Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

I was planning on traveling through I-35 during Christmas trip. Does anyone know how bad the traffic on I-35 from DFW? Do you guys have a lot of traffic jams with I-35 construction during the Holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I was planning on traveling through I-35 during Christmas trip. Does anyone know how bad the traffic on I-35 from DFW? Do you guys have a lot of traffic jams with I-35 construction during the Holidays?
The entire stretch of I35 between Dallas and San Antonio is a congested drive, full of idiot drivers who don't obey the "fast lane" theory of driving. You can circumnavigate Austin using Toll 130 if you want, but I wouldn't expect things to get any better or worse coming through Austin than anywhere else along the drive. Of course, depends on what day you are driving and what time. 5AM to 9AM xmas morning would be a sweet drive for sure, with no traffic I'll bet.

Steve

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
well in the weekends it will congested.

that does not mean that majority of the road will be at stand still.

I can tell you that personally. I have done Irving (close to DFW airport) to Norhth west Austin under 3.5 hours on weekends.

if there is no big accident. I don't think it should be a problem.

if you are going to downtown austin. you might as well allocate 4 hours.
I think four hours should be enough though.

as for construction. for the past 12 years driving to dallas. there is always some portion of the road under contruction.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The entire stretch of I35 between Dallas and San Antonio is a congested drive, full of idiot drivers who don't obey the "fast lane" theory of driving. You can circumnavigate Austin using Toll 130 if you want, but I wouldn't expect things to get any better or worse coming through Austin than anywhere else along the drive. Of course, depends on what day you are driving and what time. 5AM to 9AM xmas morning would be a sweet drive for sure, with no traffic I'll bet.

Steve
Same with Thanksgiving Day...little to no traffic. I've come to love traveling on Thanksgiving Day within Texas as opposed to the nightmare Wednesday before.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
well in the weekends it will congested.

that does not mean that majority of the road will be at stand still.

I can tell you that personally. I have done Irving (close to DFW airport) to Norhth west Austin under 3.5 hours on weekends.

if there is no big accident. I don't think it should be a problem.

if you are going to downtown austin. you might as well allocate 4 hours.
I think four hours should be enough though.

as for construction. for the past 12 years driving to dallas. there is always some portion of the road under contruction.
Yeah..I swear that all they do is built up and tear down that fork near Hillsboro. I hope to see it completed in my lifetime

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..I swear that all they do is built up and tear down that fork near Hillsboro. I hope to see it completed in my lifetime
Yeah, and that same pudgy little Hillsboro cop has nailed me going about 12 mph (over the limit) twice in the past three years. Quite a speed trap they have there. Never quite sure what the speed limit is through there so now as I approach I just move to the right lane and make sure I'm going slower than the herd.

My daughter attends TCU so I drive the 35W route about 6 times a year now to see her and attend football games (cheaper and funner than UT, I hate to admit as a UT grad). It's been good therapy for accepting other drivers as they are ... complete with their flaws, failings, poor driving skills, texting while driving, tailgating, eating, erratic speeds, ..all of it. Now I just smile and deal with it and mutter "somebody loves you, even if it ain't me".

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 12-11-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same with Thanksgiving Day...little to no traffic. I've come to love traveling on Thanksgiving Day within Texas as opposed to the nightmare Wednesday before.
Hmm, I will probably will be driving through the area on Christmas Eve. Do think there will be ton of people doing last minute traveling then through I-35?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Hmm, I will probably will be driving through the area on Christmas Eve. Do think there will be ton of people doing last minute traveling then through I-35?
Likely so - I have one friend who drove to Dallas from Cedar Park (north of Austin) on the afternoon before Thanksgiving, and the normally 3-4 hour drive took him 7! Hope you have better luck!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I would imagine many non-retail, non-hospitality folks would have Monday off...perhaps allowing the 'finally got off for Christmas' crowd to spread out the travel over a few days.

I could be wrong...but it would be the first time since lunch.

Depending on the final destination, I'd be all over the toll road instead of IH-35.
Do we know where the OP is actually headed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin