Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
They did recommend Westwood-zoned areas. I have done a ton of research on my own and I think Doss/Murchison/Anderson would be fine, but I need to be better at standing up for myself.

EZPetersen - that's heartening! That's the kind of lifestyle I imagine having. Although, our family live in Brushy Creek, I think - so you don't find it tough to get downtown from there?
Nope - not at all, outside of peak traffic times in the morning, getting downtown is 20-30 minutes, depending on where DT. The marina we use in Volente is about 20 minutes. We've even used the light rail a few times to go downtown - the kids love that. While it's not "downtown", the Domain can be pretty fun for a shorter people watching/happy hour/shopping trip.

I think the mistake many people make when living outside of a city core is to look for convenience over adventure, you almost fall into this rut/cycle of the easiest pre-packaged thing that's on the shelf as opposed to just heading out and getting lost. I've found some pretty cool stuff not trying to get anywhere specific. That old saying of "it's the getting there that's half the fun" is quite often true if you let it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
I've given up on the dream of being able to walk to lots of places, but I hear that Austin proper has so much going on for families, and so much for adults to do, and I don't want to move all that way and then have it be just as much of a hassle to take advantage of those things as it is here. My husband and I are also both musicians (not trying to make a living at it, we have day jobs, but we do play out here) and I'd want access to that as well.
why give up on the dream of being able to walk to lots of places? Don't fall into the rut of thinking you need the space. QOL of important. Downsizing was the best thing we ever did. So much less to maintain, keep up with. So much more free time to spend with friends and family. So many more things to do right outside our window. We have up a quarter acre lot with yard to maintain and gained a huge gorgeously city maintained gorgeous park with amazing amenities right outside our front door. Shaping, cafes, restaurants, clubs, shared spaces, all w/n 5-10 minute walk. What have we lost? A bunch of crap we didn't use most of the time and don't need.

Don't give in to the pressure to move to the sticks. sprawl is soul sucking and brain damaging. Your kids will thank you one day for growing up in an area with amazing stuff to do every day right outside.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 PM

45 posts, read 77,740 times
I'm with you, but I have to balance everyone's wants/needs. My husband will be working in Cedar Park. His only must-have for a house is somewhere to keep a wood shop (he's into woodworking as a hobby), but I know there aren't any basements, so he might need space to put up a shed or something. And while I know standardized testing isn't the greatest measure of a school, I want to make sure my girls are getting a good education.

If it were just me, I'd live close to downtown in a heartbeat - but I'm trying to find the best balance for everyone.

eta: We don't have to take this opportunity, either. We live in sprawl right now, pretty much, but at least we're settled here. If we're going to move so far, I don't want to end up with the same things that I dislike about here.

Last edited by campbetc; 11-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
We are 43 and 52, no kids, with a good amount of disposable income, and we live in Cedar Park. We might go into downtown Austin two or three times per month, if that. There has to be a really compelling reason to go, because of the traffic and parking mess, but if we do go it is usually to go to a special presentation at the Bob Bullock Museum (where we're members and have parking passes), to an occasional UT football game, to a live performance, or to eat at a restaurant on a very special occasion (RARE!) We try to ride the train when possible. We might spend the night downtown once per year, just to hang out and not worry about having to drive home. But there's enough to do that is closer to home or in between Cedar Park and downtown, that doesn't involve traffic or a parking nightmare.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Almost never/only when forced. Too much traffic and hipsters.

I try to stick to the outskirts where there is just too much traffic and sprawl.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Ugh, urban living is overrated. Just got back from New York City, where I've lived for 28 of my years. Some of those years were actually in Manhattan. And I can tell you, while pretty and all, I don't want to return. Give me my soulless, suburban sprawl any day over people on top of me, alongside me, in my space. Give me my useless extra rooms. I don't want to live in small four room residences any longer. I'm not some older person trying to be hip.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Kids in college.....live on Lake Travis. Drive "into town" (not necessarily downtown) 1-2 times a month, mostly for an event or entertainment. Driving 30 minutes doesn't faze me at all. I work in the Arboretum area.

Unlike Komeht, I relish space, privacy, control over my space and not sharing walls, nor hearing city noise. For the OP - I understand the workshop thing. I do that too.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Only for special events. I love where I live where we have trees and low traffic. I don't hang out in bars so 6th st, doesn't appeal to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM

390 posts, read 671,277 times
I live in Circle C and I'm probably downtown 2-3 times a week. I like to walk on the trail, so that drives some of it, I suppose. It takes me 10-15 minutes to get there.

I hardly ever go in the other direction out further south or west.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM

45 posts, read 77,740 times
I love having people around. I wouldn't want apartment living, but when we get into DC now I love just seeing people walking around. I love live music. I love to dance. I want to take my kids to festivals and parks and get out there and BE with people. It's not about being a hipster or hanging out in bars.

I feel like we'd have more options for compromise in maybe the West Lake Hills area (we aren't wealthy but I think we'll have a pretty decent house budget), but it doesn't seem like a do-able commute for my husband. He does like to go in early, though. Is there anywhere south/west of Lake Austin that wouldn't be an awful commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin