Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 96,105 times

Advertisements

Hey Ya'll. I just moved to Austin a month ago and I need some advice/help on getting Texas plates. I have two vehicles with California titles and registrations and ready to get the California plates removed. Where or who should I go see first. Does my vehicle need to pass emission test? How much does the safety inspection cost? Where do I go? HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM

99 posts, read 421,721 times
Here's a link to Texas DOT:

Vehicle Titles and Registration Division

HTH

Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
My wife and I just went through this...there are some hoops to jump through. First you have to get your car inspected. This is not an emissions test, but a general vehicle safety check. We had to replace the license plate bulb and housing kit, before they passed us. Then, you go to a separate place to get your registration and tags, then off to another location to get your driver's license which you won't get for 7-10 days. In the meantime, you'll get a document that serves as your temporary license.

All told, we paid almost $200 for both of our licenses and one car

But everyone was very helpful along the way, unlike the bitter apples at my home state's BMV

Here's where to get the info:

TEXAS - DMV.ORG - The Unofficial Guide to the DMV

Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclAustin View Post
Here's a link to Texas DOT:

Vehicle Titles and Registration Division

HTH

Yea this is the better link. Sorry i put the wrong one up

Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
I would highly recommend not going to get your driver's license if you have some traveling to do in the near future, unless you have a passport. Once you get your Texas license, they take your out of state license, and the temp they give you is just a piece of paper. That leaves you with no picture ID unless you have a passport or Sam's Club membership!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,329 times
Also, I might add that they DO emissions tests, depending what county you reside in. Some is only a car inspection, but others do both, like Travis and Williamson.
Make sure you have the documents they require when you go to get your license, as the lines are usually long and you don't want to be turned away and have to come back another day.
This is where we got all the information about places for testing, drivers license, etc. Texas DMV Guide for New Residents - DMV.ORG

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

27 posts, read 173,485 times
Just go to any approved station and get the cars inspected first. I went to Broaddus Chevron on Bee Cave road.
Check out this place:
Welcome to Auto Title Services of Oak Hill, they are near the Oak Hill "Y".
No lines, no filling out docs. You write a check, sign the form, and they give you the plates on the spot and that's it. They only charge about $16 per car and it's worth it. Make sure to bring the CA titles (not the registration slips) and proof of Texas insurance with you. In my case the whole thing took about 10 minutes for two cars.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 173,485 times
I forgot to add this in my previous post:
Once you have the temporary car papers (the actual titles come in the mail), go to the Department of Public Safety on 1500 North Congress Avenue, right behind the capitol building.
Don't go to the other locations! This is a new location that used to be reserved for public employees but now it's open to the public. Few people know about it, so there are no lines. They don't have an appointment system like the CA DMV here. Anyway, We just walked up to the counter (we thought we were in the wrong place) and got our licenses without waiting in line at all.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM

118 posts, read 561,579 times
Ok, I hope this isn't too OT, but I have a story about getting my TX drivers license. When we moved here last year, my bf and I went together one day to get our inspections, etc. for both our vehicles all in one day. We got the inspections and registration fairly quickly, no problems.

Our last stop was to get our drivers licenses. We live in Georgetown, so the place to do that is also the police station, or state troopers building, or whatever. The place is full of cops, at any rate. Ok, so it's my turn at the counter to hand over my paperwork. The man helping me is in a uniform, a very friendly guy, but still sort of intimidating.

While he's checking my paperwork, a woman comes out from the back of the building, and asks loudly and in a very stern voice, "Who here has a Mustang outside with California plates?!!?" Of course, that would be ME, and I start to panic and wonder what sort of snafu has me with an outstanding warrant or something. Or do they just want to hang and quarter me because I'm one of those horrible Californians??

I admit that it's me with the CA car and she says I need to go outside RIGHT NOW. I look at my bf who's still waiting in line and wonder if they're going to cuff me and haul me off right in front of him. Will they at least give him a ride home if they arrest me and impound my car?

So... I get outside and it seems that a woman who was coming back from taking her driving test has hit my car in the parking lot! No damage done, she just ran into my bumper. Boy, she was embarrassed though, and I'm pretty sure she did NOT pass her driving test!

So the cop who had been processing my application at the counter comes out to make a report. He was a super cool guy, and let me cut back to the front of the line for my DL when we went back in. He really liked my car, and told me he used to drive one much like it back when he was on patrol. He even gave the decklid a little caress!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 106,593 times
one small note to add. the very first step, even before you go to get your inspection, you must have a valid texas insurance policy for your vehicle. usually not a prob, just have your policy changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin