Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Austin race a hit???
Yes! It was a hit! 60 89.55%
It was just ok. 1 1.49%
No, it absolutely stunk! 5 7.46%
Other (please explain) 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times

Advertisements

So far, I have seen rave reviews. Looks like Austin hit it out of the ballpark and when the world was watching too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
It was a BIG hit for Austin.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM

160 posts, read 365,559 times
Probably the best run major sporting event I have attended. I took the light rail down to the downtown shuttle system which then took us seamlessly to the track. FLAWLESS. The track design was great (loved the Miro Rivera designed tower) and the atmosphere truly special. I will be buying a 3 day pass every year they hold it here... and I was not a race fan before this weekend.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
I notice that there are two little stinkers voting in this poll. I had a feeling that some other people would try and come poop on us so I made it so you could see who voted for what. SAguy and some guy from San Jose thought it stunk.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM

282 posts, read 471,952 times
I'm happy for you, Austin!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
It was a huge hit!!! People were enjoying themselves greatly and downtown was absolutely buzzing for the Fan Fest (which was fantastic!). This was a great thing for Austin! I noticed that a lot of locals went downtown for the festival.

The only thing is that I wished Soco would've been promoted more. I feel it captures the Austin vibe better than downtown and would've been a great place for more of the fans to hang out at.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
In a word? Yes. I was there and saw people from all types of backgrounds, countries, etc., and they were all going nuts the entire time. Hearing several comments like "one of the best races I've seen in the past 5 years", "I'm definitely coming back next year", "this is definitely one of the most beautiful tracks I've seen in a long, long time" and other surprising comments, I'd say they hit it out the park!
All of those comments mean completely nothing to me because I'm totally aloof when it comes to these track races. But I guess if they were happy, then I guess its a good thing.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I went to the Fan Fest with my family today and the entire experience was among the most pleasant I have had at any festivals. We took the Metrorail downtown, walked 4 blocks west on 4th St. and were able to do many fun and free things. We did 3 simulators, and we enjoyed the free dorritos, pepsi, and espresso.

The crowd was not the "Drunk Ibiza dancing Eurotrash" that many had thought. Instead it was a mix of sophisticated Mexicans from Mexico City with their families and upper class middle aged Europeans with a sense of style and sensibility. I would have to say the crowd was very low key, almost boring, but that's perfect for family activities.

What's with all the free food and drinks? Hey I'll take it but you'd think they'd be gouging those rich tourists, instead they are giving away free food? Oh well, I'll take it...

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
If they tried this project in Cali. or many other states...they would still be on the drawing boards...fighting numerous gument agencies.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I think that Austin's penchant for embracing "weirdness", along with good crowd management skills from ACL and SxSW have made us a natural host for F1. We aren't NASCAR country here, that's too mainstream American and we don't do anything mainstream. We are a medium sized city but we have alpha sized city ambitions. We desire to keep our culture but expose the world to it. We want to introduce the world to Texas Barbeque and steaks. We want the world to experience our hospitality and live music.

That's why F1 succeeded in Austin. F1 fits in Austin because, just like everything else in this city, the things that don't make sense are the things that are embraced.

Face it, we knew nothing about F1 prior to the racetrack being built. All we knew was that it sounded "cool" and we would love international exposure. Fast forward from that day to two years forward and we all embrace this foreign thing called F1. We plan for an event that we've never experienced by basing what it might be like on another festival that crowds our city, SxSW. We invoke the same crowd control measures. We make sure adequate public transportation is available to the racetrack. We built an amazing racetrack. Then we host an amazing race in perfect weather.

The other comments are right. This would never be able to occur anywhere else in the US except Austin. The cities that have the fortitude to build racetracks already have NASCAR tracks and the other cities have too much red tape.

If F1 is to succeed in the US, it will have to succeed in Austin. Today was an important first step and I believe next year will even be better.

I am truly proud of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin