Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times

Advertisements

WTF is he smoking? Does DeLoss Dodds have any idea what kind of logistics go into F1 and the demands of scheduling world wide events?

DeLoss Dodds has made some amazingly boneheaded decisions lately perhaps he's starting to lose his grip on reality.

UT football, F1 on collision course in 2013 | www.statesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
It isn't like he gets to pick the weekends there are home and away games - the league has requirements for home/away schedules and they are already 'blacking out' two weekends for ACL Fest. You can't just say 'eh, we will play all our games on the road'. You have 9 other schedules to coordinate with, possible more with out of conference play. I think someone else maybe losing a grip on reality .

And although the article talks about how many people come in and book rooms for the game, that may be a bit exaggerated - many, many attendees at the football game are local and/or students, and may more drive in and out the same day (they mention trying to get a day game scheduled, as opposed to night, which would allow more of this). We have friends that come in every year to watch at least one game, and they stay with us.... Now, since there was talk of how the hotels did not fill up anyway (and someone couldn't even rent their house!), I am not sure it is the catastrophe that some make it out to be.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It isn't like he gets to pick the weekends there are home and away games - the league has requirements for home/away schedules and they are already 'blacking out' two weekends for ACL Fest. You can't just say 'eh, we will play all our games on the road'. You have 9 other schedules to coordinate with, possible more with out of conference play. I think someone else maybe losing a grip on reality .

And although the article talks about how many people come in and book rooms for the game, that may be a bit exaggerated - many, many attendees at the football game are local and/or students, and may more drive in and out the same day (they mention trying to get a day game scheduled, as opposed to night, which would allow more of this). We have friends that come in every year to watch at least one game, and they stay with us.... Now, since there was talk of how the hotels did not fill up anyway (and someone couldn't even rent their house!), I am not sure it is the catastrophe that some make it out to be.
The idea that DeLoss Dodds has no control over the schedule is ludicrous. He made the schedule assuming F1 was tentative and would just move. Guess what, that ain't going to happen.

The idea that hotel rooms were available is a completely overblown myth based on one extremely inaccurate news report. I can assure you that what very very few hotel rooms available anywhere close to proximity of the University or Downtown (due to cancellations) were going for well in excess of 700 dollars a night. I know one guy who was offering 5000 (or 10k, whatever) for one night and could not find a hotel room downtown.

Perhaps he didn't note the tens of thousands of people catching shuttles from right in the heart of the tail gate areas. Guess those can be moved easily...

Texas fans, OSU fans, and hell, the OSU team and the city of Austin will all be better off by finding a different date for this.

Oh, and BTW, F1 is under no obligation to come back after 2013. If important city institutions play hardball and make logistics and planning more difficult for no reason whatsoever F1 has plenty of other options.

Last edited by Komeht; 11-21-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
You are assuming in your OP that Dodds is the one who set up the conference schedule.

It doesn't say that in your link.

As far as the parking garage situation, there are other venues to run the F1 shuttles from - Barton Creek, Highland, and Lakeline Malls for example. Plus Burger Center & Nelson Field.

About the only problem would be the hotel room capacity, but something tells me that the OSU traveling fanbase won't exactly overwhelm the city.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Oh, and BTW, F1 is under no obligation to come back after 2013. If important city institutions play hardball and make logistics and planning more difficult for no reason whatsoever F1 has plenty of other options.
Plenty of other options? Please, enlighten us. You mean go back to all the venues judged failures? Or is someplace else going to build a brand new "top 3 in the world track?"

I think F1 and/or UT just need to look at this and try to shift one of the events. I just think having both at the same time hurts both. I bet a thousand+ F1 attendees are UT season ticket holders. Games get moved because of weather. Our F1 date was originally earlier in the year and they moved it to the fall. Something's gotta give.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You are assuming in your OP that Dodds is the one who set up the conference schedule.

It doesn't say that in your link.

As far as the parking garage situation, there are other venues to run the F1 shuttles from - Barton Creek, Highland, and Lakeline Malls for example. Plus Burger Center & Nelson Field.

About the only problem would be the hotel room capacity, but something tells me that the OSU traveling fanbase won't exactly overwhelm the city.
Which one of burger center, lake line mall, Barton creek mall, highland mall, Nelson field are within walking distance of the downtown hotels everyone is staying at?

Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Plenty of other options? Please, enlighten us. You mean go back to all the venues judged failures? Or is someplace else going to build a brand new "top 3 in the world track?"

I think F1 and/or UT just need to look at this and try to shift one of the events. I just think having both at the same time hurts both. I bet a thousand+ F1 attendees are UT season ticket holders. Games get moved because of weather. Our F1 date was originally earlier in the year and they moved it to the fall. Something's gotta give.
I agree.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Which one of burger center, lake line mall, Barton creek mall, highland mall, Nelson field are within walking distance of the downtown hotels everyone is staying at?
Not a problem at all...

The Austin Yellow Bike Project

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
They're also staying at all the other hotels in the area, many of which are close to each of those areas.

I think the F1 largess was sprinkled around pretty well. Even hole-in-the wall East Austin eateries were busy. By all reports The Domain was slammed by F1 business. They only place I've heard boo-hoos from were the small bars on Raimey and E 6th that geared up for a big weekend and didn't get it, because the locals stayed home and the visitors were looking for the more glittery delights.

I predict that next year the locals won't stay home, and that the F1 Fun Fest downtown will be monster.

Also, I think the forecast is for another 1,000 hotel rooms to be online in the area before next year's race.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM

160 posts, read 365,559 times
There is no way that these two events will happen at the same time. A pretty easy solution would be to just switch the Brazil and Austin F1 dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin