Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 08:36 PM

32 posts, read 267,623 times

Advertisements

Hi: We will be moving to Austin from the Denver Colorado area. Before this we lived in Ft. Lauderdale Florida for 5 years...can't wait to get back to the warm weather and humidity! Anyhow, we are looking at the areas that I posted above. Our children are in 3rd and 5th grade.

I've heard that North Austin and Round Rock have the best schools...but there are so many neighborhoods to choose from! What do you think about the communnities such as Steiner Ranch, Avery Ranch, etc...or is it better to stick to a "regular" neighborhood.(Our price range is 200-300,000) Also, with all of the building around there, which areas do you think will be the best for the resale value of a home?

I would like to find a community that has lots of children and an excellent middle school and highschool. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 07:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
There are decent public schools in many places around the area, and those you mentioned are generally considered good. Even AISD has good schools if you end up in the right 'chain' of elementary, MS, and high school.

I used to do substitute teaching and got to see lots of different schools in AISD. When you say 'North Austin', that can be a little broad. Anderson HS is probably considered to be one of the best N. Austin HS, but nearby is Lanier HS, which is not. Make sure for any address you know where you will end up (if you plan on being there that long...).

Dripping Springs and Lake Travis, to the southwest of Austin, have good school systems, as does the Southwest austin AISD schools (Bowie HS). Most 'good' High Schools have at least one or two chains of good lower schools, but I am not as familiar with the particulars. In NW austin, Summit, Davis, and Canyon Vista where all well regarded elementaries.

If you are not looking for 'land' (more than the typical lot), than there are lots of choices. You may want to peruse this board some, because there is loads of info out there, it is just a little hard to find. I live in SW Austin (Legend Oaks area) and am in the early stages of raising a family (no school yet!), and love the area. There are prices in the range you mention (some more or less, too), good schools, and fairly easy access to town. Resale value is going up rapidly, I think, but again, have not actually bought a house in a few years .

There are neighborhoods all around that are similar to this. I was under the impression that Steiner and Avery generally run more than the price range you mentioned, but you would have to check it out to see.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
We live right near Steiner Ranch(just moved here from Phoenix) , and our child (who has some minor special needs) is attending the special preschool at Laura Welch Bush Elementary, which is located in Steiner Ranch. Both elementary schools in Steiner were rated exemplary this year - you can go to the TEA website for more info. I was very impressed with the facilities, the teachers, how organized they were, etc. My son is being given much more in terms of resources than in our last school district (a pretty good school district, by Arizona standards).

Steiner Ranch has a great set of amenities, but I am pretty sure you will not get anything in there for under $300,000.(or Avery Ranch, for that matter). If you like that general area or feel, you might want to look farther north into Cedar Park for other communities that might be starting with lower prices. Steiner is more toward the end of its homebuilding than at its beginning.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2006, 07:23 AM

32 posts, read 267,623 times
Thank you both for your information. I guess my next question would be, out of those areas, in which ones do you think that realestate will "hold" its value the best? The reason I ask is b/c I grew up on the North Shore of Chicago, where housing prices never fall and your home continually increases. Then we lived in South Florida where our home value litereally trippled in 4 years...it was crazy. However, now that we are selling in Colorado, it is scary. There are lots of homes on the market and things just take months to sell...and these are nice homes in great areas. I just would rather not be in this type of an area again if I can help it. Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin