Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not exactly a nook and cranny hole in the wall; but apparently there IS some authentic Mexican food available(with a twist, I reckon)...

From the ABJ:

"“We didn’t experience the peaks that we have during South By Southwest but business was really good and there were some intangibles,” said Jesse Herman, owner of La Condesa in downtown Austin.
By that, Herman said the event attracted celebrities and wealthy individuals, especially from Europe and Latin America. In particular, the contemporary Mexican cuisine appealed to Mexicans who came to see the race from Mexico City and Monterrey. Having a bilingual staff helped, as well"
Yeah....I read that. I haven't been there yet.

BUT........NOT my point. Maybe I need to post under a different title? I could not care less about anyone's "spin" or actual "take" on Mexican food.

Geez.............I grew up with Mexican food.............AND I grew up with Tex Mex...........why can't I find my to-die-for Tex Mex in the Capital of Tex Mex?

Ah............that's right............I'm in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Several years ago, I remember "lamenting" to a fellow Native Texan that even the "bad" Mexican Restaurants (in Texas) were good.....at that time, we were living in a "harsh environment" called the Midwest.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Migol! I know Taqueria Arandas in Houston Nothing is better than the hole in the wall Mexican places.
The holier the wall, the better the food.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Ok, I'm still pretty new here, and I'm wondering what are some good places for real authentic mexican food? I'm not talking americanized crap, I want somewhere I can get an amazing order of lengua (a personal favorite) and other more authentic dishes ....
How do you define "real authentic Mexican food?"

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Several years ago, I remember "lamenting" to a fellow Native Texan that even the "bad" Mexican Restaurants (in Texas) were good.....at that time, we were living in a "harsh environment" called the Midwest.
I lived in KC for 18 months and looked for good Mexican food the whole time.... never found any.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Ok, I'm still pretty new here, and I'm wondering what are some good places for real authentic mexican food? I'm not talking americanized crap, I want somewhere I can get an amazing order of lengua (a personal favorite) and other more authentic dishes ....
OK, here are some of my favs;

Santa Caterina in Lakeway for their Cochinita Pibil and Rellenos En Nogada.

Sazon on South Lamar for their Rellenos De Jaiba and Cochinita Pibil.

Gueros on South Congress for their cool atmosphere, wonderful margaritas and Tacos al Pastor.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Curras on East Oltorf for their cool atmosphere, wonderful margaritas and tasty everything!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Joe's Bakery & Mexican Food - Mexican Food - Austin, TX - Breakfast - Bakery

Quote:
Joe's Bakery is a family owned and operated Mexican food restaurant business serving Austin, Texas for 50 years. Breakfast is served all day with amazing Mexican food options from breakfast tacos, breakfast plates, menudo, and caldo. Lunch begins at 11:00, with a daily lunch special Tuesday-Friday. Along with some of the best Tex-Mex food in Austin, Joe's Bakery has a wide selection of pan dulce to choose from. Joes Bakery celebrates the tradition of the Mexican American culture from the food to the music.

2305 East Seventh Street, Austin

Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
OK, here are some of my favs;

Santa Caterina in Lakeway for their Cochinita Pibil and Rellenos En Nogada.

Sazon on South Lamar for their Rellenos De Jaiba and Cochinita Pibil.

Gueros on South Congress for their cool atmosphere, wonderful margaritas and Tacos al Pastor.
Gueros?? Really.......and, "...their cool atmosphere(?)..." It is a tourist trap now, major hit and miss, and just so lacking compared to real, decent Tex Mex in other cities.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Can we get off the "cool" thing? Been there in my 20s.

Just looking for some good Tex Mex.......which I grew up with without anybody from CA putting their mix into it!

It SHOULD be available......here in the Capital of TX............right? But, I'm not finding it. NOT "authentic" Mexican, NOT "coastal" Mexican, NOT "interior" Mexican..........yeah, I've had all that....in Mexico.......and here.

Where's the Tex / Mex? The enchiladas to die for, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin