Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM

101 posts, read 163,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You'll need to determine that by interviewing several until you find one you feel you can communicate with and who will take your concern seriously.

Sounds good, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
Hi all! I've been reading around here for a while now, but couldn't find an answer to the following question, so I figured I would ask...

I am between jobs right now and living with my parents, but that's looking like it's going to change soon. I am looking for an apartment in north Austin (78753/78758/etc., not too far north). I have a few specific requirements and was looking for other's experience on the subject:

- My price range is somewhere around $800/month.

- I want to avoid bugs as much as physically possible, especially spiders and tree roaches. (would being on the 2nd floor, or higher, help?) I'm actually in therapy for my bug phobia, but it's not helping much... yet...

- If possible, I would like a nice apartment (who doesn't?) with a pool, fitness room, clubhouse, etc.

Bear in mind, I'm not looking for specific complex recommendations (though if you have some, then by all means), I'm just looking for recommendations about locations in Austin that may fit the bill...
Tell us where you will be working and we can suggest good neighborhoods near that part of town.

The zip codes you mentioned include some pretty high crime neighborhoods. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...me-austin.html

If you want to get by without a car it will be important for you to live close to your work or carefully examine the bus routs near your work to see where you can live near that bus route. Bus transportation is not great in Austin but it can work if you plan it carefully. Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Austin has a lot of bike lanes and trails and is adding more, so that can be a good alternative for reasonable distances when it is not too hot or rainy.

I was not able to find any "treehouse Apartments" on google maps in Austin, the closest it showed was San Marcos, South of Austin. ??

https://www.padmapper.com/ and Trulia.com are good map based resource for finding apartments, it allows you to set filters for price and size.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM

101 posts, read 163,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Tell us where you will be working and we can suggest good neighborhoods near that part of town.

The zip codes you mentioned include some pretty high crime neighborhoods. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...me-austin.html

If you want to get by without a car it will be important for you to live close to your work or carefully examine the bus routs near your work to see where you can live near that bus route. Bus transportation is not great in Austin but it can work if you plan it carefully. Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Austin has a lot of bike lanes and trails and is adding more, so that can be a good alternative for reasonable distances when it is not too hot or rainy.

I was not able to find any "treehouse Apartments" on google maps in Austin, the closest it showed was San Marcos, South of Austin. ??

https://www.padmapper.com/ and Trulia.com are good map based resource for finding apartments, it allows you to set filters for price and size.
Thank for all the info! I am currently in the process of finding a job, so I don't have an exact location yet. All the tech jobs are up north though, which is why I was looking for info from up there...

Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 AM

67 posts, read 176,716 times
Padmapper helps with finding apartments that are on Craigslist.
Everything Austin Apartments - A map of apartments in Austin, Texas is a map based resource for looking at way more options than just the ones that advertise on Craigslist.

You can also use the ratings and reviews search engine on the site to help with the bug thing (maybe). Ratings and Reviews

Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 AM

22 posts, read 42,614 times
my friend told me that there are plenty of temporary apartment rentals in Texas, let me check the whole list for that... thanks!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl826 View Post
Padmapper helps with finding apartments that are on Craigslist.
Everything Austin Apartments - A map of apartments in Austin, Texas is a map based resource for looking at way more options than just the ones that advertise on Craigslist.

You can also use the ratings and reviews search engine on the site to help with the bug thing (maybe). Ratings and Reviews
Here are two more map based Austin apartment search websites.

Everything Austin Apartments - A map of apartments in Austin, Texas

Austin Apartments For Rent and other Austin Rentals — Trulia.com

If your work is likely to be on the North side of town you should probably look in Round Rock, prices are often lower. Round Rock Apartments For Rent and other Round Rock Rentals — Trulia.com

Old 11-23-2012, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,312 times
It sounds like trying out a locator and finding out what they recommend is the way to go because they'll know the most about their areas, and maybe having to go through that a few times. One thing you can do is select apts. that are treeless around them, with lots of concrete in parking lots, etc. That environment would not produce bugs as much as environments with lots of trees, bushes, and overgrown vegetation, including old leaves, etc. The apt. may still attract roaches from other tenants, but they will less likely be tree roaches and you can treat the areas beforehand. I was able to eliminate all tree roaches from my mobile home after several years, when I used to get 2-3 every summer. I put out boric acid and comet and caught every single one of those bugs and they stopped coming. I know that's not much comfort, but it shows that there are ways to deal with them, and the more fore-armed (and fore-warned), the better. Knowledge is power. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM

22 posts, read 42,614 times
Finding an apartment in this area may be quite a feat especially during the peak season, but once you find the flat that fits to your like,, oh well, its worth the wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin