Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

I'll do my best to come up with something more concrete for you, but just consider that the population of Austin is 820,000 plus. What percentage of those do you imagine ever goes downtown or enjoys the things that downtown, these days, has to offer? And yet, they're Austinites just as much as you are.

Most everyone that I know (of varying ages) that used to go downtown (of varying ages) no longer does. There's plenty available outside of downtown to do if you actually look anywhere but there, with much less hassle getting there (and finding a place to park when you do!). Downtown being, of course, bounded more or less by the river on the south, MLK on the north, I35 on the east, and perhaps as far west as Mopac, though that's a real stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This, I think, is the most reasonable solution. After all, most people in Austin already don't go downtown, because the traffic hassles and crowds far outweigh the appeal these days, and there's so much more available elsewhere in town. Why not take advantage of that and instead of trying to force everyone to live near a place they don't go anyway because YOU want that specific kind of "urban density", encourage walkability all over the city in individual "urban islands" or "villages", as mentioned above?
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded"
- Yogi Berra

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 PM

160 posts, read 365,675 times
Between "inward sprawl" and "nobody goes downtown because it's too crowded" TexasHorseLady is two for two in nonsensicals.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded"
- Yogi Berra
I know, it sounds ridiculous, but it's actually true when you think about it and you think about Austin having the size population it does. If a very small percentage of that 820,000+ population (just inside the city limits) is in downtown, it becomes so crowded that the rest of the population, which counts just as much as those who live and work downtown, will not go there. Thus, it makes more sense to have numerous "density islands", as OpenD calls them, throughout the city if the goal is actually to achieve walkability, reduce traffic, etc.

So it's entirely possible for "nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded" to be, in fact, the case.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
Between "inward sprawl" and "nobody goes downtown because it's too crowded" TexasHorseLady is two for two in nonsensicals.
Caught you! Not even Wiki lists 'nonsensical' as a noun that can be plural. It's an adjective. Don't go co-opting your own words for the sake of your argument or I'm gonna take my toys and go home! Sounds a little silly, eh?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM

I have lived in Austin and frequented downtown for the last 20 years. I have worked in the service industry downtown as well. The number of people and establishments has exploded and has only gotten bigger as each year has passed. Entire districts of restaurants and clubs have developed where none existed before. No sane person would say that "nobody goes there anymore".

Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Caught you! Not even Wiki lists 'nonsensical' as a noun that can be plural. It's an adjective. Don't go co-opting your own words for the sake of your argument or I'm gonna take my toys and go home! Sounds a little silly, eh?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Has anyone else noticed that much of the grandstanding for 'proper density' is done by people who don't want to buy a car and who want billions of dollars of transit just outside of their still-affordable in-town apartment that's within a few feet of parks, cute stores, boutiques, coffee shops with bakeries, book stores with comfy chairs and free wi-fi, a natural/local farmers' market AND lower taxes.? Just sayin'.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
I have lived in Austin and frequented downtown for the last 20 years. I have worked in the service industry downtown as well. The number of people and establishments has exploded and has only gotten bigger as each year has passed. Entire districts of restaurants and clubs have developed where none existed before. No sane person would say that "nobody goes there anymore".
But, don't you see, that's not allowed outside of some mystical, mythical, magical 'urban core'...beyond which no one is allowed to live, work or travel. Density rules! (Easy for me to say...up here in Avery Ranch...bazinga!)

Old 11-06-2012, 02:04 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
I am all for thoughtful and intelligent development, and can't say that I don't get excited by new and shiny, but I will have to say that even as the traffic increases downtown, the percentage of Austin's population that goes there is probably much smaller than most imagine.

It is 3am and I can't sleep so I hope that was properly worded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin