Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm planning a trip to move to the Austin area with my boyfriend and wanted to know a few questions in hopes you guys and gals could help these NJ boys out.
First we are looking at a bunch of towns, Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander etc. This is what we are in need to know:

1. Which is the best town to live in and has an easy commute to Austin?
2. Which towns are gay friendly
3. I've noticed homes ranging from $150 - without a built in pool and $350 with one.
I would love to consider some of these beautiful new homes being built and add the pool afterwards myself but don't know how much the pricing could be. Now I know this is open ended question b/c you don't know the design and how big, but I have in NJ a kidney shaped built in 30 x 70. That size or smaller will do fine with a spa attached would be nice. Can anybody tell me how much a pool could range from....not looking for the exact price, a range would be nice. Here in NJ we would pay anywhere from $80k -over $100k just for the pool.
4. Which area's are flat and dry and which are hilly and trees? Heard the dryness could burn down a town...is that true?
5. When homes out there share a HOA are the fees large? How much does a typical HOA charge and what do they include in the fee? Does Landscaping include?
6. Can these fees be increased without a cap?
7. Are HOA's restricting of what you want to do?

Thank you all who answer me. Were planning to come out in the begginning of November to see the areas. Anyone know of a good hotel in the Austin area?
Austin area has so many beautiful homes and would greatly appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
I'll tackle the second question for you. You might find some neighborhoods in Cedar Park, Leander, and Round Rock that are somewhat Gay friendly, but I would say on the whole, you would probably encounter problems. Williamson County has a much larger conservative base than Austin proper.

I think you would feel most comfortable in South Austin as it is generally the most liberal and accepting area as a whole, but would be fine in just about any areas of Austin proper.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Wilco (Williamson County) is a very, very conservative county. Nothing against Wilco, as I have family there.

South Austin is more liberal but we are still conservative in a number of ways.

Where are you working? If your living in Round Rock or Cedar Park and commuting downtown, well good luck. That can be a long drive.

I can't give you any guidance on a pool. I can tell you we have Barton Springs and Hamilton Pool and they are cheaper, bigger and a lot of fun.

Most of Austin has hills and is green. I live right on the edge of town that transitions from the hills and the topography begins to change to coastal plains.

Summers are hot and humid. I like the summers though because its good to break a sweat and enjoy a summer breeze.

Some communities have HOAs and others do not. If your buying you need a good realtor. I can recommend a couple to you if you message me.

In my neighborhood we have restrictive covenants that limit what you can do on the property.

It would be best if you visit first before committing to the move. Right now we are experiencing Chamber of Commerce weather. June-September is hot and humid.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
You might find some neighborhoods in Cedar Park, Leander, and Round Rock that are somewhat Gay friendly, but I would say on the whole, you would probably encounter problems. Williamson County has a much larger conservative base than Austin proper.
Can we stop pertpetuating this stereotype?

I know of two gay families that live in my neighborhood. They don't have any problems. (ETA - I just thought of a third!)

This isn't rural America. You likely won't have any problems in ANY of the communities you mentioned... nor in South Austin.

I am not conservative in mindset, religion or politics and I haven't had a single problem in Williamson county. More to the point, all the people on THIS forum whom have shown they are intolerant on certain topics... have actually been from (wait for it....) SOUTH AUSTIN! Kinda makes you think...

You may very well be more happy in South Austin, for several reasons - but please don't discount any of the other areas you mentioned because of the "It's only good if it's in South Austin" attitude that you will find littered through out these forums.

1. Which is the best town to live in and has an easy commute to Austin?

- Depends on what you consider "Easy". Where will you or your boyfriend be working? What do you like to do and have close access to on a regular basis? What is your price range? Are you defintely buying or renting?

3. I've noticed homes ranging from $150 - without a built in pool and $350 with one.
I would love to consider some of these beautiful new homes being built and add the pool afterwards myself but don't know how much the pricing could be. Now I know this is open ended question b/c you don't know the design and how big, but I have in NJ a kidney shaped built in 30 x 70. That size or smaller will do fine with a spa attached would be nice. Can anybody tell me how much a pool could range from....not looking for the exact price, a range would be nice. Here in NJ we would pay anywhere from $80k -over $100k just for the pool.

Small pools will probably start @ $60k and go up drastically. You have a lot of limestone here in the ground that is the issue for pool installation. We have a small built in fiberglass pool - our home was built in 2000 and was listed at $219k.

4. Which area's are flat and dry and which are hilly and trees? Heard the dryness could burn down a town...is that true?

Everyone is going to tell you "Stay to the west". Yes, the west has more hills and trees. However, (and I am from the Seattle area - town of the trees!) I don't consider the east side flat and dry. It's just more ranch land - so there are LESS trees... but that doesn't mean it's like Kansas - which is truly FLAT and treeless!

5. When homes out there share a HOA are the fees large? How much does a typical HOA charge and what do they include in the fee? Does Landscaping include?

We pay about $40 a month/$135 a quarter for our HOA. No, it doesn't include our personal yard landscaping - but if you were in a condo it would.

6. Can these fees be increased without a cap?

You agree to the CC&R's which generally state something about not having more than XX amount in assessments. It will vary from community to community.

7. Are HOA's restricting of what you want to do?

Depends on the HOA. Some are very restrictive, some are less so. Older developments seem to have less active HOA's and thus, are less restrictive to your home. Newer developments are more concerned with "preserving" the "look" of the neighborhood - so are more restrictive. Personally, my opinion is to find a community somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by jwb123; 10-12-2007 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Any towns in South Austin that would be recommended?

Were still in NJ and coming down 1st weekend in November to check things out. We are meeting with a realtor as well. Is the South section of Austin bad as far as living goes? I heard it could be ghetto as we call it in the north or is that just a rumor?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Wilco (Williamson County) is a very, very conservative county.
Really?

Very, very?

In what way? Voting?

Or in general life? If you mean, in general, everyday life... I am sorry, family there or not, but that's simply NOT true - and I am sure the vast majority of the people on this forum would agree.

Maybe people in this county VOTE more conservative - but that's likely ALL.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Wilco is conservative. Maybe "way, way" is an exaggeration and was too broad of a response to all who live in Williamson County. I was only attempting to convey a known fact that Williamson County is more conservative than Travis County. And to clarify my response even further, my family and there neighbors are fairly conservative.

No offense was intended and apologies are extended if you were offended.

To the original poster: South Austin is not a slum. We have some neighborhoods in Austin that are rougher than others, and I've worked and lived in cities with really tough neighborhoods. Plus I don't know how you define a slum.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Thank you your knowledge to someone from the north who knows nothing is priceless. My boyfriend and I really don't know where to go for the jobs, so far we've just been researching online through Monster, Hotjobs etc. I've got one more or so year left to be a teacher (special ed) and he is in sales, custom clothing and car sales background. So I guess where the jobs we will go but know for 100% we would like to be in a 30 mile radius from the main city of Austin. Were looking for something primarily new, 4 bedrooms 3 baths etc, with enough property in the back to add a deck and pool with the dogs still having enough room to run a little bit and have their area. We want to stay no more then $280k. We have also been researching all the posts on this website for the past few days and been taking into consideration what everyone is saying about the communities (gay friendly or not), dryness, commuting, snakes; spiders; scorpions and fire ants and what not. Coming from the north I have to say although were pretty str8 forward and acting, I think we would both be freaked a while if we encountered these critters on a daily basis and not being able to enjoy our yard or even being afraid to walk barefoot or lay around the house as we do now. We are basically just looking for some place to call home, have a newer home to accomodate our guests and my mother who may be living with us so if it comes with a seperate guest quarters or in law suite that would be great too. Want to enjoy the country like living but be close enough to the city to bounce in and out when we want for dinner or going out and not have to worry about a long drive or the cops always harrassing you. We would love to be in Austin itself if we could find a reasonable place. We were only looking outside of Austin as the homes are a little cheaper. Still confused on the area to live or look at. Were going to meet with a realtor when we come out. Any ideas oni hotels in Austin. Again I truly appreciate your input! And by the way Jenbar, was your pool custom all the way out of the ordinary. I saw on realtor .com a home listed with a pool and they made a point to express a built in pool for $40k so we thought that could have been alot for them and were kinda hoping it was cheaper then here. Maybe we'll have to settle for the community pool I guess.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:36 PM

My neighbors here *may* be conservative, in their own homes, and with their own way of life and thinking - but my point is, what they do in their own home, how they vote and think - is totally up to them. They don't push it down my throat, and I don't push it down their throat that I won't be voting conservative. Honestly, I just don't think the vast majority really CARES - anywhere around Austin, including us suburbanites!

I think it goes without saying that City limits - city limits of ANY metro area - is going to be less conservative than it's outlaying suburbs... but to classify it as Travis = liberal and Williamson = conservative, is an untrue generalization and blanket statement.

In all honestly, I can WALK to the Travis county line... and suburbs like Pflugerville are in Travis county...

Thanks for your clarification - I wasn't necessarily offended - but felt the need to put my own comments out there too. I think it's unfair that when people ask questions such as this, the South Austin people (and west of 35 people) are so quick to state such opinions as fact.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM

I'd define slum as run down homes, people not taking care of their properties and not being able to sell for what you paid for or me. I'd like a home to appreciate in value and not depreciate. I want to feel safe in my home and not have to worry about my car or home being broken into or shady neighbors like in some bad areas in the north. My nieces come over frequently and don't want to feel like my house isn't a home.
Any recommendations on neighborhoods, cities that meet my criteria that i can start looking in? Sorry to ask alot of questions but i'm very curious and know nothing except what I read here and have been researching. Its good to hear from actual residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin