Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
I agree with the others. In the downtown or hipster areas you won't have a problem. The farther you get from the core of the city the more likely you'll encounter issues.
100% disagree. I am 1/2 of an IR couple, and can think of 4 on my block alone - well outside of your predefined area. Never once had an issue.

Liberal/Conservative and Racist/Bigoted are two wholly different concepts. I know plenty of my neighbors that are very conservative, and entirely not racist. Lumping the two together is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
I agree with the others. In the downtown or hipster areas you won't have a problem. The farther you get from the core of the city the more likely you'll encounter issues. I like to tell people downtown Austin is liberal the rest of the city is still Texas. But honestly I don't think it'll be any worse than any other place in the country.
This kind of thing is usually said by people who are talking about areas that they don't have a clue about (which is to say, "the rest of Austin" and, for that matter, Texas).

Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
I am Black and my girlfriend is Spaniard/Mexican. We haven't had any problems whatsoever in Austin/RR and we love it to bits. The Dallas/Fort Worth area, however... not so much.
Im half an IR couple and have been in DFW for 4 years now. Never once have we even had a stare.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 27,213 times
hi,

every now and then i see these few racist people who wants to just trouble you for small things.. but you can't do anything about the retarded mentality. for every racist in austin there are 100 nice people here. I have seen the nicest of people in austin and yet there are these few who ruin the fun on living in this beautiful city. you don't know if you should be upset about thr behavior or have pity on them for being such a small being. I am not black, I am asian, but every now and then i do see instances of discrimination that makes me so mad.

bottom line is, its rare but its there. But Austin is such a lovely city and the people are no nice here, that you will not have any issue with anything else.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This kind of thing is usually said by people who are talking about areas that they don't have a clue about (which is to say, "the rest of Austin" and, for that matter, Texas).
Or maybe I live outside the downtown limits and have my own experiences. Or perhaps I work with people who say things that would've gotten Archie Bunker kicked off TV. Please don't invalidate my experience.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Then don't color entire areas and an entire state with that and invalidate the experiences of a whole state. Fair enough? (That's usually called, politely, stereotyping.)

Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Then don't color entire areas and an entire state with that and invalidate the experiences of a whole state. Fair enough? (That's usually called, politely, stereotyping.)
Or it's called an honest answer based on personal experience, which is what the original poster was asking for. Just because you haven't noticed or experienced something doesn't make it untrue, as others have said in this thread and others.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM

And mine is an honest answer based on personal experience, as well, having lived in East Texas, North Texas, and Central Texas, and having family members in other parts of the state (some of whom are involved in IR relationships). Just because you've experienced something doesn't make it true of the entire city outside of Central Austin or, indeed, Texas. That's a MIGHTY big paint brush you're using if it covers a state as big and diverse as Texas with almost 26,000,000 inhabitants.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 7,009 times
Anywhere you live, you're going to have people who are ignorant, stupid, racists, et al.

Anywhere you live you're going to have intelligent people who really don't care what color your skin is.

Anywhere you live you're going to have "insert blank here".

The suggestion would be that if someone is an bigoted ass, stay away from them, and make friends who .... don't care.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im half an IR couple and have been in DFW for 4 years now. Never once have we even had a stare.
We get them every time we go to DFW. Sadly, I used to like DFW quite a bit. That was when I was just by myself though. I don't know what the deal is, but we definitely get those "what the f...?" -type stares over there more so from Blacks than any other race, but stares nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin