Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Friend who lives out there just had her door kicked in...they cleaned her out, down to the socks in her kids drawer.

Get an alarm system. It won't stop smash and grabs, but you stand to keep most of your stuff.
I find it very hard to believe that someone broke into a residence so they could still kids socks. Sounds like BS go me.

Also burglaries happen almost everywhere in Austin. Just to keep things in perspective, the area the OP is asking about is zip code 78745. 78745 had 541 burglaries, which makes it about the third highest number of burglaries per zip code in Austin. 78745 has a population of about 54,000 so roughly one out of every 100 people there experienced a burglary. Also it is worth noting that most burglaries are of vehicles rather then residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolhilltohillcountry View Post
I'm at the gables located at 6636 West William Cannon and planning on staying here until I buy something. I like it close enough to the city center but still far enough to feel out there. I will say the only traffic is during rush hour with freescale leaving. Really good highway access too.
The area this poster is talking about is far West William Cannon in East Oak Hill, NW of Hwy 290/71, which is a significantly different neighborhood, which had only 58 burglaries.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I find it very hard to believe that someone broke into a residence so they could still kids socks. Sounds like BS go me.

Also burglaries happen almost everywhere in Austin. Just to keep things in perspective, the area the OP is asking about is zip code 78745. 78745 had 541 burglaries, which makes it about the third highest number of burglaries per zip code in Austin. 78745 has a population of about 54,000 so roughly one out of every 100 people there experienced a burglary. Also it is worth noting that most burglaries are of vehicles rather then residences.
OP asked if this area is safe. I just had a friend who's house was ransacked in that area. It's not a statistical analysis of crime - it's one point that just happened this week. Sorry you think this doesn't happen, would you like to talk to my friend about it? She's pretty devastated.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM

164 posts, read 310,415 times
I've lived in the 78745 South First/Congress and Wm Cannon area of Austin for over 30 yrs, near Bedichek Middle School. It's one of the largest zip codes in terms of populatrion in Austin, if not the largest, at around 53,000 people. The zip code has lots of ranch style homes built in the late 60's to mid 1970's that have for the most part held up well over the years. I never had a break-in or ever felt like I was about to have a crime committed against me. 78745 is one of the best zip codes in Austin, it's convenient, 15-20 mins from downtown, and it's a fairly nice diversified middle class area and still an excellent bargain compared to the rest of Austin. You'll be hard pressed to find a better bargain than 78745 in Austin. I realizie anything can happen at anytime and anywhere, but I feel comfortable telling anybody they will be safe in 78745.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe25 View Post
Hello I just moved to Austin, Texas and will be attending ACC in the Spring. Because of my budget, I decided to move on West William Cannon which is like a surprisingly short walk to South Congress and less than 10-15 minutes downtown depending on traffic. I'm feeling a little apprehensive because it's not the safest area but there is a grounds officer that patrols the apartments and reports to the police department daily. Was this a good idea on my part or will I be regretting it later? My second choice was Riverside, because of my budget, but I know there's a lot of theft among students and I am more concerned about my safety in that area. Any advice is appreciated.

Well, Manchaca rd, if not Westgate, west is best. The illegal alien community has progressed over from Dove Springs, all the way there.

It has become a barrio, from 1st street East.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The area this poster is talking about is far West William Cannon in East Oak Hill, NW of Hwy 290/71, which is a significantly different neighborhood, which had only 58 burglaries.

Pretty sure he said it was a "short walk to congress" Oak hill is 3½ miles from congress.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, Manchaca rd, if not Westgate, west is best. The illegal alien community has progressed over from Dove Springs, all the way there.

It has become a barrio, from 1st street East.
Your racist spew gets really old. Even if there are Hispanics in the area, that doesn't make them illegal. Nor does it impact the area, or make it a barrio.

My business is smack in the middle of this area you've tagged with your bigoted sputum. Believe me, it a solid middle class neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
There is no question that West William Cannon near Congress Avenue is safer then the Riverside Drive area.

No doubt about that.

Remember when that was all filled with UT students in the 70's and 80's?
That was HOT Babe central, up until the early 90's

Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Your racist spew gets really old. Even if there are Hispanics in the area, that doesn't make them illegal. Nor does it impact the area, or make it a barrio.

My business is smack in the middle of this area you've tagged with your bigoted sputum. Believe me, it a solid middle class neighborhood.

No no no. Illegal alien is not a racist term. It defines those not from this nation. Has nothing to do with anyones skin color, unless you wish to go there and expose how racist you really are.

I'm Hispanic they say.. Native American heritage.
Sorry if I'm not politically correct for you. I apologize.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Anyone can dig through all your posts and see where you stand. You always come harping about "illegals" but what evidence do you have that they are undocumented? None.

In fact, the number of people I deal with @ my SoCo office that are undocumented is far,far lower than at my N Lamar location.

Again, I ask you - what evidence do you have that this area "has been taken over by illegals" besides your own biases and bigoted mindset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin