Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM

109 posts, read 161,659 times

Advertisements

The summer is usually humid enough and/or I'm hot and thirsty. Winter comes along and I simply can't get enough fluids in me. Then I get cedar fever, which turns into bronchitis and a horrible sore throat.

We've tried a humidifier, but our house is too porous (uninsulated 1917 bungalow). Cold/allergy medicines help with the cedar and the after-effects, but I find most of them to be drying.

I'm drinking Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea with honey right now, and it's helping a lot. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Use a Neti-Pot with a 1% hypertonic saline (saltwater) solution to irrigate your sinuses several times a day. Use a 3% solution to reduce congestion. It helps a lot.

Recipe here from my allergy doctor Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM

109 posts, read 161,659 times
Never in a million years would I have thought I would be using a neti pot. But I think the time has come -
thanks for reminding me about those!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
Never in a million years would I have thought I would be using a neti pot. But I think the time has come -
thanks for reminding me about those!
You can get an inexpensive one at Walgreens, it comes with several premixed salt/soda packets. But I usually mix my own using distilled water, canning salt and baking soda as per the instructions above. I keep a quart of the 1% and another quart of the 3% in plastic bottles in the bathroom so it is convenient to use.

Neti pots are mentioned in the Vedas, dating back to 1500 BC and practiced by the Yogi's. There is a reason their use has remained popular and is growing, they are effective. That is about as close to Ninja as you can get I think.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-25-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
... Then I get cedar fever, which turns into bronchitis and a horrible sore throat.
Sounds like you have allergies. You really should see an allergy doctor and get shots for the cedar fever, I have it to and the shots have helped a lot. If you avoid becoming congested you can avoid the sinus infections, the sore throat is usually from sinus drainage due to allergies. You can reduce both with prescription nasal sprays. The shots have not completely eliminated my allergies but they have made them manageable. I never get sinus infections anymore.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
^^That. My wife has to stay on top of her allergies or else she gets sinus infections. Sometimes OTC medications will help, sometimes they won't. Shots generally take a while to become fully effective (like, a year or two, really), but then can last for some years after stopping (or spacing out) the shot schedule.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
I agree with the concept, yes, sinus rinsing can be a big help with airborne allergies, but to me neti pots are a thing of the past now that modern nasal wash bottles have been designed that improve the experience.

I got mine at a natural health store. I like that I don't have to go into contortions to use it, that it's seethrough and unbreakable, that the soft silicon tip seals well against my nostril, and that it just seems to work better, as well as being much better for traveling.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Oh, yeah, I think neti pot is almost like saying kleenex now, though - a brand has overtaken the product. Wife uses a bottle, too, not an actual neti pot.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Yes I use "neti-pot" as a generic term these days. On days when my sinus sprays are not enough I take 1/2 of a Claritin-D tablet and that pretty much takes care of it.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 AM

43 posts, read 79,382 times
They said the cedar last season (roughly Dec to Feb) was the worst in 16 years. I finally couldn't take it and went here for allergy testing http://www.texanallergy.com/ because I knew I could get the drops (here's their video on those http://www.texanallergy.com/allergy-drops). After finding out that I was allergic to EVERYTHING THEY TESTED (except dogs thank God) they started me on some meds because the drops can take months to work. I've been taking generic Singulair and using Nasacort (which is over the counter). Both of those took a while to get going but I've been much better and have been taking the drops for about 5 months. Since I generally try to avoid drugs I hope the results are more from the drops than the drugs. That said these drugs don't seem to be producing any side effects (however Singulair maybe (?) does not seem to be a good choice for those under 20 or so because of possible emotional effects -- Google for info). Hoping to gradually scale back the drugs (have cut back on the Nasacort). Of course the pollens are always changing so the experiment is not a good one in terms of clear conclusions as to what's doing what. As you can imagine I'm glad just to be feeling better. Almost no congestion, no asthma, maybe one or two sneezing fits a day but really I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I guess I won't really know until we hit cedar season again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin