U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,953,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, whether you like it or not, French Place is the name the community itself gave the neighborhood long, long ago. That trumps city planning convenience any day, in my book.
I believe the historic maps over the aspirational names that came later. And the part of the community that called themselves French Place were the folks who wished they were on French Place Street, but weren't. Ditto Cherrywood. The Cherrywood Cafe is actually at the end of Lafayette St, so why isn't it called Lafayette Cafe?

It's not a biggie to me, more just a giggle at how silly people are, thinking one name for a neighborhood is more valuable than another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Kind of a bizarre little rant. Won't bother to address the neither here nor there stuff about whether you call it Upper Boggy Creek or some other term since at the end of the day - how is that apropos of anything?
Quote:
Correlation does not equal causation. Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B. That is a logical fallacy. Both A and B may occur because of X or A and B may have independent causes of X and Y. There are many possibilities. Here's a helpful academic paper on this issue: xkcd: Correlation Second logical fallacy here - you present B follows A and then list a long parade of horribles that aren't related to either B or A. Honestly, are guys with Machete's coming into the neighborhood because of granny flats? What?
Kind of a bizarre response, given that I addressed a lot of specific things that changed about the neighborhood, mostly to the advantage of the people who made money flipping the area. It's a far less livable neighborhood now. Crime is definitely up. The machete thugs were real. We had many neighborhood association meetings with Austin Police Department to try to address the issues.

Quote:
Really, I swear people, allowing granny flats doesn't mean your neighborhood will be invaded by machete wielding thugs or invite people to shoot out your windows with guns.
No, not necessarily. But pretty much everything else I mentioned is quite predictable... higher density, higher traffic, higher tax assessments, higher rents, and a complete change in the look and feel of the neighborhood. It's not a small or simple change at all.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
If they are renting at a particular price, THAT is the market price. In real estate you have to compare apples to apples, if all over the garage apartments in one neighborhood is are going for a higher rent that comparable apartments in OTHER neighborhoods, then the market price in that first neighborhood is simply higher.
Sure, but you missed the point. The handful of garage apartments in the neighborhood were cheap when they were few and far between, and they were cheaper than average apartment rentals in the city because they were typically smaller and funkier and didn't have the amenities of apartment complexes.

Once the area got flipped, however, the rents did too, and they went from below-market in the citywide sense to above-market in the city-wide sense.

Sure, if all the HEBs and Randalls and WalMarts are selling Gala apples for $1.25 a pound and Whole Foods is selling the same apples for $2 a pound, then the market price AT Whole Foods is $2, sure, but the city-wide comparison price is $1.25. That's what I was talking about, the comparison to the overall rental market.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM

20,791 posts, read 39,701,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I believe the historic maps over the aspirational names that came later. And the part of the community that called themselves French Place were the folks who wished they were on French Place Street, but weren't. Ditto Cherrywood. The Cherrywood Cafe is actually at the end of Lafayette St, so why isn't it called Lafayette Cafe?

It's not a biggie to me, more just a giggle at how silly people are, thinking one name for a neighborhood is more valuable than another
And yet, as I recall, you were the one who was making fun of people not calling it by the name that you prefer, but rather its historical name (historical, of course, being relative - the city designated it and several other neighborhoods as Upper Boggy Creek in the 1990's, I believe, as I said for planning purposes, and French Place was the traditional name for quite some time before that - I know it was an established name for it as early as the late 1960's).

So shouldn't you have been giggling at yourself, if the above statement is correct?

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 11-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM

9,353 posts, read 9,279,999 times
Well, let's just revert to Waterloo, shall we?

After all, Austin and that Waller guy were just carpetbaggers, weren't they?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,594,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Honestly, are guys with Machete's coming into the neighborhood because of granny flats? What?

Really, I swear people, allowing granny flats doesn't mean your neighborhood will be invaded by machete wielding thugs or invite people to shoot out your windows with guns.
Maybe the machete wielding thugs moved there because of the prohibitively high rents the granny flats caused.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Of course we could call the 2nd Street Warehouse district by its historical name, "Guy Town".

Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM

20,791 posts, read 39,701,658 times
Hey, that has a lot more flavor than 2nd Street Warehouse district! Speaking of changing names for real estate marketing purposes!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
And yet, as I recall, you were the one who was making fun of people not calling it by the name that you prefer, but rather its historical name (historical, of course, being relative - the city designated it and several other neighborhoods as Upper Boggy Creek in the 1990's, I believe, as I said for planning purposes, and French Place was the traditional name for quite some time before that - I know it was an established name for it as early as the late 1960's).
You don't think the city just made the name up from thin air, do you? Look at old, old maps. There's an Upper Boggy Creek, and a Lower Boggy Creek, both of which relate to an actual creek, which like much of the much larger Waller Creek, is little known today, and barely hanging on. I used to love the sound of the frogs at night in Boggy Creek during springtime.

And the deal with French Place... that's properly the name of a street, not the name of an area... is that it's only about 4 1/2 blocks long, between Manor and Edgewood, and the houses on it were always larger and more expensive than the houses on either side of it... on either Breeze Terrace or on Lafayette Street. So the "aspirational" naming commenced, with those who wished to associate themselves with a more upscale street making that inference for marketing purposes in their real estate listings.

In point of fact, if one continues north from the end of French Place past Edgewater, around the goofy turn of Kem Ramble Street to 34th Street, one finds the Cherrywood Pocket Park and Cherrywood Green, which is dead center in the neighborhood long known as Cherrywood, which encompasses the streets known as French Place, Lafayette Street, and Breeze Terrace. So yes, the Cherrywood Coffeehouse, at the intersection of Lafayette and East 38 1/2 Street, is correctly named, for the neighborhood it's in. That was a trick question.

Take a look at this data sheet from City-Data for the neighborhood called Cherrywood. You'll find Cherrywood Park dead center, right under the label for Upper Boggy Creek.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Austin-TX.html

Quote:
So shouldn't you have been giggling at yourself, if the above statement is correct?
I always do. Seriously, it's not that serious. My comments were lighthearted in nature. Just having a laugh. Please take a couple for yourself.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-05-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, that has a lot more flavor than 2nd Street Warehouse district! Speaking of changing names for real estate marketing purposes!
For those of you who love Austin history, including "Guy Town" and O'Henry, this novel is a must read:

A Twist at the End
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or