U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,944,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
CANNOT compare Austin to Vancouver.......apples to oranges.......and thankfully, I don't live there over the winter!

AND......btw...........I was in Eastern Europe when it was under the Soviets.....bad.....bad....bad.
No one is comparing Vancouver to Austin. It is a counter example the the strawman soviet style central planning development that you bring up. Vancouver shows you can develop beautiful cities, filled with nature and parks and funky streets and restaurants and shops and life and all the things that we love in a city by being compact and efficient and dense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM

970 posts, read 1,651,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
No one is comparing Vancouver to Austin. It is a counter example the the strawman soviet style central planning development that you bring up. Vancouver shows you can develop beautiful cities, filled with nature and parks and funky streets and restaurants and shops and life and all the things that we love in a city by being compact and efficient and dense.
I will say that the park there........in Vancouver......is lovely.....worth going to. It is just a wonderful, picturesque city that Austin will never be.

However, there are greenbelts and protected areas here.....thank goodness. You do have to remember that we're (Austin) a young city, and we had (still have) that whole "capitol view / corridor" thing going. So, when my cousin had his wedding reception......way back when......it was in a five-storey building....which was a big deal.

I'm a Native Texan / Native Houstonian......who has lived other places.....East Coast and West Coast. (And, unfortunately up North.)

Austin is good........"weird"......unweird........and everything in between (or over the top!)

Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,034,622 times
Quote:
The city policies guaranty the only place for people to go is to the suburbs.
Moderator cut: personal attack Drive up Burnet or either direction on Lamar.

Last edited by Debsi; 11-02-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,326,458 times
Quote:
Nice straw man, but No one is advocating this. For an example of what a dense but very livable city looks like - look at Vancouver. It is stunningly gorgeous.
Hong Kong used to be gorgeous when I was there in 1958.

Now it's worse than any eastern bloc concrete jungle.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,944,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Hong Kong used to be gorgeous when I was there in 1958.

Now it's worse than any eastern bloc concrete jungle.
Hong Kong has a density of around 17,000/sq mi. It's over 3X as dense as Vancouver which is twice as dense as Austin. No one here or anywhere is talking about density on the order of magnitude of Hong Kong or anywhere close to it.

Indeed no one is even proposing density on the order of Vancouver. I merely offer it as an example of a beautiful city that is very dense compared to Austin, and doesn't fit the Orwellian nightmarish vision proposed by some.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM

970 posts, read 1,651,605 times
Several years ago, my husband and I looked out over Manhattan from the balcony of the Statue of Liberty and said, "That is one ugly city." And it is............not pretty. There ARE some pretty buildings, but Too Many people concentrated in Too Small a space.............for .......what....reason?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,879,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Several years ago, my husband and I looked out over Manhattan from the balcony of the Statue of Liberty and said, "That is one ugly city." And it is............not pretty. There ARE some pretty buildings, but Too Many people concentrated in Too Small a space.............for .......what....reason?
Moderator cut: off-topic, personal Regarding your post, I think the opposite. New York City is one of the most beautiful cities in the world imo.

Last edited by Debsi; 11-02-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,804,343 times
Quote:
But don't you think we could achieve that density with multi story "French Quarter" style buildings with ground floor shops and apartments overhead. Imagine if where all the East side homes were, a whole community of French Quarter style apartments were, the density of Austin would quickly sky rocket.

I do think there needs to be some more infill downtown, but I believe most of it should be hotel rooms. I read an article that portions of SxSW Interactive are moving to Vegas because we don't have enough hotel rooms. Those hotels need to be built downtown, there is no other area they could be built if you want tourists to not have to use cars.

But I would love to see the whole East side going the whole French Quarter route.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM

20,795 posts, read 39,809,076 times
For those of you who don't know, here's the actual story on "Keep Austin Weird" before somebody, who clearly had and has absolutely NO CLUE what it meant and in fact apparently thought it meant just the opposite of what Red, the coiner of the phrase, meant by it, commercialized it. (May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits for the rest of their lives.)

Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,804,343 times
Think about Paris, it has 5-10 story buildings in most of its blocks but its very dense.

To me, Paris is far more interesting than NYC with its skyscrapers. I would favor individual multistory buildings over skyscrapers, to tell the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or