am a woman and have a baby so cannot just get a plane and go. true i was not serious about job in illinois, i was actually suprised i got the chance since i am out of state. I heard few people got hired via skype but that might e exception, not the rule.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
What kind of job do you want? A degree in communication could mean many things. Advertising? PR? Journalism? Online media?

In Austin you might be competing with hundreds of recent UT grads. UT has a very large, nationally recognized school of communication. If you are getting interviews that is very positive. But I am not surprised no one will take you seriously with just a Skype interview. There are too many qualified local candidates.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medena19 View Post
I am a woman and have a baby so cannot just get a plane and go. true i was not serious about job in illinois, i was actually suprised i got the chance since i am out of state. I heard few people got hired via skype but that might e exception, not the rule.
Yes, it's possible to get hired with just a Skype interview. My guess is that it might be more common for tech jobs.

In regards to the amount of time it will take, that really could vary depending on the person. I only mean this in the most constructive way, but have you made sure that your resume and applications are absolutely perfect in grammar and spelling? I know we all tend to type very quickly on a forum like this one and mistakes are common, but you do have quite a few grammar mistakes in your writing. Honestly, we immediately eliminate anyone from our applicant pool who has a grammar mistake. I'm not saying that it's completely fair, but we have to narrow down the applicants somehow. As already mentioned, Austin is a very educated area and there are a lot of people around here that like to be the "grammar police".

I hate to bring up another reality check, but would you have daycare already lined up for your baby while you're working? Full time daycare for a baby can easily run about $1000 per month. We've paid about $1150 per month for each of our kids over the last few years. This is one of those areas where it can be very beneficial to be close to family members who have the time and are willing to provide daycare at no cost. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM

We have family members lined up for daycare and that is part of the reason to move but it all depends. I had resume polished with professional writer but I am not greatest writer myself.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yes, it's possible to get hired with just a Skype interview. My guess is that it might be more common for tech jobs.

In regards to the amount of time it will take, that really could vary depending on the person. I only mean this in the most constructive way, but have you made sure that your resume and applications are absolutely perfect in grammar and spelling? I know we all tend to type very quickly on a forum like this one and mistakes are common, but you do have quite a few grammar mistakes in your writing. Honestly, we immediately eliminate anyone from our applicant pool who has a grammar mistake. I'm not saying that it's completely fair, but we have to narrow down the applicants somehow. As already mentioned, Austin is a very educated area and there are a lot of people around here that like to be the "grammar police".
I agree, I noticed the same thing and we do the same thing.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I understand about constructive criticism, but how someone posts on a message board is not an indicator of his/her writing ability. Many people tend to post in a hasty, freeform style on a message board, chock full of grammatical errors, spelling errors, incorrect word usage, whatever. That's just to be expected. I work with a lot of Austin JD's who have poor grammar and spelling.

OP, it's hard to say how long it would take to find a job here or elsewhere. My personal opinion? First decide on where to live and THEN hit the market. I moved down here due to my husband and settled before I "hit the streets". When I say "decide on where to live" I mean for other reasons besides the economy. Do you want to live in a very large city or a medium sized city? What are your interests? Whose family -- yours or his -- will provide support with the baby if needed? so many factors. Maybe communications companies where you currently live have Austin (or other Texas) openings?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What kind of job do you want? A degree in communication could mean many things. Advertising? PR? Journalism? Online media?

In Austin you might be competing with hundreds of recent UT grads. UT has a very large, nationally recognized school of communication. If you are getting interviews that is very positive. But I am not surprised no one will take you seriously with just a Skype interview. There are too many qualified local candidates.
This is true.... Austin is saturated with new grads in most areas.

You might look into Houston or Dallas.... larger places with generally more opportunity and ability to get your foot in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin