Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,370,349 times

Advertisements

The best way to find shows you're interested in is to pick up the Austin Chronicle every week and just look through the venue ads towards the back of the paper. The metal (I'm talking current stuff here, not the "comeback" stadium tours of formerly-popular hair metal bands) will definitely be playing on Red River - there are several clubs that feature a lot of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM

343 posts, read 1,606,251 times
twange is right...red river would be the place.....Emo's is the only major venue there that has pretty much hardcore metal and such 24/7, and there are 3 emo venues as well. You will also find the red river district to be the most college orientated and hardest rocking in Austin. I would say that the sound system in those clubs must be at least 3 times louder than anywhere else in the area. Too bad I'm way too old to hang out there....

Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM

343 posts, read 1,606,251 times
Like b. frank says, pick up a copy of the chron...it has a red page each week that makes
the eyeballs bleed, which has all those type bands you're looking for. And check out the
other stuff, like blues and such too. You may find you develop a taste for music you
weren't into before....
http://www.beardedlady.net/emostenth2.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,027,487 times
I really like Austin- check out New Orleans which is Austin twins city-same beat for nightlife:

Travel + Leisure says New Orleans is tops for live music, cocktails and cheap eats
Posted by jwhite October 10, 2007 4:52PM
4:54 p.m., Wednesday

New Orleans is the best city in the United States for live music, cocktail hour and "cheap eats," according to the results of a Travel + Leisure/CNN Headline News poll released Wednesday. But, among the top 25 U.S. travel destinations as established by the poll, the city was voted last in terms of safety and cleanliness and near the bottom as a family vacation destination.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 06:01 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,881,839 times
Not to turn this into a N.O. vs Austin hi-jack...but imaterry started it...

New Orleans is amazing. Funny thing, but the first time I visited Austin was on the same trip that I first visited New Orleans. We drove the whole Gulf Coast from Tampa to Austin. We had a pretty direct comparison of the two cities, since it was so fresh in our minds. Of course these things are totally subjective...

The food in New Orleans if off the chain totally. But man, after 4 days of eating that rich, creamy, deep-fried culinary jewelry, all I wanted was salad and water for one whole week! No wonder that city ranks low in health

The music is indeed "spilling out into the streets", but remember Austin has nothing as concentrated as the French Quarter. It has sections like that but the French Quarter is one of the most unique places in the United States. So to compare it to anywhere else - even NYC - is problematic. The things that have plagued N.O. (even before Katrina) were: poverty, race relations, safety, and general maintenance. But we love it. There's no other place like it in the States.

Obviously, we thought enough of Austin to move here so...I think the fact that they're about 8 hrs away is awesome. And don't forget, a lot of N.O. musicians have come here, which is great in terms of musical diversity. The great thing about this region of the country(south/southwest) is that the regions still have their own brand of sound. While we can get all the music we want online or at any record store, getting it first hand is still the best and traveling around you can feel the impact the land and culture has on the music. Even though we're becoming a bland land of chains and strip malls, there's still some color left.

BTW, there was someone posting on this forum recently relocated from N.O.(romesq maybe?). I'm sure she would have something important to add to this thread.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:23 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,027,487 times
No this is not an Austin vs NOLA but how they have similar nightlifes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: