Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 AM

15 posts, read 130,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Dunkin' Donuts? I mean it's OK but you mean to say you can't find a better cup of coffee in Austin than that??????????? I beg to differ
Like others have said above, it's not about the best cup of coffee persay, it's just a thing getting your dunkin donuts every morning, can't explain it- Kind of like people who have never had NY pizza have no clue what we are talking about when we rave about it and you can't get anything close to it anywhere but NY. It's not good or bad, it's just a regional thing we appreciate and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
I don't know if this helps the East Coasters or those from Chicago but Manga makes a killer deep dish pizza.

The other thing to consider is that FiestaMart has a broad and wide variety of foods. FiestaMart is a cool place to shop just because it reflects the diversity of Austin. It is packed on the weekend and its fun to listen to all the folks speaking different languages and dialects. We have two: 32nd Street/I-35 and a new store at Stassney/I-35.

Donuts? Mrs. Johnston on 51st Avenue / Airport Blvd. Some like Round Rock donuts but I think they are over-rated.

If you like key lime pie, I live for Blue Bell Key Lime pie. I don't care how much fat it has - it is sooooo good.

I have no experience with Coffee. Ask me about iced tea since I drink at least 4 quarts/day (decaffinated).

And since you've relocated let me remind you we have some really good local foods and cuisine.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM

99 posts, read 421,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
Man, do I miss NY pizza. Yeah, I've tried Homeslice, they do try here in Austin, but of course it ain't the same! I eat pizza everyday when I'm back visiting. I also miss getting Dunkin Donuts french vanilla coffee every morning!
Granted there isn't one on every corner like in New England, but there's a few around here. One is on Research Blvd / 183 access road up near the catfish parlor. Citysearch also shows one on William Canon dr. in south Austin.

As for pizza we found a place in east RR that had decent NY style. Haven't eaten there in a while since we moved. I'll see if I can find the name.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,619 times
Are you guys trying to tell me there's no good food besides Mexican & BBQ in Austin? I'm from NJ and planning a move to the Austin area after we sell the house. I looked online and found sushi places and what not. I know there will not be any Italian places as good as what I"m used to but hey, there has to be one at least that comes close. And if Austin doesn't have the food that all you East Coast runners are longing for how come you don't open your own place out there? I'm sure you'll make a killing if the pickings are slim.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Of course there's not East coast food like you find on the East coast. This is the south, we have southern and Mexican food. If I lived on the East Coast, or Midwest, I'm sure I'd have a heck of a time finding this style of food there But I have often wondered why people always ask that question, but never does a place get opened that serves authentic NY style pizza, Chicago hotdogs, etc...

Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Of course there's not East coast food like you find on the East coast. This is the south, we have southern and Mexican food. If I lived on the East Coast, or Midwest, I'm sure I'd have a heck of a time finding this style of food there But I have often wondered why people always ask that question, but never does a place get opened that serves authentic NY style pizza, Chicago hotdogs, etc...
This is very true...you cannot find excellent BBQ and tex-mex style of food here on the East coast. You make a trade off when you move somewhere. Will I miss the food here in Pittsburgh? You betcha, but that's the trade off I will gladly make to live in a warmer climate, a more laid back lifestyle and great music at my beck and call. I miss the food from Texas right now...wishing for some great BBQ today!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:12 AM

77 posts, read 382,582 times
Alright, I give up. What makes a bagel an East Coast bagel?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romesq View Post
Alright, I give up. What makes a bagel an East Coast bagel?
The fact that it's made on the East Coast And when you eat it, you're there...

Just being a smart*ss....sort of...

Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 PM

99 posts, read 421,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclAustin View Post
Granted there isn't one on every corner like in New England, but there's a few around here. One is on Research Blvd / 183 access road up near the catfish parlor. Citysearch also shows one on William Canon dr. in south Austin.

As for pizza we found a place in east RR that had decent NY style. Haven't eaten there in a while since we moved. I'll see if I can find the name.
Gino's is the place in RR. I won't call it NY pizza, but I'd say it's as close as we've found.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
There's also Brooklyn Pie Co. in RR which claims "authentic" NY style pizza - and they also do sell by the slice. It's pretty good pizza - but, hey we also like Austin's Pizza just fine so that's what we order most times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin