Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM

45 posts, read 77,566 times

Advertisements

I've had a few other threads here recently - our family may be moving to Austin this spring. Right now we live in Northern VA, about 30 miles outside DC. I am a city person at heart, and I feel like we live too far away now - so part of what I wanted in a move to Austin would be easier accessibility to downtown.

I was originally looking at areas like Rosedale, Hyde Park, Allandale, etc., but for a bunch of reasons that is lookiing less feasible - schools, commute to my husband's job (for which we would be moving). I'm being advised now to look in places like Great Hills (Austin, but zoned for Round Rock ISD) or Cedar Park.

I've given up on the dream of being able to walk to lots of places, but I hear that Austin proper has so much going on for families, and so much for adults to do, and I don't want to move all that way and then have it be just as much of a hassle to take advantage of those things as it is here. My husband and I are also both musicians (not trying to make a living at it, we have day jobs, but we do play out here) and I'd want access to that as well.

So tell me - if you live and/or work outside the central part of the city, do you mostly stay in the suburbs for your non-work activity, or do you get in there often? With kids? Without kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM

15,260 posts, read 35,537,960 times
When I was single, I often traveled into downtown; however, now married with children, not so much. I do go to see shows at the Long Center, Zach Scott Theater, or Bass Concert hall multiple times per year, as well as the Zilker Theater Productions show at Zilker. Also go to Zilker Park for canoeing/swimming/train with the wee ones a few times a year. All of these events are non-rush hour/work week events, though, so it takes me 20 minutes to get there from SW Austin.

We do walk to the grocery store and one of several restaurants, though, and biking can take you a lot of places quickly where I live (4+ parks, public pools, library, etc), and lots of good bike lanes. From your choices, I would definitely pick NW Hills, though, although it is probably noticeably pricier than CP or RR.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Northwest Hills looks nice and that's where I was looking, but I'm getting pressure from family members there not to consider AISD. Which seems a little silly to me, but I'm getting tired of arguing about it.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,389,831 times
I'd have to say I make at least one "recreational-purpose" trip to Central Austin every week, be it with or without the kids. Although, summer months, it's Lake Travis that is my main destination with the family. If it's just the two of us, we'll do dinner and a show downtown or meet up with some friends for some West 6th action. Sometimes, it's just to take the kids downtown, grab an ice cream, and people watch for a while. Then there's the 5-6 shows a year at the Moody we like to check out, a couple SXSW parties and at least one day of ACL Fest, 2-3 football games (or sometimes just the tailgates)

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,389,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
Northwest Hills looks nice and that's where I was looking, but I'm getting pressure from family members there not to consider AISD. Which seems a little silly to me, but I'm getting tired of arguing about it.
You're right - that's plain silly. IMO, Don't argue, it's your decision - not theirs. We looked there and were really seriousl about it, but the extra 15 minutes on the DW's commute combined with the deal we got in Brushy Creek tipped the scales that way.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,064,895 times
Moderator cut: personal attack The education options in NW Hills, either AISD with Doss/Hill-Murchinson-Anderson or a Westwood HS track in RRISD are EXCELLENT.

FWIW, I live central and pretty much never leave. I hear that 620 is a road but never drive on it! Once every few years I find myself at Lakeline Mall or that event center in Cedar Park. Maybe once a year I go to the Wildflower Center. Don't have a toll tag and I don't need one.

Last edited by Debsi; 11-15-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
I live in northern Pflugerville, near Round Rock, and I rarely go downtown except for work. I hardly go to central Austin either except to visit dear friends. I do not go to South Austin.

I have a huge shopping mall less than 1.5 mi away from where I live, a regular strip mall (with a grocery store) .5 mi away, Ikea is in RR, Outlets are in RR, there are pretty cool fairs and goings on in Pf, Hutto, GTown and RR, there are bodies of water in Pf and RR as well as extensive park systems... I guess I really don't need to spend the extra gas to go into town.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM

They did recommend Westwood-zoned areas. I have done a ton of research on my own and I think Doss/Murchison/Anderson would be fine, but I need to be better at standing up for myself.

EZPetersen - that's heartening! That's the kind of lifestyle I imagine having. Although, our family live in Brushy Creek, I think - so you don't find it tough to get downtown from there?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM

15,260 posts, read 35,537,960 times
Quote:
Doss/Murchison/Anderson
By almost anyone's standards, that is an excellent school 'chain', you would be hard pressed to really beat it by any meaningful amount. Not that the RR or CP schools are bad, but to write-off those schools solely because they are in AISD is a bit silly. Yes, there are some under performing schools in Austin, but that is life in a big city, and has no real effect on the particular schools you are in. Anderson HS does have and IB program, if you are into that, and AISD does allow you to also attend the Science Academy and I think there is now a Fine Arts academy officially at McCallum.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,635,268 times
We live in Leander and we hardly go into downtown Austin at all. Maybe once or twice a year with the kids to ride the train and go to Bob Bullock but that is about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin