U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
 
768 posts, read 1,072,815 times
Reputation: 1112

Advertisements

I have recently found out that the apartment towers in Austin have to set aside a certain number of rooms for low income individuals. I'm a UT student who qualifies for it and there are a ton of options west campus for it but I don't like the area and would rather live in a more professional environment. Are there are high rises in downtown athat qualify for the program.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 25,252,596 times
Reputation: 10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I have recently found out that the apartment towers in Austin have to set aside a certain number of rooms for low income individuals. I'm a UT student who qualifies for it and there are a ton of options west campus for it but I don't like the area and would rather live in a more professional environment. Are there are high rises in downtown athat qualify for the program.
Well, yes, but honestly, you are not the intended beneficiary of the program. They're primarily designed for people who are permanently low income, such as people with disabilities or who are retired. And there is far more demand than there is supply in low-income housing, so there tend to be waiting lists for such housing.

If you are genuinely qualified for such housing, and not just temporarily "student poor," then contact contact the social services agency you work with for information on how to apply.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,980,138 times
Reputation: 2546
What makes it "smart housing"?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 1,222,172 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What makes it "smart housing"?
City of Austin - AHFC Developer Assistance

There is a ton of it in West Campus, and lots more under construction, but also quite a bit all around Austin.

@ op, I would look in South Austin. There are a few there too, and it is kinda a bit more professional than West Campus in the "The San Diego Zoo is more professional than West Campus" kinda way. I don't know about around the Triangle. Riverside and in East Austin have some though. East Central Austin has become a hotbed of young creative professionals of the past few years.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 09-16-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
8,654 posts, read 17,305,046 times
Reputation: 4698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What makes it "smart housing"?
Promotes economic diversity in downtown. For Austin, pricing musicians and artists out of downtown and other areas is the primary thing they want to avoid I think. But many other cities do it as well, to try to keep the vibrance that made those areas desirable in the first place.

And as for the OP, if they are a student supported by their parents, I believe the parents income will be counted and may disqualify them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 1,222,172 times
Reputation: 488
SMART is different. It is based on what you make, but in West Campus it is different in that parents can contribute up to 30% of it. It has minimums and maximums. So like you will fit into an range and they will offer you affordable housing based on that range you fit into.

You need to make like £25-30k to rent a $600 place or like $40-45k to rent like $900. You need to make above those amounts, not below. Some of it can come from parent, and some from financial aid (I don't know how much, and it is after tuition is deducted) but you also need to be working and making most of it yourself.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
 
768 posts, read 1,072,815 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
SMART is different. It is based on what you make, but in West Campus it is different in that parents can contribute up to 30% of it. It has minimums and maximums. So like you will fit into an range and they will offer you affordable housing based on that range you fit into.

You need to make like £25-30k to rent a $600 place or like $40-45k to rent like $900. You need to make above those amounts, not below. Some of it can come from parent, and some from financial aid (I don't know how much, and it is after tuition is deducted) but you also need to be working and making most of it yourself.
Ouch those are really stringent requirements, especially for a student. I get around 15k in fin aid/scholarships, my tuition is already covered under my dads veteran benefits, and my parents pay nothing for my education (cause they can't) so I suppose I'm going to have to try and make 10k I suppose. I mean my current lease is not up until next August, but considering the competitiveness for housing, I want to sign my next lease by December.

Another interesting point is that the austin city council is voting on a new affordable housing initiative in a week which could make things a little easier for students. An interesting article on the subject (last paragraph): A Tale of Two Neighborhoods | The Daily Texan

sidenote: to whoever left me the reputation, you have no idea who I am or what kind of situation I'm in so butt off

Last edited by philopower; 09-16-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 1,222,172 times
Reputation: 488
I don't know exactly what the requirements are. Defiantly go and talk to UT and find out what they are. I know they have their own they have worked with the city to get. Remember @ UT many of the schools/degree plans they prefer you to not be working. If you can make $10-15k on your own (retail, waiting tables) then with your pops GI Bill/College Fund you should be fine to get SMART and hopefully finish with significantly less student debt than normal.

Also if you do it with with a spouse or roommate you can combine your incomes I think? Y'all will both need to be working, but I'm pretty sure you can combine roommate incomes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
 
768 posts, read 1,072,815 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't know exactly what the requirements are. Defiantly go and talk to UT and find out what they are. I know they have their own they have worked with the city to get. Remember @ UT many of the schools/degree plans they prefer you to not be working. If you can make $10-15k on your own (retail, waiting tables) then with your pops GI Bill/College Fund you should be fine to get SMART and hopefully finish with significantly less student debt than normal.

Also if you do it with with a spouse or roommate you can combine your incomes I think? Y'all will both need to be working, but I'm pretty sure you can combine roommate incomes.
Wow! Thanks for the helpful info. I will definitely look into it! And I will also look into south Austin but I definitely want to focus downtown, it'd be nice to live at the W for 600 a month hahahaha, a student can dream. I'll probably end up at 21 Rio or the block though! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
 
1 posts, read 10,209 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Wow! Thanks for the helpful info. I will definitely look into it! And I will also look into south Austin but I definitely want to focus downtown, it'd be nice to live at the W for 600 a month hahahaha, a student can dream. I'll probably end up at 21 Rio or the block though! Thanks for the advice everyone!
How does one get started in applying for smart housing?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top