Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I actually heard this from a salesman at a clothing store I went to last year, that before he got that job he'd been panhandling at various S. Austin intersections and would clear like $400-500/week tax free cash. Granted, I do see a number of mentally-ill (stinkers, mumblers, yellers) or drunks/junkies, but I would bet a goodly # are folks that could get a 'square' job in retail or food service if the police cracked down on vagrancy and panhandling.
I'm going to have to call BS on this.

The ones I've known who stood at intersections with signs (called "flying" in homeless lingo) were not grossing anywhere near $400-$500/week. Break it down. That would be a dollar every 4.5 minutes, 8 hours a day on a 5 day week. Some stand for hours for a few dollars. Or 10 turns of a traffic light with not "licks", as they call it. Sometimes they hit a "jackpot" and get a $5 or $20 donation, but mostly it's $1 or some spare change or some food that they can't eat unless it's really soft, because many have severe dental issues.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Many, but not all of the people on street corners are panhandlers. I hired a man off of a street corner because he was holding a sign "need work, laid off". He was sincere in wanting to work so I had him trim a bunch of bushes in my yard. In talking to him I learned he was an experienced carpenter, so I paid him to build a covered patio for me on the back of my house. He did a great job.

If someone wants work, I'm inclined to try and help them out if I can, but I rarely give any money to panhandlers unless they have an obvious disability.
I have, more then once, hired people who had "will work for food" or similar signs.
In ALL cases, they turned out to be drinking (something I was not aware of when I offered them the work).
But in one case, the guy still did a pretty good job, although I admit being a bit nervous once I discovered he was drinking. But most of what I had him do was just clean up, and did not involve sharp or power tools. Having someone intoxicated working in my yard, using a lawnmower or cutting instruments, does make me nervous.
My neighbors (in Corvallis Oregon) once talked to me, telling me they were concerned about the people I had been bringing home to do yard work for me, and that I was putting myself at risk.

I did recently talk to a homeless person, in Austin, who was not intoxicated, and looking for work. So I do realize that not 100% of those holding up "need work" type signs, are actually intoxicated.
But the majority are.

There is likely no circumstance or characteristic, that fits 100% of the homeless, except for their being homeless (and then those characteristics that fit all humans).
But there are characteristics that fit a majority of those I have encountered, and I believe also fit a majority of those I have not encountered.

The skilled person you encountered, is the very sort of person who should benefit from the type of safety net programs I have in mind.
Basically he would be given work, in return for having his needs met.
I am completely in favor of a safety net that would provide those who show up and ask (100% of them) a clean safe place to sleep, sanitary facilities, clean clothing, and food in return for work.

Spokane, Washington has a program, though the Salvation Army, where people can hire people for a day of labor, and the Salvation Army has already screened them on some level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin