Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM

181 posts, read 429,324 times

Advertisements

Austin drivers are inconsistent in their driving habits. Makes it hard to predict what other drivers are going to do. It is also hard to see around many of the other vehicles on the road because of all the largest pickups and suv's money can buy. But my biggest problen is that the left lane is used not for passing but for going 5 miles under the speed limit and they will not move over no matter how many cars pass them on the right.
Been here two years now and love Austin, but using my horn more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
I agree with this!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
Austin drivers are inconsistent in their driving habits. Makes it hard to predict what other drivers are going to do. It is also hard to see around many of the other vehicles on the road because of all the largest pickups and suv's money can buy. But my biggest problen is that the left lane is used not for passing but for going 5 miles under the speed limit and they will not move over no matter how many cars pass them on the right.
-They annoy you, they are unfair and rude, OK, but they will not put you in danger nor try kill you on purpose like the ones I mentioned. So it is not as bad, they are not dangerous. If I want to go slow then I go in the slow lane. The punishent for a small mistake is not death, and you are not judge+jury+prosecutor. And if someone is doing this (slow in the fast lane) or anything else annoying (like stopping at the red light), the answer is not to murder them with cold blood like some people would/try to do. If they are acting aginst the law, then wait (give them a chance to correct it) then honk the horn (if they dont), but if they are following the law (like stopping at red) then shut up and obey the same law too. Not everyone wants to drive like in an action movie.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM

249 posts, read 492,010 times
Austin drivers are pretty poor compared to, say, NYC drivers. But they're not nearly as bad as Massachusetts or Virginia drivers.

My biggest complaints: getting boxed in by pickup trucks going 54mph, people not using turn signals, left lane bandits. When I was driving the FDR Drive back in NYC in the mornings, it was bumper-to-bumper at about 50mph, and it worked. Folks here could definitely not handle that, they're not paying nearly enough attention.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
I can agree, most accidents here are caused by texting while driving, putting on make up, or simply on there cell phones and not paying attention to what their doing. I've been hit several times, one was my fault due to another driver that was in my blind spot.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
While I think that Texas drivers are a little more laid back than Cali drivers, you will find terrible drivers everywhere.
As for driving comfort and safety and stress, I would pick Austin as one of the WORST places in Texas I have ever lived.
In fact, my last year living there, I finally gave up on trying to drive my car and got a motorcycle...a dubious decision, as even more people seemed to want to try to kill me. But at least I could park somewhere.
I credit 5 years of living in Austin for making me the insanely defensive driver that I am today.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
driving standards in Texas comparing to CA and other places

In the U.S., our driving practices are like our politics...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Or in the current political climate - ignore, denigrate and deny.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
The amber alert sign on I35 had the following on it this morning "2056 deaths on Texas roads this year". It went on to say, don't text, etc. I don't know how that number compares to CA.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM

319 posts, read 346,027 times
I've been here a year, and I don't think I've heard a horn yet.

I also find drivers here are very observant of speed limits. Most of my experience at higher speeds has been on Mopac and 290 at non-rush hours. My only problem with Austin driving is so many streets have narrow lanes. Like S 1st and SoCo and Mopac, for example. But I understand there is no practical remedy. It just makes it nervous driving.

Someday, I guess, I will experience all the bad driving people write about here. Not that I look forward to that.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
You can't really stereotype Austin drivers because they come from almost everywhere!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin