Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
NO city is the city it used to be. The US population is growing very quickly, and the cities will have to be crowded. No choice. City governments want their part of that growing tax base. It is the way it is. People who can't adapt to the change need to move to small towns or into the country where the rate of change will be slower. If people want to actually deal with this, we need to deal with the population explosion generally. So far, I see NO real movement nationally to look at that.
I think you must be under the illusion that Texas population growth is any way representative of most of the US. It is not. Many states have seen a much lower population growth rate in percentage terms over time.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Kohmeht, I don't know about you, but I used to go downtown after dark in the past - and I'm 5'2" and female. I don't go downtown at all now if I can possibly help it beyond going to Savory Spice two or three times a year. Even Whole Foods has managed to drive me away.

And what, I might ask, is wrong with being a "backwater" (though I never considered it one) with personality rather than just like every other big city out there? If you love big cities so much, why on earth didn't you just move to one?

Perhaps we should get one thing defined first, though - what, to you, is "back in the day"?
Uh, it wasn't dangerous - it was dead. Nothing going on. You could hit golf balls down congress avenue on a friday night without hitting cars.

You don't like stuff - I get that. But most people like stuff. Stuff to do, stuff to see, stuff to eat, stuff to drink. That's why Austin downtown now is hopping now (even though you don't go there anymore). 25 years ago there were a handful of disgruntled aging hippies living out the last years of their youth before they turned to the suburbs. Aging hippies and bums, Austin has always had a healthy population old hippies of downtown bums.

Oh, and the early urban pioneers who have brought the city back from the brink. That group of heros was just getting their start.

What's wrong with being a backwater? it sucks to live in one. Much rather be in the center of attention. Backwaters are fine for vacations when you want to get away from it all.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I didn't go downtown to hit golf balls down Congress Avenue. I went to restaurants, bars, etc. From about 1968 on. But I wasn't restricted to downtown for entertainment, either. Maybe I was more interested in seeking out the numerous things to do (my problem was deciding between competing ones rather than not having enough). It certainly didn't "suck" to live here; if it had, all those people wouldn't have wanted to move here, after all, because they heard how great it was to live here.

As far as "hopping", that's not the word I would use to describe downtown based on the few times I've had to go down there lately. Overcrowded, annoying, difficult to get around, difficult to park, I don't even go to Town Lake or Zilker any more because of the crowds. That's not progress.

But I do get it now - you want to be the center of attention, and you think the way to do that is to be just like bigger cities that anyone can find anywhere.

Again, what does "back in the day" mean to you and just how old were you when you got your memories of Armadillo World Headquarters?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM

We lost a few aging hippies (frankly, Austin smells a little better for it) and gained a huge thriving populace of urbanites filling all those local businesses with paying customers.

Seems like a good trade to me.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
So, who's good enough to live in Austin anymore? According to this thread, not the middle-aged, not the lower economic group (by areas mentioned as hell holes, nightmares). The new urbanites...younger, prettier, with lots of cash?

Last edited by capcat; 03-29-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As far as "hopping", that's not the word I would use to describe downtown based on the few times I've had to go down there lately. Overcrowded, annoying, difficult to get around, difficult to park, I don't even go to Town Lake or Zilker any more because of the crowds. That's not progress ...Again, what does "back in the day" mean to you and just how old were you when you got your memories of Armadillo World Headquarters?
You touched on something, THL. I (personally) don't mind a more vibrant downtown area, and for a while, Austin hit just the right ratio of people to fun places to go -- as well as downtown residents. But there's a world of difference between being hopping and turning into a theme park. I love the Jo's location in the Warehouse District. Just love it. Know how many times I go there in a year? Maybe once, if that many. It's just not worth the effort of finding parking, or paying for parking. Same goes for a lot of the eateries, bars, clubs, etc. downtown.

The problem is that when Austin expanded, it didn't take that downtown/Central uniqueness and spread it around all over the city in a concerted, focused effort. There are little pockets of "cool", but nothing to draw a big enough population.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Quote:
Overcrowded, annoying, difficult to get around, difficult to park, I don't even go to Town Lake or Zilker any more because of the crowds. That's not progress.
Agreed. I cringe now when I know I have to go downtown...not fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Well, for several years now, if I have to go downtown I take the bus or a cab (live close enough that it is just a $8-10 cab) ride, and I have a few special places where I know I can almost always find a parking space. Especially when the boardwalk is complete on the south shore, I'll probably start riding my bike to the trail or Zilker or downtown.

Driving and parking will become increasingly difficult but the public transportation options (and walking) are getting easier and easier.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
So, who's good enough to live in Austin anymore? According to this thread, not the middle-aged, not the lower economic group (by areas mentioned as hell holes, nightmares). The new urbanites...younger, prettier, with lots of cash?
Anyone who loves a great vibrant thriving city filled with residents and visitors with lots pf local shops, bars and restaurants to choose from. Curmudgeons who have long left Austin for the suburbs and still pine for a lost city that never was all that great need to apply.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
All I keep seeing is people complaining about the "crowds". Oh the big bad crowds. If one does not like being near a lot of people, one should refrain from moving to a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin