Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,877 times

Advertisements

22M, have a bachelor's in psych and limited work experience, mostly 4 summers of working at the Hilton Hotel. I have 12,000 saved up and need to get out of my parent's house and out of Ft. Walton Beach, FL because I feel my current environment is toxic for me and I'm stagnating here. I've looked up Austin quite a bit and am quite convinced it would be a fantastic fit for me. I love music, film, weird, entrepreneurship, I have aspirations to start my own business... I also want to live around more like-minded people so I don't have to drive 20 min - an hr to see quality friends. I'm looking to find a temporary living situation for cheap, hopefully around 400 a month, just until I get into the city and am able to find something more fitting if my living situation doesn't work out.

How does my plan sound? Would making the move with my budget and limited skill set be a big mistake? I'm afraid finding a job (I'm not picky) won't be a breeze and I might end up blowing all my savings only to have to move back in with the parents. :/ Any suggestions, encouragement, warnings, etc. from Austinites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 PM

15,265 posts, read 35,607,905 times
Quote:
400 a month
Highly likely you will have to split rent with a roommate, you just aren't going to get anywhere even halfway decent for $400/month. That said, I suspect you can find a place to split one or two other ways for that money, just be aware that roommates can be 'toxic' too .

As for jobs - if you aren't picky and don't mind doing the waiter or hotel job for a while, then it shouldn't be THAT difficult to start getting some cash flowing, even if it isn't a professional career track type job.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Highly likely you will have to split rent with a roommate, you just aren't going to get anywhere even halfway decent for $400/month. That said, I suspect you can find a place to split one or two other ways for that money, just be aware that roommates can be 'toxic' too .

As for jobs - if you aren't picky and don't mind doing the waiter or hotel job for a while, then it shouldn't be THAT difficult to start getting some cash flowing, even if it isn't a professional career track type job.
Yeah whoops forgot to include I plan to room with 1 or more people. I know I definitely can't afford to live by myself. And yeah, as long as I can find a job to get the cash coming in to be able to sustain myself while I figure out how to be self-employed or until I just find a better job then I am fine.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,396,652 times
+1 to Trainwreck. Finding a decent-paying service/hospitality industry job won't be too difficult. Find a $400/mo place to live might be a stretch!

Apart from maybe needing to go to $550/mo, you'll be fine.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 AM

78 posts, read 123,342 times
Longhorn Landing is catered towards students but anyone can live there. It's on East Riverside (what Austin calls "ghetto"....uh, it kinda is though). It's $300 a month but you live with 3 random people. 4/4 though

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2046 View Post
Yeah whoops forgot to include I plan to room with 1 or more people. I know I definitely can't afford to live by myself. And yeah, as long as I can find a job to get the cash coming in to be able to sustain myself while I figure out how to be self-employed or until I just find a better job then I am fine.
check craigslist for people looking for roommates. Live close to downtown, interview the roommates to make sure they know austin and seem like the type to be outgoing and find new friends.

we have a hilton here so maybe getting a job wont be too hard.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxas View Post
Longhorn Landing is catered towards students but anyone can live there. It's on East Riverside (what Austin calls "ghetto"....uh, it kinda is though). It's $300 a month but you live with 3 random people. 4/4 though
Looked into Longhorn and it sounds badddd :/ I think i'll pass lol. I can afford to pay 400/mo.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM

74 posts, read 122,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2046 View Post
22M, have a bachelor's in psych and limited work experience, mostly 4 summers of working at the Hilton Hotel. I have 12,000 saved up and need to get out of my parent's house and out of Ft. Walton Beach, FL because I feel my current environment is toxic for me and I'm stagnating here. I've looked up Austin quite a bit and am quite convinced it would be a fantastic fit for me. I love music, film, weird, entrepreneurship, I have aspirations to start my own business... I also want to live around more like-minded people so I don't have to drive 20 min - an hr to see quality friends. I'm looking to find a temporary living situation for cheap, hopefully around 400 a month, just until I get into the city and am able to find something more fitting if my living situation doesn't work out.

How does my plan sound? Would making the move with my budget and limited skill set be a big mistake? I'm afraid finding a job (I'm not picky) won't be a breeze and I might end up blowing all my savings only to have to move back in with the parents. :/ Any suggestions, encouragement, warnings, etc. from Austinites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I lived in Austin for two years at 23. Remember people generally will discourage anything in life you want to do. Never forget that.

Now after living in Austin, you'll learn two things it's small regardless of what people say. It's not really that asthetically pleasing really it's not that beautiful at all. People love Austin because it's great for Texas, but for the US it is indeed only ok. Also anywhere you go you can be happy. And finding an affordable place is most times a matter of luck you can move any where and find a hidden gem. Summers are HOT. People are transient meaning a lot of people are impermanent. You will love the winters and the constant sun, it just isn't the opportune haven people paint it as, but then again not many places are. All in all it's ok, night life is only ok. people are only kind of interesting and it feels small. I've lived in Chicago, Seattle, Phoenix and Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin