Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,100,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstayusvi View Post

Woodinvilleguy- why do you say no family atmosphere with Nitro? Are parents discouraged from doing things with the team? Is there a parent group that volunteers at meets or runs a concession stand?
We had two swimmers, one in Silver and one in Bronze. The only involvement we were able to do was to time at meets. During practice days, everyone just sits on the bleachers and were pretty unfriendly in my experience. Maybe it was just my experience. Mike (the owner of Nitro) is a real nice guy but IMHO, is too focused on the elite swimmers of each group.

I know that both of my daughters were in tears after many practices and lost all desire to swim. This summer we tried the Cedar Park Typhoons team and they really enjoyed it and made friends. Now one of my daughters is swimming on the Twin Creeks team and she really enjoys it and likes the fact that it is a small team. The coach really focuses on her form and has even helped in the water for them. They are smaller but for us, that is what she needs. She doesn't need coaches yelling at them and only paying attention to the few top swimmers of the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM

69 posts, read 159,581 times
Thanks for the info. My dd can be pretty sensitive so I don't want to see her crying after swim practice as she loves it so much.

Where can I find info on Twin Creek? I tried googling but can't find a website, are they part of Twin Creek Country Club?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,100,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstayusvi View Post
Thanks for the info. My dd can be pretty sensitive so I don't want to see her crying after swim practice as she loves it so much.

Where can I find info on Twin Creek? I tried googling but can't find a website, are they part of Twin Creek Country Club?
It was just our experience so it is worth while to watch a practice to see what you think, I feel like I unloaded on Nitro. I didn't mean to as they are a good program, I just wanted to relay our personal experience.

The toros info is at: Twin Creeks Country Club :: Swim Team

Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
TXLA = Longhorn Aquatics.

Most serious year round programs do not want parents participating in practice. The reality is parents often interfere and distract the kids. Parents are of course present at practice because many parents have no choice but to stay and watch instead of just dropping their child off. Serious does not necessarily mean hyper competitive. It just means the coaches are there to develop your child's swimming skill and have the skills to do so.

Nitro is a "big" team - lots of different groups and a fair number of kids in each. TXLA is also a big team. But Nitro has many more coaches and they are almost all good.

But some kids just won't be a good fit I suppose. I don't know why Woodinvilleguy's daughters didn't have a positive experience at Nitro. I know many families who are very happy with Nitro.

I agree with the recommendation to visit a few teams and watch a practice of the group your children are most likely to be in. Watch the interaction between kids and coach. See if the environment will work for you.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM

481 posts, read 2,409,675 times
With Nitro, I've never seen my daughters coaches yell - in a negative way - at a them. They yell so they can be heard when they are swimming.

Everyone's experience is different and coaches are different. I would visit each team and watch the team you would be training with to get an idea of the coaches and atmosphere.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM

69 posts, read 159,581 times
Thanks All,
I will visit each team and see if she can swim with them for a week before deciding.

Our old coaches yelled but usually only to be heard - although some of the kids REALLY needed to be yelled at.

Usually when we helped at practice it was to corral kids who's attention span was lacking or to help the coaches in dryland - not so much in water practice.

We will be up there in November, so we will see how it goes

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Might find this link useful:

www.stswim.org

Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,960 times
Default Competitive Age Group swim teams in Austin

I realize this is an older thread but we are looking for a competitive swim team in the area as well. 10 year old who has been swimming in CO for 4 years and would have mostly TAGS SCY times. Currently considering Nitro and TXLA. Does anyone have experience with either and/or suggestions? Many thanks.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 PM

112 posts, read 324,311 times
Bumping.
My daughter has been on summer swim league for the last 2 years and is asking to swim more. She's 6 so I'm figuring maybe 2 day a week practices (it would be hard for hubby and I to commit to more than that logistically). Would like her to do meets periodically. I'm looking for a team with good coaches, a family feel (e.g., social events periodically and/or kids get to know each other-> basically like a summer league team). Basically I want her to work hard, but for her to have fun during her training. It's important that the coach focus on stroke technique (as well as speed and endurance). Ok,ok. I know all coaches probably do that, but I figure I should state it just in case. Also want a competitive team (coach that pushes kids to do their best and work hard in a nurturing way).

I live northwest Austin so a club close by to home is desired. Was thinking of Twin Creeks (good USA team rating and review here from previous posters), waterloo, nitro or capitol of Texas aquatics. Any feedback on these teams. Nitro I think is the furthest from my house and capitol of Texas is the closest. There's also Great hills aquatics rush (which is the absolute closet) and I'm not sure if Balcones woods have a club, but I haven't heard anyone recommend those.

Last edited by sweetrai; 06-24-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrai View Post
Bumping.
My daughter has been on summer swim league for the last 2 years and is asking to swim more. She's 6 so I'm figuring maybe 2 day a week practices (it would be hard for hubby and I to commit to more than that logistically). Would like her to do meets periodically. I'm looking for a team with good coaches, a family feel (e.g., social events periodically and/or kids get to know each other-> basically like a summer league team). Basically I want her to work hard, but for her to have fun during her training. It's important that the coach focus on stroke technique (as well as speed and endurance). Ok,ok. I know all coaches probably do that, but I figure I should state it just in case. Also want a competitive team (coach that pushes kids to do their best and work hard in a nurturing way).

I live northwest Austin so a club close by to home is desired. Was thinking of Twin Creeks (good USA team rating and review here from previous posters), waterloo, nitro or capitol of Texas aquatics. Any feedback on these teams. Nitro I think is the furthest from my house and capitol of Texas is the closest. There's also Great hills aquatics rush (which is the absolute closet) and I'm not sure if Balcones woods have a club, but I haven't heard anyone recommend those.
Everyone loves westover in northwest hills around here. Membership is a one time of about 5000-6000 (you have to buy from an exsting member as the list is closed) then a monthly fee. You will be able to sell your membership in the future for more, so it isnt like you are losing money on the fee.

JCC also has a swim team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin