Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times

Advertisements

It's pretty absurd to group the homeless services which creates a magnate for every homeless person in central Texas right in the heart of the entertainment district, mere blocks from the convention center and smack dab between it and many of the hotels our visitors stay in. This should not be the first impression visitors have of our fair city. It inhibits development in a very important area of Austin, is unsightly, unkempt, unsanitary, and makes people feel unsafe.

The choice to put the homeless services in the middle of the entertainment district ranks up with allowing the state to turn a large swath of the CBD into the most lifeless of lifeless office parks as far as urban crimes perpetrated on Austin. Perhaps we should move the homeless services to between the Capitol and UT Campus...at least then there'd be some street life there.

Downtown property owners discuss moving homeless social services | kvue.com Austin

Last edited by Komeht; 09-11-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The homeless services were in that area for a long time. But, for goodness sakes, lets move the homeless shelters further from the homeless and try to hide the homeless from visitors .

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The homeless services were in that area for a long time. But, for goodness sakes, lets move the homeless shelters further from the homeless and try to hide the homeless from visitors .
A mistake made once does need not be perpetuated. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting Austin's best face forward when it comes to attracting visitors who fill our bars, restaurants, hotels, cafes and buy stuff from our retail shops so that we might get to enjoy all that the rest of the year.

There is surely a better place for this than where they are now.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I've had to deal with aggressive homeless people lots of times downtown, and now that my company is relocating to sixth street, it promises to be even worse. That being said, the shelter isn't going to be removed anytime soon. New York City, in all its splendor, has people sprawled on the streets, picking through trash, sleeping across rows of seats on the subways. That's just how it is. Classes and people mix. There's no artificial bubble where only certain types of people are allowed, especially not in a public downtown area.

Also, where do you propose the shelter be moved? East Austin? Yeah, let's start a war there, given that the city has used the East side as a base for its "undesirable" things (ie public housing, waste plants, etc.)

Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Also, where do you propose the shelter be moved? East Austin? Yeah, let's start a war there, given that the city has used the East side as a base for its "undesirable" things (ie public housing, waste plants, etc.)
I've already proposed moving it to the glorified office park the state created north of downtown. But if the state can't see the wisdom in this, then there are plenty of wastelands around Austin that are better suited host such transient populations. Perhaps Highland Mall - last time I check a bomb could go off there and other than waking a few strippers from an ambien endured haze at Sugars no one would take notice.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I did find it telling that the complaint was not that the homeless should be actually helped to become not homeless, which I could get behind, but that they should be hidden away so that people will not be offended by having to acknowledge their existence.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Moving the services doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it someone else's problem. So the businesses around 6th Street don't want them there. Do they really think the businesses in East Austin, North Austin, or any of the other locations want them there? What makes your business more important than someone else's?

Furthermore, the homeless population is going to stay where the largest concentration of people is, which is downtown. That is where they get most of their money, so that is where they are going to stay. What motivation would a homeless person have for being somewhere else?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I did find it telling that the complaint was not that the homeless should be actually helped to become not homeless, which I could get behind, but that they should be hidden away so that people will not be offended by having to acknowledge their existence.
Who said anything about not helping them. I didn't say get rid of the services, I said move them out of the CBD.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Austin already has its best face forward, that's why downtown is booming so much. The homeless services were there long before the current boom or the boom of the 1990s. Austin is nationally known for being innovative in helping the homeless. Perhaps, more people should inquire as to breadth of services many of these wonderful non-profits provide to people in need. All Austinities should be proud of how our long-standing "green council" city leadership and City of Austin staff has helped to develop downtown in the crown jewel and envy of mid-sized cities nationwide!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Moving the services doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it someone else's problem. So the businesses around 6th Street don't want them there. Do they really think the businesses in East Austin, North Austin, or any of the other locations want them there? What makes your business more important than someone else's?

Furthermore, the homeless population is going to stay where the largest concentration of people is, which is downtown. That is where they get most of their money, so that is where they are going to stay. What motivation would a homeless person have for being somewhere else?
What makes the CBD more valuable than wastelands located elsewhere? The market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin