Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we really pull off the F1 race?
Yes, of course, it will be a smashing success. 29 52.73%
Not sure, time will tell. 17 30.91%
No way, it will be a disaster. 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times

Advertisements

Oh, and this is a bit of good news. When Sodexo was announced as the food vendor for the F1 race, I figured it would be the same (mostly) crap that they peddle at UT games. But luckily, they are incorporating more local restaurants (including trailers like East Side King) into the menu at F1 -

Formula One fans to get a taste of Austin at Circuit of the... | www.austin360.com

Also, Texas wines from Fredericksburg and Tito's Vodka/Sweetleaf. Not sure how well they will go over, but at least the out of town visitors will have a chance at a real taste of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
My wife and I just attended Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque last week, which amazingly draws about 800K people to ABQ, which has a metro population of about 800K. So the city doubles in size (though not all on one day I suppose).

The two days we attended (Friday and Saturday) traffic was backed up on I25 5:30AM (things start really early for this event, then a second round afternoon/evening, daily) but they had an army of police and parking volunteers keeping everything moving. We were literally guided in all the way to our specific parking spot. From hotel to parking spot less than 45 minutes. They really have this down to a science and it's very well orchestrated.

I remember thinking that I don't think the city of Austin can match that type of outcome, given that Hwy 71 is involved, and I view our city leaders as somewhat dimwitted (as a group). I just don't think our city planners and people in charge are smart enough and talented enough to pull off anything close to what I experienced driving in and out of Balloon Fiesta.

Have you driven out by the airport lately? It's a complete mess coming through Del Valle bottleneck. Unless they wrap that up really quick, I just don't see the throughput in place, shuttle, helicopters, etc. notwithstanding.

As a personal example of the dunces that run things in AUS, I went to the Cap Metro website this weekend to check the #30 bus route near my home, which runs right through Zilker. As my wife and I were heading straight to ACL after returning from ABQ Saturday. Saw the time, with no hint of any changes or differences on either the "trip planner", which I used, or the "schedules and maps" page, which I also consulted. Wife and I walked to the bus stop and waited at the appointed time. No bus came. After about 15 minutes past the pickup time I called 474-1200, and listened to a message saying that (list of routes including #30) would be "detoured" during ACL.

Great. These idiots can't even keep a great bus route #30, which runs right through the middle of Zilker, running through ACL. The one time of year when it would make sense to even double up on the route and shuttle people from Barton Creek Mall, they stop running it through Zilker

I have zero confidence in the morons and idiots at City of Austin and Cap Metro to get this right. Zero. If it can be screwed up, they'll screw it up, because they are, collectively, stupid. (Whoa, I guess I still have a little bit of anger about the bus stop fiasco ... breathe ...).

If private organizers are handing the logistics, I give it a better chance.

Steve

Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times
The detour of the #30 bus was listed right on the front page of capmetro. As well as in the ACL-related announcements: http://www.capmetro.org/news-item.aspx?id=1684

>>These idiots can't even keep a great bus route #30, which runs right through the middle of Zilker, running through ACL.

Umm, running right through the middle of Zilker is _why_ it had to be detoured. Unless you want to be sitting on a bus for 3 hours while it's stuck behind a bunch of pedestrians.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The detour of the #30 bus was listed right on the front page of capmetro. As well as in the ACL-related announcements: http://www.capmetro.org/news-item.aspx?id=1684

>>These idiots can't even keep a great bus route #30, which runs right through the middle of Zilker, running through ACL.

Umm, running right through the middle of Zilker is _why_ it had to be detoured. Unless you want to be sitting on a bus for 3 hours while it's stuck behind a bunch of pedestrians.
Great. An apologist for Cap Metro.

OK, let me put this in 101 terms...

Most of us start on Google. I Googled "Cap Metro #30" which, because Google is so good I guess, results in this link as the top search result Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Ever heard of a "landing page"? That's the entry point into a website that most people take following a search result. Nobody types the www address and enters in through the front door of a website anymore. Talented web programmers know this. If Cap Metro had talented tech people, the website would be dynamic and adjust to the actual reality on the ground. That would/should not be difficult, especially if known months in advance. In no case should the webmaster expect people to assume that they have to go hunting on the website to confirm that the information presented on both the trip planner and the route schedule is accurate and trustworthy. Like I said, these are stupid people running a lousy website.

And, if more people were riding the buses, there wouldn't be a crowd of people walking down the middle of Barton Springs Rd creating the need for a bus detour. Irony. Do I really need to argue this point?

As it turned out, I drove to as close as we could get, parked and then walked along the very bus route I should have been riding on.

So, will they screw up F1? I don't see how they couldn't given the lack of talent and brains in the decision making roles.

Steve

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,877,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Most of us start on Google. I Googled "Cap Metro #30" which, because Google is so good I guess, results in this link as the top search result Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Ever heard of a "landing page"? That's the entry point into a website that most people take following a search result. Nobody types the www address and enters in through the front door of a website anymore.
Generalization alert!

I *always* enter at the home page of a website, especially one with frequently-changing information. The home page is where they're going to put their critical news, updates and links.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
...dimwitted... (not) smart enough and talented enough... dunces... idiots... zero confidence in the morons and idiots... If it can be screwed up, they'll screw it up, because they are, collectively, stupid... stupid people running a lousy website... the lack of talent and brains...
So let me see if I understand... what you're saying is... they didn't do things the way you would have done them?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So let me see if I understand... what you're saying is... they didn't do things the way you would have done them?
Yes, exactly. I simply expect more for my tax dollars. If you don't, then fine.

I'm saying, if I was in charge of Cap Metro, and a CIO offered up these lame excuses as to why the bus routing tools and information can't be kept accurate and up to date in real time, I'd say "your fired". This is 2012 and there is no excuse for this shoddy level of output. It shouldn't even be an argument. Perhaps you and others have lower expectations or don't understand how truly simple it should be to accomplish this.

Further, to the topic at hand, if this is the level of talent and capability that will determine whether F1 transportation succeeds or not, I'm betting against it. OK?

Steve

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times
Quote:
information can't be kept accurate and up to date in real time,
It was accurate and up to date, you were just looking in the wrong place. You were looking at the equivalent of the printed schedule (the .pdf link on that page should have clued you in).

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
I'm saying, if I was in charge of Cap Metro, and a CIO offered up these lame excuses as to why the bus routing tools and information can't be kept accurate and up to date in real time, I'd say "your fired".
"Your" kidding, right?

Quote:
This is 2012 and there is no excuse for this shoddy level of output. It shouldn't even be an argument. Perhaps you and others have lower expectations or don't understand how truly simple it should be to accomplish this.
Your Mileage May Vary - I expected bus routes and schedules to be disrupted... they always are... and the advisory on the home page was quite clear. The service alert on my smartphone app was also clear. And for that matter, I thought the posted notices at the bus stops and on the buses were clear, too.

Without knowing the specifics of how their website is configured and how and by whom it is maintained, it's difficult to say how easy or hard or expensive it would be to change their operating maps and schedules just for that three day event. I personally don't think speculation without that information is productive. But since you feel you have a handle on what the solution should be, why don't you write a letter to them and make your suggestions?

Quote:
Further, to the topic at hand, if this is the level of talent and capability that will determine whether F1 transportation succeeds or not, I'm betting against it. OK?
I'm sure there will be snarls during F1, yes, and upsets, and BTW, be advised: bus routes and schedules will be disrupted. They always are.

Oh, and looking ahead to Veteran's Day, Saturday, November 10, be aware that there's a Service Alert up already that CapMetro will be running on Sunday schedules, with no MetroRail, no Night Owl or e-bus.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-17-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Here's some of what F1 visitors will be expecting from Austin. As is typical with British media, it's way too long and informative. Lost my attention span after about 45 seconds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/vid...o-austin-video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin