Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 11,143 times

Advertisements

Quick apology- I did my online research- but it seems a little outdated... um East Austin.. not so cheap!
I have never been to Austin, but always hear great things! Transferring suddenly with my day job- (but I am a painter and live for art- hence bring on Austin!
That being said- 35, woman, single- now, no kids.
It's a decent enough job to move for- but I am not exactly killing it financially. I need to know where I should look for a place to live... Dream world- guest house/art studio.. Reality- don't want to sign a lease in the world's worst apartment complex because I had no idea! I saw these "Treehouse Apartments" online that were super cheap- but they only show the pool... again- clueless.
Do I need my super crappy car that I will have to ship because it will never make the drive?
Just anything you can tell me would be so great!
Neighborhoods, suggestions- just anything! Although I already almost rented a place just because it is close to Tacodeli! I hear good things!
Thank you soooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Well, where IS the day job? 'Might' not need the crappy car IF the commute is easy. That's the key...getting to work. Then, we can help you find something.

If the car is really crappy, sell it for what you can get and save on the shipping(Where are you now?) Plenty of crappy cars here in Austin if you decide you need one.

Give us some more particulars and folks will be happy to help.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Use the Advanced Search function at the top to focus in on things that are important to you in the wealth of previous posts.

Offhand, East Austin could be your kinda place. There are lots and lots of artists cooperatives and shared houses and so on. The big E.A.S.T. studio tour last weekend and next has 175 different studios registered.

But it's a word of mouth, boots on the ground environment. You'll never find out about it on Craig's list.

Get here, take a weekly rental somewhere and get out and talk to people if you want access to that community. Use the E.A.S.T. list for starter contacts. East Austin Studio Tour

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pari85016 View Post
Quick apology- I did my online research- but it seems a little outdated... um East Austin.. not so cheap!
I have never been to Austin, but always hear great things! Transferring suddenly with my day job- (but I am a painter and live for art- hence bring on Austin!
That being said- 35, woman, single- now, no kids.
It's a decent enough job to move for- but I am not exactly killing it financially. I need to know where I should look for a place to live... Dream world- guest house/art studio.. Reality- don't want to sign a lease in the world's worst apartment complex because I had no idea! I saw these "Treehouse Apartments" online that were super cheap- but they only show the pool... again- clueless.
Do I need my super crappy car that I will have to ship because it will never make the drive?
Just anything you can tell me would be so great!
Neighborhoods, suggestions- just anything! Although I already almost rented a place just because it is close to Tacodeli! I hear good things!
Thank you soooo much!
Tell us where you will be working and we can suggest good neighborhoods near that part of town.

If you want to get by without a car it will be important for you to live close to your work or carefully examine the bus routs near your work to see where you can live near that bus route. Bus transportation is not great in Austin but it can work if you plan it carefully. Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Austin has a lot of bike lanes and trails and is adding more, so that can be a good alternative for reasonable distances when it is not too hot or rainy.

I was not able to find any "treehouse Apartments" on google maps in Austin, the closest it showed was San Marcos, South of Austin. ??

https://www.padmapper.com/ and Trulia.com are good map based resource for finding apartments, it allows you to set filters for price and size.

Any of the locations near the Tacodeli's that I am aware of would be a decent place to live in Austin. The central location is a pretty walkable neighborhood. Welcome to Tacodeli - Home of the Frontera Fundido. Tacos, Tortas, Quesadillas, Wraps, Salads and Soup The apartments near the south location are pretty nice but other then Tacodeli there isn't much else you can walk to there other then a few office buildings and the Barton Creek Greenbelt which has some treat trails along the creek.

East Austin is attractive to many artists, but it also has some of the higher crime rates, it is gentrifying. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...me-austin.html

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Smile Thank you- and more particulars!

Wow- thank you so much for your replies! I have the most vague idea of that's happening with my relocation- which leads me to the many questions- and slight panic.
More details- I might be moving in about a month- but don't know. March at the latest. But it's because want to live in Austin that I am willing to wing it....
Alas, winging it is easier when you have a lot of cash! Hmmm nope. But the good news, I am re-locating- so I have a job! I know it's in South Austin! Yea! I am super thrilled because I am an artist- but got tired of starving totally!
In Phoenix, we use Craigslist as our most bohemian underground... it's all we have. So I kept finding super expensive high rises in East Austin.. umm nope. Just on all levels- no pun intended. I just want a little place with nice neighbors and not to be killed in my sleep. (Not a real fear- but just kind of safe-ish.)
I do have a sketchy 89 Jeep Laredo... (the paintings fit into it) but shipping is like $600...
Oh and my company only pays the gas for relocation sooooo...
I need a bit of a plan. I realize you sell mattresses and dishes in Texas....
Should I stay in a Residence Inn and look after I get there for a place?
And thank you for looking up my weirdo Treehouse apartments- they were listed on Craigslist.... pool was cute. lol Is that a bad source for rentals in your town??
A million thanks!!!!
I really need help and you all seem very nice!!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Oh, and I think it was the Tacodeli by Barton Creek... and just thank you so much for even looking for that. And the stupid Treehouses! (Unless they were actually treehouses... affordable!! )

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Thank you! I am new to this- so I am so sorry! I will look at the threads. I'm just under a crunch to make a quick decision- but I really appreciate your "boots to the ground advice". I think that's just so true. Now I need some boots....
Thanks a lot!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Thank you so much for your help!
I don't know where in South Austin.. but somewhere... it's a new restaurant opening and I am the manager.. it's good though! Fresh, healthy....I will buy you many meals if you help me! Plus you already made me feel better!
Here is the deal.. it's either in like a month or by March at latest... but it's fast for me!
Here are my questions...
1. Should I wait until I get there to look for a place?? Ya'll have Residence Inns?? lol
2. Would you ship a car for $600?? Just a personal question... it's kinda crappy, but I may need it.
3. It's the new place and deposit and moving and car deal that worries me..... it's kind of expensive... on short notice.. and my company only pays for gas to relocate!
I know- I know!
You can answer part or all or obviously none of my questions! Thank you! Thank you!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
I don't know where in South Austin.. but somewhere... it's a new restaurant opening and I am the manager.. it's good though! Fresh, healthy....I will buy you many meals if you help me! Plus you already made me feel better!
Here is the deal.. it's either in like a month or by March at latest... but it's fast for me!
Here are my questions...
1. Should I wait until I get there to look for a place?? Ya'll have Residence Inns?? lol
2. Would you ship a car for $600?? Just a personal question... it's kinda crappy, but I may need it.
3. It's the new place and deposit and moving and car deal that worries me..... it's kind of expensive... on short notice.. and my company only pays for gas to relocate!
I know- I know!
You can answer part or all or obviously none of my questions! Thank you! Thank you!
You definitely need a car here. Our public transportation is lacking. If you are not going to come on a house hunting trip, I'd plan to do an extenda stay when you first get here. But here's the deal. If you come in March, you may end up having date conflicts with SXSW which is a two week festival where hotel prices (including the extenda stays) jack up their prices to up to triple what they typically charge so that may not be the best plan.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Quote:
Here are my questions...
I know- I know!
The extended stay route isn't a horrible idea, but will burn some dollars and can get really old, really fast.

I wouldn't ship that car - sell it and find a comparable ride that you wouldn't have to pay $600 to ship and another $90 to register. Tell your company that the IRS requires them to at least pay mileage and go from there. Between that, the money saved from not shipping the car and the money from selling the car and you'll have a deposit and rent already.

Also, Craigslist is totally, completely, utterly, worthless in Austin. Try that padmapper, austinhomesearch.com or call a bunch of locator services (they're free for you - the apartment pays them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: