Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,066 times

Advertisements

I just looked up the official polling location for my precinct.

To get there, it takes 2 buses, and over an hour.

There are other polling places I am allowed to go to, but I can not find a map that shows them.
So basically I would have to put each one into google maps, to determine if there is a polling place easier to get to.

Does anyone know where I can find something that shows all of the polling locations plotted on a map?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
A map would be a good idea but I don't see one. EDIT: here is a Travis County precinct map. http://www.traviscountytax.org/gis/index.htm Although it is not a very good one.

Vote early, the lines will be shorter and there are lots of grocery stores and other places that will have early voting including some "mobile" voting locations. You can go to any of those locations for early voting. Travis County - Polling Locations

Ohh, I just noticed the list of official polling places for election day says " VOTE CENTERS FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2012 ONLY: You May Vote at Your Home Precinct or ANY Travis County Precinct Polling Place Listed Below"

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-27-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,029 times
Oh cool, I didn't know you could vote at any location this year!

Here's a map of all polling places from last year (double check just in case a location has moved for this year)

Clean_Travis_Polling_Locations.csv - Google Fusion Tables

Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
A map would be a good idea but I don't see one.

Vote early, the lines will be shorter and there are lots of grocery stores and other places that will have early voting including some "mobile" voting locations. You can go to any of those locations for early voting. Travis County - Polling Locations

Ohh, I just noticed the list of official polling places for election day says " VOTE CENTERS FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2012 ONLY: You May Vote at Your Home Precinct or ANY Travis County Precinct Polling Place Listed Below"
Thank you,

I was actually on that site, and found 2 places that are much easier for me to get to, after I posted the message.
Strange that I am not in either of the two precincts that those polling places belong to, and instead one that is much further away.

As for early voting, that is a good idea. I have to go a bit further, but at least I am not limited to a single day.

Do they send out voter pamphlets here.
Where I lived before, I got both a voter pamphlet and a ballot in the mail. They made it so very easy.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Oh cool, I didn't know you could vote at any location this year!

Here's a map of all polling places from last year (double check just in case a location has moved for this year)

Clean_Travis_Polling_Locations.csv - Google Fusion Tables
Thank you,
I now see 3 places that are a reasonable walk from my house.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I have not seen a voter pamphlet and ballot in the mail normally. But some people are allowed to vote by mail. Travis County - Ballot by Mail but you have to apply for it.

The newspaper usually publishes the items that will be on the ballot so you can preview it there. That Travis County site may also post it online, I'm not sure.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM

Now I am noticing an expiration date, on my voter registration card, that has passed?

So voter registration expires here?

Do I have to re-register each year?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Now I am noticing an expiration date, on my voter registration card, that has passed?

The card expires but the registration doesn't.

If you are in Travis county you can check your registration here:
Travis County Tax Office - Collecting property taxes, registering voters and motor vehicles.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post

You should have gotten a new card in the mail. Mine expired this year and I was sent a new one just before the old one expired.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,029 times
The last time I moved and re-registered, they sent me a card on 12/15 that expired on 12/31. Real useful for all those Christmas elections we have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: