Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM

69 posts, read 160,431 times

Advertisements

My DD has been competitively swimming for 3 years now. She wants to join a team in Austin when we move up there in November. Her former coach suggested UT, I have heard about Nitro swimming. I want a USA Swimming team for her that is competitive, does LC and SC, has a great family type atmosphere, has older kids that take an interest in the younger team members, offers learn to swim classes to kids(especially her younger brother), and is fun. The team needs to be about competing but also about fun, no draconian measures here in coaching either.

Who is your favorite team to swim with or be a part of and why?

I realize there are a lot of teams out there, right now where we live hasn't been decided. Driving isn't an issue, we work from home, so it's no big deal where we live as long as we are not HOURS away from a team.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,288 times
I can comment on three teams.

1) Nitro: They are expensive, very competitive, no family atmosphere
2) Twin Creek Toros: Small team, very good coach, good family atmosphere, cheapest
3) Cedar Park Swimming: Somewhere in between, competive, decent family atmosphere

4) Lone Star Aquatics: I don't have much info on this one. Swims out of the Round Rock YMCA

There are much smaller teams for LC year round swimming. During the summer league season May-July there are a ton of teams. I'd visit each team and see which you like. I believe USAA allows for a trial period without joining for a short time (2 weeks)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
TXLA (Longhorn Aquatics) - has been in decline for at least five years, new coach after last one was fired. It's national reputation is due to about a dozen swimmers, all post-grad, that swim for Eddie Reese. He does not coach age groupers. Almost all of the famous TXLA swimmers (Peirsol, Crocker, etc.) were not developed in Austin. They came to UT to swim for Eddie Reese. Hassle factor very high unless you live or work downtown. Parking alone is a major hassle and potential expense. Trains in world class pool. Zero family atmosphere.

Nitro - two locations, both with indoor 50M pools. Excellent coach to swimmer ratio. Many of the city's best swimmers have left their previous teams, especially TXLA, for Nitro. Can't speak to a family feel, but I'm not sure what that is.

Lost Creek - outdoor 25M pool. Good coaching, smaller team feel. New satellite team at Lakeway coached by the former West Austin coach.

Lone Star - lost some coaching a few years ago. Not sure how they are doing now. Had some really good swimmers (the Hill brothers) a few years ago. Not sure why they moved from their old pool off 620.

Everyone else is a tier 3 team.

If it were my children, I would start with Nitro, primarily because of the deep coaching staff and excellent facilities. I wouldn't try TXLA until I hear the new coach is turning things around.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
Nitro does have learn to swim classes though..

Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,514 times
We are with Nitro and love it - my girls are on a team and my son takes lessons.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks All.

The reviews and insights are very helpful. We come a team of about 100 swimmers and have a great family atmosphere where many parents pitch in to help out - even during practice! We had a great coach but lost him due to budgetary reasons, so finding a team with solid coaching is top priority. We do mainly LC as our pool is a 50m, so I am not sure how DD is going to take to SC, BUT c'est la vie.

Will have to check into the trial period with USA swimming - didn't know about that. We come from a FINA team so I think there will be some adjustments going on with that alone.

Woodinvilleguy- why do you say no family atmosphere with Nitro? Are parents discouraged from doing things with the team? Is there a parent group that volunteers at meets or runs a concession stand?

Motherofthree- do you find there is family involvement with Nitro? What ages are your girls and what are their practices like? How old is your son and are the lessons at the same times as either of the girls' practices?

hoffdano- Is TXLA the same as UT?

Again, THANKS!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Nitro - Families help out at swim meets but the coaches ask us to just be observers at practice so the kids can focus on the coaches and their directions and they have great coaches.

My 10 yr old is on the silver team (MWFS - 60 min) and my 9 year old is on the bronze team (MWF- 45 min). My 7 yr old son takes lessons in the small pool right next to the large pool and his lesson is 30 min at the same time as the girls teams. The swim lesson ratio is really nice. Usually 3 to 1. I don't think it's been more than 4 to 1.

I suggest visiting each facility and watching practice/lessons so you can get an idea of which one you would like best. We started at Nitro back when it opened for lessons because it was close to our house. Now, after Nitro sending 10 swimmers to Olympic Trials last June, teams have filled up fast.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you. Just telling my daughter about your practice schedule for your 10 year old got her excited! LOL. Kids....smh We will make it a point to go by an observe when we get there. Do either of yours do dryland in the practice?

Our team sends one swimmer every time to the Olympics, so DD has Olympic fever pretty badly right now.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 AM

No dryland practice for those teams. I think that starts at gold level.

I forgot to mention - LC is over the summer and SC is during the school year. You can view Nitro swim team schedule at
USA Swim Team in Austin, TX Area | Nitro Swimming Austin, TX
They have a cedar park schedule and a bee caves schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin