Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we really pull off the F1 race?
Yes, of course, it will be a smashing success. 29 52.73%
Not sure, time will tell. 17 30.91%
No way, it will be a disaster. 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

Oh, and as expected, New Jersey won't be competing with Austin in 2013. It wasn't really a profitable deal as a one-time street race, so I think their problem was lack of interest by investors. Let's hope they get it together for 2014 or 2015, if Austin is a success it could create demand for 2 races in the USA:

pitpass - New Jersey F1 race postponed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
The problem I see is that some French millionaire is not going to take a shuttle or go to the nearest park and ride. Just not going to happen. That's part of what I meant when I said that Austin just doesn't know how to accommodate such a large number of ridiculously high-end visitors. After this first race, both the wealthy and foreign contingent (in other words, a HUGE portion of F1 patrons) are going to be completely turned-off, if not downright offended, and will not come back. As soon as there's a race in Jersey, they'll head there instead.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
An example of a city failing at hosting an event was Dallas when they hosted the Superbowl a few years ago. Media worldwide bashed them. But I don't think the same fate will befall us.
Media also bashed Houston when they hosted the superbowl back in 2003 for insufficient Hotel space near Reliant Stadium.

Anywho... any exposure is good exposure, right?

What I wonder myself is why is it that most people who are against all the development and dramatic changes that Austin is undergoing also seem to be the one's opposed to the F1 Tracks? And is there a correlation between that and the fact that they are the one's who doubt Austin can pull something of this magnitude off? Do these particular people wonder that if they'd have been pro urban rail, pro development, then all of the undergoing changes taking place in Austin would answer to the demands required for such an event?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The problem I see is that some French millionaire is not going to take a shuttle or go to the nearest park and ride. Just not going to happen. That's part of what I meant when I said that Austin just doesn't know how to accommodate such a large number of ridiculously high-end visitors. After this first race, both the wealthy and foreign contingent (in other words, a HUGE portion of F1 patrons) are going to be completely turned-off, if not downright offended, and will not come back. As soon as there's a race in Jersey, they'll head there instead.
The French millionaires will take limos or the helicopter shuttle, of course. That's how they roll. The fact that the commoners must ride the shuttle makes it even more enjoyable to them!

Other bigwigs will park their rented exotic car at the track, where $200 parking is still available. Of course the exotic car rental companies locally are having to bring in cars from other cities -- as far away as NY ( Exotic car demand high for Formula One | KXAN.com) to meet the demand. But for the folks with the bucks, they will be there for them. Did you know the Ferrari Club of America have their own reserved grandstand/hospitality at the track, complete with parking? The package runs about $3200 for the 3 day pass (I believe there is something similar for Porsche Club members).

Then there is this. No parking, traffic, hotel hassles -- they will fly you from your home in NY City, Miami, or LA on a private chartered jet and take you to the race and back home on the same day: Air-Express | Raceland Adventure Starts at $2795 for the practice/qualifying day on Saturday, $3595 for Sunday.

Bottom line, the wealthy and wealthy foreign contingent will be just fine. And besides, only 15% of the ticket sales are to foreigners. And most of them are from Mexico (who, incidentally, are very used to riding buses -- all classes of people do it). So I expect I-35 will be quite busy from the south.

For F1 fans, Austin will be a lot more fun (as a destination) than Indianapolis was, and a FAR better track (Indy was a converted/not purpose built track). Of course, Austin is much more expensive than Indy (for everything), so in a sense it's not as fan friendly... especially to the people wanting to experience the race on a budge.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
I agree atxcio the wealthy will be just fine. There maybe a couple who think Austin might not live up to their standards, but for the most part alot of them will be just fine, heck you got helicopters, private jets, airplanes, exotic cars, who could ask for more....:-)

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

And if F1 doesn't work out, there is always Tennis..

Quote:
Circuit of The Americas officials are making preliminary plans to use the new motorsports facility for more than races and concerts. Sports from boxing to beach volleyball to soccer are being considered for the venue, but the most intriguing opportunity involves tennis.

The circuit could, for a few days at least, be transformed into one of the world’s largest tennis stadiums.

“It could seat close to 20,000,” said Tim Stallard, a local promoter who is working with the circuit in an effort to stage tennis at the $300 million road course in southeastern Travis County.

Bobby Epstein, the circuit’s chairman, said tennis would be a particularly good fit at the track.

“It’s a high-end demographic,” Epstein said. “They need corporate suites.”

The circuit has plenty of those, and Epstein said the grandstand, paddock and other features at the track were designed to be flexible in staging events.
Circuit of The Americas looks to expand sports offerings to... | www.statesman.com

Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I agree atxcio the wealthy will be just fine. There maybe a couple who think Austin might not live up to their standards, but for the most part alot of them will be just fine, heck you got helicopters, private jets, airplanes, exotic cars, who could ask for more....:-)
I'd wager that wealthy people will always find something to gripe about... always.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Time will tell.

Personally, if I had to choose Austin getting some better museums and performing arts centers - something more on par with what's in Houston's museum district and arts district, over the F-1, I'd choose the former.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The French millionaires will take limos or the helicopter shuttle, of course. That's how they roll. The fact that the commoners must ride the shuttle makes it even more enjoyable to them!
Yep. They just announced the two helicopter shuttle pads on S Congress and over by Mopac, where for $654 each way you can avoid the hoi polloi completely. Put that on your Carbonite Amex card, sir?

What I don't think a lot of the critics have grasped yet is F1 racing ain't anything at all like yer average stock-car race out at the old airfield.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
You're also ignoring the fact that Austin not being like New York/New Jersey is part of the appeal. It's something different. Several of the very rich are going to be staying on local ranches before/during/after the race, getting the whole "Texas Experience".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin